Wiki Updates: Intro to Tokens, Stack Size, other stuff

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Rumble
Deity

Wiki Updates: Intro to Tokens, Stack Size, other stuff

Post by Rumble »

I put up a new intro guide, this one on Tokens, available here.

I also put in a short page on stack size - I know there are FAQs here and elsewhere, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. However, I would like someone - when they have a moment - to go look and make sure I didn't say anything egregiously stupid. I'm not a programmer (which might be a good thing sometimes) but I want it to be accurate.

I also updated the other guides to use thumbnailed images; conserves some space and gives them a more "clean" look.

Thanks!

Paradox
Dragon

Re: Wiki Updates: Intro to Tokens, Stack Size, other stuff

Post by Paradox »

Friggan awesome!

+1 to Rumble! He's been doing a lot to document MapTools for the Basic User! :D
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Heh, thanks. Considering that MapTool is the reason I can play RPGs regularly again, after many years of not-playing, and it's a prodigious labor of love for the developers and contributors, I figure I should chip in and give some back. I can't program Java, but I am happy to help out with stuff I can do.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Couple of suggestions for the Intro to hosting an I am posting here, so sorry.

In the section about networking, right before port forwarding, could you put something like:

"There are several ways to set up your network to allow Maptool to be hosted over the internet. UPnP, port forwarding, or an external Virtual Private Networking software package. Depending on your computer, ISP, and hardware (such as cable/DLS modem and/or router), will determine which of these options will work for your setup."

Then put UPnP first since it's the easiest and fastest IF it works. Followed by PF, and then VPN software as a last resort. You don't need to spend a lot of time talking about VPN's and how they work, but if we could link to Hamachi and perhaps one or two others, that might help.

In the section on GM Password, I would suggest adding something like "The GM password is used to provide someone with full access to the campaign remotely, though there are a small number of features which cannot be done remotely such as loading a campaign. This is typically used for a secondary GM so that GM duties may be shared, but can also be used in cases where the GM may not be able to get hosting set up properly and has one of his players host the session."
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Looks good to me! I'll get those changes in; I agree they will improve it.

bobthedog
Cave Troll

Post by bobthedog »

Oh, this reminds me of something... I've been meaning to add stuff to the guides (or to start some guides that are not yet there), but formatting them has made me delay it so far. Would it be okay to just type a lot of guidance and leave the images/formatting etc. for someone more inclined to do so? In that regard, if someone here in the forums is interested in working on some guides with me, I'll gladly provide text.

(Oh, a proofreader would come in handy too, since I am a non-native speaker, no matter how hard I try to fool myself.) :mrgreen:

zEal
Dragon

Post by zEal »

bobthedog wrote:Oh, this reminds me of something... I've been meaning to add stuff to the guides (or to start some guides that are not yet there), but formatting them has made me delay it so far. Would it be okay to just type a lot of guidance and leave the images/formatting etc. for someone more inclined to do so? In that regard, if someone here in the forums is interested in working on some guides with me, I'll gladly provide text.

(Oh, a proofreader would come in handy too, since I am a non-native speaker, no matter how hard I try to fool myself.) :mrgreen:
I'm okay with this; I usually peek at the formatting of new additions anyway. >.>

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Rumble wrote:I put up a new intro guide, this one on Tokens, available here.
Nice work Rumble.

Just a minor note, you can bring up the Note of a token/object with a single-click. Doesn't need a double-click.

bobthedog
Cave Troll

Post by bobthedog »

zEal wrote:
bobthedog wrote:Oh, this reminds me of something... I've been meaning to add stuff to the guides (or to start some guides that are not yet there), but formatting them has made me delay it so far. Would it be okay to just type a lot of guidance and leave the images/formatting etc. for someone more inclined to do so? In that regard, if someone here in the forums is interested in working on some guides with me, I'll gladly provide text.

I'm okay with this; I usually peek at the formatting of new additions anyway. >.>
Okay then, I'll start going around messing with stuff... I'm trying to at least do some formatting as I go, but let me know if I make too much of a mess.

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”