Noob macro questions

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Warlawk
Kobold

Noob macro questions

Post by Warlawk »

Greetings and salutations.

I am totally new to online pen and paper gaming and used Maptool for the first time in our session tonight. We are using the dev version (1.3.b45) and I set up some basic attack macros, each custom written for the power I was wanting to use.

I am looking to set up a solid foundation to make my macros quick and easy in the future and had a couple of quick questions.

If I use the Edit, Campaign Preferences function to add new values such as StrMod, ConMod, DexMod etc. and then build my macros around those values, will they function correctly when I log into my DM's game or do we need to be using the same set of values?

Secondly, can I use a series of functions along these lines?

Attack {1d20}
DexMod 4
BowProficiency 2
BowCrit 19
DexAttack {Attack+DexMod}
BowAttack {DexAttack+BowProficiency}

Thirdly, if I use an [if Attack>BowCrit, "Critical"] function in my BowAttack macro will it be able to properly reference the unmodified base d20 attack roll? (I know my syntax is wrong, still learning that but I want to know if the concept will work).

Thanks a ton for any advice or answers you are able to provide.

palmer
Great Wyrm

Re: Noob macro questions

Post by palmer »

Warlawk wrote:If I use the Edit, Campaign Preferences function to add new values such as StrMod, ConMod, DexMod etc. and then build my macros around those values, will they function correctly when I log into my DM's game or do we need to be using the same set of values?
DM's campaign file trumps. If his properties don't include the same ones you're using (spelled and capitalized the same) then it won't work, period.
Secondly, can I use a series of functions along these lines?

Attack {1d20}
DexMod 4
BowProficiency 2
BowCrit 19

Thirdly, if I use an [if Attack>BowCrit, "Critical"] function in my BowAttack macro will it be able to properly reference the unmodified base d20 attack roll? (I know my syntax is wrong, still learning that but I want to know if the concept will work).
It looks like you're defining these all as Properties. While you can have rolls in properties, it's not intended to work that way and results can be unpredictable.

Define your rolls and such in the macros, not the properties. This gives you far more control, as well as keeps the number of properties you need down.

Remember, properties are defined for EVERYONE.
If you set up a BowAttack property, then everyone would have that property, regardless of actually having a bow.

So imagine your old Fighter Mage Cleric Thief group.
Your properties (FOR EVERYONE) would have to look like this.

Attack {1d20}
StrMod 3
DexMod 4
StrAttack {Attack+StrMod}

BowProficiency 2
BowCrit 19
CrossbowProficiency 2
CrossbowCrit 19
CrossbowAttack {DexAttack+CrossbowProficiency}
GreatswordProficiency 2
GreatswordCrit 19
GreatswordAttack {StrAttack+GreatswordProficiency}
MaceProficiency 2
MaceCrit 19
MaceAttack {StrAttack+MaceProficiency}
DaggerProficiency 2
DaggerCrit 19
DaggerAttack {StrAttack+DaggerProficiency}
ThrowingDaggerProficiency 2
ThrowingDaggerCrit 19
ThrowingDaggerAttack {DexAttack+ThrowingDaggerProficiency}
QuarterstaffProficiency 2
QuarterstaffCrit 19
QuarterstaffAttack {StrAttack+QuarterstaffProficiency}

Do you really want that on everyones sheet?

Check out some of the stuff in the User Creations forum for ideas on design for macros and property sets.[/quote]

Warlawk
Kobold

Post by Warlawk »

Thank you for the answers.

I was wanting to use a Properties based system so that it would be exceedingly easy to do new macros for different characters. Doing it on a case by case basis is simple enough, just more time consuming.

The information is much appreciated. :D

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Check out the macro thread that I made sticky a few days ago (in the MapTool forum look for "Macro programming reference?"). There's a link to the "input() and other b42 functions" thread that has a description of ways to handle what you want to do.

Basically, you want a lot of different tokens to be able to handle a lot of different weapons. Using a property for each weapon is a pain because your macros then need to access the properties by name. An alternate technique is to create properties with names such as Weapon1, Weapon2, and so on, then extract the weapon information from those properties. So the Weapon1 property would contain the weapon name, its threat range and critical modifier, its reach, its damage roll, whether Weapon Finesse works with it, and so on. Now each token can have up to 9 weapons and each weapon can be different, although which statistics are recorded inside the property will be the same for all weapons (such as the list I just gave, above).

