Macro Documentation Wiki

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Craig
Great Wyrm

Re: Macro Documentation Wiki

Post by Craig »

zEal wrote:
Craig wrote:as long as who ever created the picture doesn't mind us using it for the wiki.
I didn't even consider this... I guess I figured that even though the wiki is hosted by you, it wasn't 'separate' project.
Never hurts to be sure :) I have asked if we can use it when I find out I will let you know

zEal
Dragon

Post by zEal »

Craig wrote:Never hurts to be sure :) I have asked if we can use it when I find out I will let you know
I asked as well, I wonder if we went for the same person... I chose the 'webmaster' :P

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

zEal wrote:
Craig wrote:Never hurts to be sure :) I have asked if we can use it when I find out I will let you know
I asked as well, I wonder if we went for the same person... I chose the 'webmaster' :P
Jector has kindly allowed us to use the banner pic, he also said there is an alternate version http://gallery.rptools.net/d/35374-2/Rp ... er_001.png if we would like that instead.

zEal
Dragon

Post by zEal »

Good to hear, thanks Craig (and Jector!) :)

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

No problem, guys. :)

For the record, anything I post here at MT as far as art goes is available for you to use, modify, or burn in effigy depending on your feelings about it.
I cast firecube! ~4E

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Hmm, y'know, it might be nice if the user profile had a chunk of free-form text that the user could fill in. Then the generous folks like Jector and torstan could fill it with that statement ("Things you see posted here are free to use").

Or maybe a link field? Then the link could point to the appropriate license URL?

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

zEal wrote:Good to hear, thanks Craig (and Jector!) :)
Thanks to Jector for the banner, and zEal for the work on the skin the wiki now has a new skin. This should be the default for new users, existing users may have to edit their preferences to get the new RPTools skin...

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Craig wrote:
Thanks to Jector for the banner, and zEal for the work on the skin the wiki now has a new skin. This should be the default for new users, existing users may have to edit their preferences to get the new RPTools skin...
Mine came up fine (surprised me, actually), but it looks very nice. I like!

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

Rumble wrote:
Craig wrote:
Mine came up fine (surprised me, actually), but it looks very nice. I like!
I think it should come up unless you have changed it in the past (even if you then changed it back to the default)

Merkuri
Giant

Post by Merkuri »

I had to change it myself, but it looks awesome! Great job!
Adventure is not outside; it is within.
--Found in a fortune cookie on game night

MapTool Framework for Sufficiently Advanced

Merkuri
Giant

Post by Merkuri »

Something that just occurred to me while I was looking at the wiki, could we add the Macro reference page and/or the Macro functions page to the sidebar? I go to those pages a lot when I'm writing up macros, and I'm sure lots of other people do, too, so it makes sense to make them easily accessible.

zEal
Dragon

Post by zEal »

$wgCategoryTreeSidebarRoot = Macro;

is supposed to be able to do that, but I thought we were trying to move away from the more macro-centric approach that was previously being taken.

Merkuri
Giant

Post by Merkuri »

I wasn't saying to make the sidebar ALL macro stuff. I think changing the sidebar root is a bit much.

Just keep it the way it is but add an additional link to one of the macro references (either just the functions or the Category:Macro page). If there are other popular non-macro pages we can add those as well.

zEal
Dragon

Post by zEal »

Merkuri wrote:I wasn't saying to make the sidebar ALL macro stuff. I think changing the sidebar root is a bit much.
$wgCategoryTreeSidebarRoot wouldn't change the sidebar root(if there were such a thing), it merely adds a new sidebar portlet with a category tree, and sets the root of that tree.

$wgCategoryTreeSidebarRoot = MapTool; would probably be better, and it could eventually be switched to = RPTools; if/when there is categorized documentation for the other tools.

You can also add the CategoryTree to specific pages, I've added a couple examples to my sandbox:
http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/User:Verisimilar/Sandbox

Miar
Cave Troll

Post by Miar »

Just wanted to chime in on my thanks for the wiki I just started going through it a few days ago. One section I would like to see is something going over when it is better to use StrProps and when it is better to use JSON. I'm also finding it a bit hit or miss finding my way around it for instance the only way I've found to get to the entry on "input" is to go through the entry "Creating a List Input with Names and Images". There's not a real read this first then read this next for the Macro section. Right now I read one thing, try and get it to make as much sense as I can then go to another, then go back. Some things I never figure out like just what is a "meta name". That all said this is a great resource. :)

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”