Macros Tutorial: Draft

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

bobthedog
Cave Troll

Post by bobthedog »

One thing that maybe would be worth pointing out is that [] and {} don't work well together. Like if you try to do something like:

Code: Select all

[1d20+{Bonus1+Bonus2+Bonus3}]
Hoping that you'll get an output of:

« 1d20+5 = 15 + 5 = 20 »
(where 5 is the sum of all bonuses), it won't work. But you don't want to show all the bonus calculation, so you have two options:

BASIC
[1d20] + {Bonus1+Bonus2+Bonus3}
This one gives you a die roll and the sum of bonuses, but you need to do the addition manually, so you can also do:

ADVANCED
<DieRoll>
{DieRoll} + {Bonus} = {DieRoll + Bonus}
This is also effective for when you need to compare one roll of the die (or dice) to a series of conditions, like:

if(DieRoll == 20, "Crit!", "No crit for you!")
if(DieRoll+Bonus > AC, "Hit!", "Miss")
assigning a roll to a variable gives you a single roll to work with inside a macro.[/code]

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

I might suggest that instead of updating this post for syntax changes, you make a whole new one with the updated information and the build number in the title. I know there are many people who post saying "I tried this and it doesn't work" because they are using a previous build, and not everyone *wants* to use the newest build. Currently I'm holding at 38 to give my players a break. 39's got some neat stuff, but 38's sufficient for my current campaign. It would take a major bug fix or feature to make me force them to upgrade at this point.

BigO
Dragon

Post by BigO »

UntoldGlory wrote:I might suggest that instead of updating this post for syntax changes, you make a whole new one with the updated information and the build number in the title.
I second that. That's a great idea.
--O

I am a small and fragile flower.
http://maptool.rocks.andyousuck.com

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”