Warlawk
Kobold

Post by Warlawk »

Thank you for the advice, I may go check that thread. However, if it involves properties I doubt it will happen as our DM is still very much learning the program (the group has done 6ish sessions and is still on the basic default green grass map).

Doesn't mean I can't some here and streamline up my own interface though :D

Daniel
Giant

Post by Daniel »

Hi all, my first post here, although I have been lurking a bit and gotten my head around the basics of MT.

I'm in the process of setting up a campaign, and I'm trying to adapt the token properties, macros etc. to the system we're using as good as I can before we start, to not confuse my players with rule changing along the way.

The system we're using is "Das Schwarze Auge" (appeared as the Dark Eye in english, I think). It's a total mess to play as pen & paper, dice rolls wise, but I guess this is where MT shines in addition to allowing us to play even though we moved apart a couple years ago. Basic skill checks come off no less than three attributes (roll below with a d20, if you roll above you can balance that with the points you have in the skill - additional difficulty modifiers are also possible). Since it's fairly old-school, the skill list has 30-odd entries, plus say 100 spells that work the same way.

After some forum reading and example raiding I got a basic example version of that skill system working as a campaign macro that runs applied to the selected token(s), using token properties. Very nice so far.

Now I don't like to copy that mess of a macro 150 times just to figure out how to to it better afterwards and redo it all. What I want to do is write a basic "skill check" macro that takes a couple arguments (attribute value one through three, difficulty modifier and skill value) and call that from specialized macros. I can then fix special rules (crits...), edit the formatting of the output etc. afterwards in only that basic macro, while leaving the rest alone.

My problems here are:
- How do I call a macro from within a macro? Can I make it apply to the selected token? (Okay, figured that one out.)
- How do I pass arguments? (That too.)
- What does the 'h' in [h: blah macro] mean? ^^
- How would I count the number of crits when rolling n dice? Or rather, when having those dice rolls stored in a list?

Thanks.

Oh, and thanks to the makers of this program, this so owns everything else I've seen so far for virtual tabletops.

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

Daniel wrote:- What does the 'h' in [h: blah macro] mean? ^^
- How would I count the number of crits when rolling n dice? Or rather, when having those dice rolls stored in a list?
h: is for HIDDEN. All the processing inside [h:stuff] will not be output to chat.
Simply going [stuff = 5] will print "5" to chat (and hovering that 5 gets a tooltip showing <stuff>). Generally, any behind the scenes math and processing and stuff, you use h:

The rolls are stored in a list, and you just need to count them (it's not important which rolls are crits, only how many of them are)? Easy.
[h: CritRange = 20]
(This says only rolls of 20 or higher are criticals)
[h: NumCrits = 0]
(initialize)
[h, c(NumRolls): NumCrits = if(listGet(RollList,roll.count)>=CritRange,NumCrits+1,NumCrits)]

You rolled [r:NumRolls] times and got [r:NumCrits] criticals!
Output will look like

You rolled 5 times and got 0 criticals!
You rolled 5 times and got 2 criticals!
You rolled 50 times and got 13 criticals!

Obviously your macro needs to set NumRolls (number of rolls you make) and RollList (the comma separated list of rolls). Otherwise this will do it.

Daniel
Giant

Post by Daniel »

Ah, much appreciated.

One more question:

How can I get rid of Token Property sets I don't want/need anymore? I'm talking about the campaign properties->Token Properties selection list on the left hand side, i.e. I don't want to play D&D and therefore don't want my tokens to have D&D style properties by default. Is there a way to change what property set is applied by default?

PyroMancer2k
Dragon

Post by PyroMancer2k »

Daniel wrote:Ah, much appreciated.

One more question:

How can I get rid of Token Property sets I don't want/need anymore? I'm talking about the campaign properties->Token Properties selection list on the left hand side, i.e. I don't want to play D&D and therefore don't want my tokens to have D&D style properties by default. Is there a way to change what property set is applied by default?
I assume you mean the Token Type List??

Well bad news is you can't get rid of Basic it's there forever as default and from what I can tell you can't change it. But you could simply change the properties in Basic token type :). As for new types you create and no longer want you simply select them then where you can edit there name change it to a blank line and hit update.

If however you mean the actual token properties list that is easy you just delete the properties you don't want and enter the name of new ones just be sure to click update when your done or it won't take.

Daniel
Giant

Post by Daniel »

Ah alright, thanks for the answer. I actually meant "token types". Might actually come in handy to be able to say

"I want PCs to default to {PC token type} and NPCs to (a probably less detailed) {NPC token type}".

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”