Help please?

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Syne
Kobold

Help please?

Post by Syne »

Is it possible to allow players to select unowned tokens without letting them modify them and still make library tokens work?

Also, I've found this quote in the macro wiki:
Be aware that if these macros are going to access properties on a token, the token must be identified somehow. The two common approaches are to apply the macro against the currently selected tokens or for the macro to be written such that it prompts for the user to select a token.
Can you show me an example of how to do so? Would this option be available to players targeting unowned tokens?

Mathemagician
Dragon

Re: Help please?

Post by Mathemagician »

It is not currently supported unless you start the server with "Strict token ownership" unchecked, which lets the players modify the tokens.

There is a feature request in the MapTool > Feature Request forum, for this very issue.

Rumble
Deity

Re: Help please?

Post by Rumble »

Syne wrote:Is it possible to allow players to select unowned tokens without letting them modify them and still make library tokens work?

Also, I've found this quote in the macro wiki:
Be aware that if these macros are going to access properties on a token, the token must be identified somehow. The two common approaches are to apply the macro against the currently selected tokens or for the macro to be written such that it prompts for the user to select a token.
Can you show me an example of how to do so? Would this option be available to players targeting unowned tokens?

There is a Wiki tutorial here that illustrates how to create a macro that will create a dialog box with a drop-down list of available tokens. From this point, you can write macros to take the token the user selects and do things to it (though the tutorial does not go that far).

I use this method to allow targeting of other tokens without having to switch off "strict token ownership," and it does work. It's not as natural as clicking on a target directly, but it is perfectly adequate (at least, IMO).

There are many ways to generate lists of tokens to select from; the wiki tutorial is just one.

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”