Silentstar
Kobold

A bunch of annoying questions

Post by Silentstar »

first: what is the difference between

<--! foo -->
and
[H: foo ]

from what i've been able to piece together they do the same thing, or am i completely wrong here? is there a reason to use one over the other?

second: where can i find some good documentation on how to use Lib:tokens and trusted macros? I found a little bit here:

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=ddbg9zts_3c9kmm4cq

but i wish there was a bit more to it

third: this one is probably more appropriate to ask in this thread:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0

but i sais a "bunch" of annoying questions and 2 isn't a bunch. Question is, what is the status of the documentation project, it looks like there was a flurry of activity there in september and then it kind of faded off. last update was that Orchard was still planning some stuff out, but that was two weeks ago (I mean, c'mon. J/K). It would be good, i think, if the wiki could be set up as soon as possible, even if there's not a lot of organization yet. Just expanding on what PillBox put together would be great to have. (great job and thanks a lot for that, btw) The thing doesn't need to be perfect to start out. Even a skeletal outline of things would be way more helpful than searching through the forums for what a person needs.

kazinsky
Giant

Re: A bunch of annoying questions

Post by kazinsky »

Silentstar wrote:first: what is the difference between

<--! foo -->
and
[H: foo ]

from what i've been able to piece together they do the same thing, or am i completely wrong here? is there a reason to use one over the other?
The difference between those two is that one is for commenting out code (<--! foo -->) and the other just Hides lines of code from showing in the chat window.

I don't know the progress status on the documentation, but if I recall correctly, those that are involved are waiting on the completion of 1.3 before documenting code. (Most likely due to the rapid changes between beta releases.)

Hope that helps some.

mmbutter
Cave Troll

Re: A bunch of annoying questions

Post by mmbutter »

kazinsky wrote:The difference between those two is that one is for commenting out code (<!-- foo -->) and the other just Hides lines of code from showing in the chat window.
That's incorrect. There is no functional difference between the two in the example. But if you have dozens of commands it is inconvenient to put a "H:" in front of each. You can eliminate output from large blocks of code using the HTML comment markers - the code, however, runs as normal, you just don't see the output.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Actually, thats not even technically true.

<foo> simply comments out the text string "foo"

[H: foo] will retrieve the value of the variable foo and hide the results, optionally prompting you for the value if the variable foo is undefined.

<!-- --> is an html(actually SGML/XML) standard comment block, which the [H: ] was an addition to the macro syntax language added in the past few months. Prior to the H: tag being introduced, the only way to hide macro calculations was to embed them inside the html comment tags.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”