Macro Documentation Wiki

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Craig
Great Wyrm

Macro Documentation Wiki

Post by Craig »

I have started consolidating all the documentation I have from posts, patch notes, emails to players in my group, the vim doco I have created and one or two other sources and I am putting them into a wiki

I haven't added all the stuff I have yet but it does contain a complete list of macro functions, along with a descriptions, arguments, and for most cases small example (there is no use in some cases).

I will be adding more soon but as it is a wiki feel free to create an account and add/update info (even if it is not macro related). I am sure many would appreciate it if people could post examples of macros with descriptions if they have them.

Natha
Dragon

Re: Macro Documentation Wiki

Post by Natha »

Excellent work !
Very handy.
Thank you.
ImageImageImageImage

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Looks good, Craig. Thanks for taking the initiative.

It looks like the RPTools logo might be a little too wide for the left-side margin. Does it look that way in your browser? (This is Safari 3 on a Mac.)

Crudeboy
Giant

Post by Crudeboy »

It does look a bit wide, but aside, awesome!
Nixon's Theorem:

"The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on."

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

Azhrei wrote: It looks like the RPTools logo might be a little too wide for the left-side margin. Does it look that way in your browser? (This is Safari 3 on a Mac.)
Yeah the image is a little too large I will get around to resizing it soon :)

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

I have added the dialog/frame tutorial to the wiki, and the [ ] formatting options.
Anyone can edit it and add to it(you just need to create an account which is easy).

If you have any information/tutorials for maptool (even if it is not macro related) this is a place you can post it for everyone to see, as its easier to keep up to date and browse than the ever increasing sticky count :)

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I've added a page on branching and looping options (as well as the CODE option). Please feel free to fix, edit, etc.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Folks, I'm going to give this a few days, maybe until just after Christmas, then I'm going to Sticky this thread and unsticky the others dealing with macro documentation (that means the MT FAQ will stay, as well some of the others).

My point in declaring this now is to get people motivated to sign-up for the wiki and add their documentation to it. In the short term, if you think there's a thread here on the forum which does a really good job of explaining topic "X", then add a link to that thread to the wiki. In the longer term, we'll get the information from the forum into the wiki.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Since I'm sitting around, I also added a couple short entries explaining (to some extent) token properties, as well as what "string property lists" and "string lists" are. I'm not a programmer, though, so if I've overlooked some jargon or used incorrect jargon, please correct!

Edit: Also added/updated (these fell mostly into short pages that are primarily definitions of terms with brief explanations and perhaps some examples)

Branching and Looping - updated to include the MACRO(): option
Trusted Macros brief explanation - Macros:TrustedMacros
Token Properties brief explanation - Token:token_property
Token Property Type brief explanation - Token:token_property_type
Token State brief explanation - Token:state
Library Token - Token:library_token
Special Variables - list added; macro.args page created
MapTool Glossary - quick glossary

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

I have made some fixes to the syntax high lighting to include syntax that was not previously in there, but the colors are still god awful, if anyone has a better color scheme please let me know ;)

Also if there are and mediawiki plugins that need to be added let me know.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Craig wrote:I have made some fixes to the syntax high lighting to include syntax that was not previously in there, but the colors are still god awful, if anyone has a better color scheme please let me know ;)

Also if there are and mediawiki plugins that need to be added let me know.
Craig - the only mediawiki plugin I can think of that might prove useful is the Glossary extension (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Glossary) for some of the terms that pop up frequently. I believe it provides the definition of the term as a tooltip.

However, it's not critical - just a thought.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

Rumble wrote: Craig - the only mediawiki plugin I can think of that might prove useful is the Glossary extension (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Glossary) for some of the terms that pop up frequently. I believe it provides the definition of the term as a tooltip.

I have added it, I hope its not a problem but looking at the edits they require you to make to the php file for the newer javascript tooltip library I think it may have a problem in firefox so if people complain I may have to disable the tooltip for now (you can still use it to easily create glossaries though).

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Craig wrote:
Rumble wrote: Craig - the only mediawiki plugin I can think of that might prove useful is the Glossary extension (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Glossary) for some of the terms that pop up frequently. I believe it provides the definition of the term as a tooltip.

I have added it, I hope its not a problem but looking at the edits they require you to make to the php file for the newer javascript tooltip library I think it may have a problem in firefox so if people complain I may have to disable the tooltip for now (you can still use it to easily create glossaries though).
Cool. Okay - there is another glossary already set up (at Macros:Glossary; it's just a plain page I worked on the other day) - should be relatively trivial to migrate that to the "Glossary" page.

And yeah, I ran into the "tooltip gets stuck on the mouse pointer" problem. As they say, it's fixable, but...annoying.

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

Rumble wrote: And yeah, I ran into the "tooltip gets stuck on the mouse pointer" problem. As they say, it's fixable, but...annoying.
I applied the suggested fix, it doesn't seem to work for fire fox but does for safari... So I need to look into it some more.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

One recommendation on the syntax highlighting - I have no idea how you do this, but if you made the background light gray or even white, that would make it a bit easier on the eyes (although it might require an alteration in the cyan-like color used for the text).

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”