Going back to basics (my brainstorming)

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Rumble
Deity

Re: Going back to basics (my brainstorming)

Post by Rumble »

And in a grand first step toward a vision of MapTool instructions - full of pathos and bathos and ethos and all those things - the first Quick 'n Dirty Guide to Doing Something in MapTool is now on the wiki.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Azhrei wrote:I'm a programmer at heart, so I tend to love the detail -- the minutia that is the automation of an application. (I see my wife do something manually once or twice in a spreadsheet and I can't figure out why she hasn't automated it! And even more frustrating, why she won't let ME automate it for her! 8))
I am the same way, I HATE doing monkey work(ie, something over and over such as typing the same 3 button combo multiple times). And my wife is the same way as yours. I drives me crazy when she won't let me automate something that takes her 3 minutes to do that a script could do in 3 seconds if she has to learn a different interface...
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Awww...the powers what be didn't like "quick 'n dirty." :D

To Verisimilar (in case he or she pokes his or her head in here): I didn't realize we were moving out of namespaces; my bad.

wacko76
Cave Troll

Post by wacko76 »

Rumble wrote:Awww...the powers what be didn't like "quick 'n dirty." :D
hehe,

I like the way the Wiki is expanding quickly, especially with the Macro descriptions being added. It's nice to be able to look up the synthax, but before that you need to know what a function actually does.

I think, one of the really next things to explain is "The Complete and Ancient Lore of Maptool Repositories", since as soon as a GM will have maps and games session, people will start to complain about load times, unless the GM is hooked directly into his area's backbone.

zEal
Dragon

Post by zEal »

Rumble wrote:Awww...the powers what be didn't like "quick 'n dirty." :D

To Verisimilar (in case he or she pokes his or her head in here): I didn't realize we were moving out of namespaces; my bad.
No harm, no foul. :) It just reminded me that there were still a lot of articles that weren't residing in the main namespace.
wacko76 wrote:I like the way the Wiki is expanding quickly, especially with the Macro descriptions being added. It's nice to be able to look up the synthax, but before that you need to know what a function actually does.
The Macro Function category should help a bit with that... if you're looking for a function that works with states, you look at the functions located in the State Function category. :)

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Okay, introduction to game hosting is up. It's not complete, but it's almost complete.

A couple things need to be addressed:

1. Links to other pages on the wiki (like the definition of token, for instance, or "properties").

2. What does "restricted player impersonation" do?

3. Someone should look at the networking details to make sure I didn't say anything dumb. I know how networks work, but I don't know if I can explain how they work!

zEal
Dragon

Post by zEal »

Rumble wrote:Okay, introduction to game hosting is up. It's not complete, but it's almost complete.

1. Links to other pages on the wiki (like the definition of token, for instance, or "properties").
Looks great :D I'll take a look at your wikilinks once it tells me you're done editing.
Rumble wrote:2. What does "restricted player impersonation" do?
I believe that restricts players to only being able to impersonate tokens that they have ownership of... I could be wrong though.
Rumble wrote:3. Someone should look at the networking details to make sure I didn't say anything dumb. I know how networks work, but I don't know if I can explain how they work!
Looks straight-forward enough... you might want to include a link to PortForwarding.com along with your link to the FAQ.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

zEal wrote:
Rumble wrote:Okay, introduction to game hosting is up. It's not complete, but it's almost complete.

Looks great :D I'll take a look at your wikilinks once it tells me you're done editing.
Rumble wrote:2. What does "restricted player impersonation" do?
I believe that restricts players to only being able to impersonate tokens that they have ownership of... I could be wrong though.
Rumble wrote:3. Someone should look at the networking details to make sure I didn't say anything dumb. I know how networks work, but I don't know if I can explain how they work!
Looks straight-forward enough... you might want to include a link to PortForwarding.com along with your link to the FAQ.

Okay, i think it's done. I can't believe I forgot "portforwarding.com." As for impersonation...that could probably be put in the Glossary section, but I don't know how to explain it! Thanks for looking it over!

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

Just a short reply...

And I wanted to reply in Developer's Notes, but at Trevor's request- I won't.

This is all great. Exactly what I would hope would start happening. Its getting me motivated to get started with some simple functionality as Rumble and JFrazierJr suggested.

One comment while I'm here at work.. while I have a few minutes.

The Wiki? I've been to it before. But now I can't find it. I'm googling it, but coming up with other Wiki's where people have posted their resources that they use with MapTool.. but not actually an offical one. (no foolin'!)

Howabout a link to the Wiki from a very easy to find location.. Like the FAQ, or the Links?

And if it's already there, I'll cop to be a fool in advance.. but in the meantime, I've been rummaging around looking for it.. even though I know I have been there before. Its great if a poster provides a link on the forums, but maybe a high profile link is in order (unless, again, its already there and I'm just a fool).
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

The link is here: http://lmwcs.com/maptool/index.php?title=Main_Page

But I do agree, it should be prominent (assuming that's okay with the developers). I note that there's no link to the wiki from the RPTools page for MapTool. I don't know if that's intentional (perhaps to avoid scaring people off?) but it should at least be in the FAQ if it's not already there.

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

I found it!

http://lmwcs.com/maptool/index.php?title=Main_Page

After bombing at the FAQ, I went to MapTools, and there was a sidebar with Specialized FAQ just for MapTool, and the link was there...
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

Rumble wrote:The link is here: http://lmwcs.com/maptool/index.php?title=Main_Page

But I do agree, it should be prominent (assuming that's okay with the developers). I note that there's no link to the wiki from the RPTools page for MapTool. I don't know if that's intentional (perhaps to avoid scaring people off?) but it should at least be in the FAQ if it's not already there.
Beat me to the punch!

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Ya know... I think that the basic Videos and tutorials should really kind of spell out the minimum that you need to do. People have different levels of what they want Maptool to do. For example, for he GM about all he has to have is a map, either created in Maptool or imported. Things like Light, VBL, macros,etc are not required to learn to use maptool. So something like:
Minimum features to know in order to host a game:

* How to create or import a map
* how to start a server
* how to chat

Other features (you are not required to know or use these features, but they may enhance your game play experience.):

* Light
* Vision Blocking
* Simple dice rolling
* Simple macros
* Templates

Complex features (things you should attempt only once you are comfortable with all of the above):
* Intermediate macros
* Complex macros and automation
Of course, this is just an example and there are some things missing, but I really think this type of layout could really help people to not get information overload. Perhaps even doing some timings for each section so that someone new can follow the directions. So for example, saying the first section normally takes someone around 20 minutes to become comfortable with the process so that it's repeatable. Of course, the section for Complex macros/automation could take anywhere from a few hours to weeks worth of play time depending on exactly what the persons level of experience is thinking in logical terms as well as exactly what features they need to use.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

I know for myself.. I'd like to know how to do everything in the first section, and vision blocking and light control. Possibly also everything else in the middle section.

Vision Blocking and Light control is something I actually find difficult on a real battlemat. That might sound odd, but I usually plot out the whole map (because I work in construction estimating and have access to a plotter, and I have a friend who works nights in advertising for a large city newspaper).

I often use all sorts of contraptions and artifice to cover up parts of the map that have not been explored, and never can be bothered to cover back up those sections that have been exposed but are now out sight.

Exposing what can be seen is awkward, especially with wizards throwing light spells as cantrips. I like the idea of MapTool bringing all that minutia back under some regulation.

As for Macros and such.. I am contemplating using a tool like DM's Familiar to help regulate and control combat.

In time, perhaps the full functionality of MapTools will eclipse the need for an additional program.. but it could be a place to start from.

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”