help with: Reveal hidden tokens macro, PLS?!?!

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Rumble
Deity

Re: help with: Reveal hidden tokens macro, PLS?!?!

Post by Rumble »

Slayve2DnD wrote:Okay, so now its not tossing me the error, but there's still something not working properly. In the chat window, the token image is showing like it should with run on selected token, however it is not saying the result of values plugged in such as takes 5 damage or anything. CurrentHP and MaxHP are properly changed in Token Properties but they don't change in stat-sheet
CurrentHP 20
MaxHP 30
DisplayHP { 25 } / { 30}
Is DisplayHP written exactly like this in the Campaign Properties?

Code: Select all

DisplayHP(HP):{CurrentHP}/{MaxHP}
I set it up on my system (using b56) and it appears to be working for me.

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

Post by Slayve2DnD »

Okay, so I got it working now, I didn't realize I shouldn't be changing {CurrentHP}/{MaxHP} with actual values, that was something that confused me when I originally had the empty window pop up that forced me to spam the enter key until I could right click the token and input values for Current and Max. It didn't do the window when I put them in there, and figured they should be put here and not in the other lines since the other lines weren't being displayed. I swear I do my best thinking/problem solving on the throne lol. Sorry I drug this out by not understanding that, but I see now that { } denotes some variable.

"Please sir....can I have some more?" The knowledge it feeds me! Thanks again.

Edit: However I'm still not getting text in chat window that says the targeted token is receiving health or taking damage. The Tokens image is popping up then a : like it would show text, but nothing after the :
I'm not retarded...I'm a simple creature...there is a difference.

fencewebdesign
Cave Troll

Post by fencewebdesign »

Does anyone have a Lib:Token that does this? More specifically I am looking for a way to make groups of tokens visible all at once. Say an ambush and bam! make archers pop up from group 'Ambush1' but leave the boss and the rest of the archers hidden that are surrounding them since they belong to a different group 'AmbushFinal'

If no one has anything like that I'm sure I can create a loop and use the code you have posted here to make one... I have however started programing several things before finding out if they are around and well lol all of them have been so I ask first!

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

Post by Slayve2DnD »

I could not get the code to work, but I MAY have been putting it in the wrong place? Having known less than I do now, then. I was trying to do something similar to what you're wanting to do, in the end I just paused the fight, and made them visible individually., What I can suggest as an alternative to singly turning them visible is to keep the boss and whoever else that's in AmbushFinal either off the map copied ready to be pasted in, or just outside the encounter area, hidden. You could click+drag over all the npcs/pcs in the encounter area and turn them all visible with a right click on one of them. Be careful if you use Rumble's framework though, hidden enemies can still be the target of powers, revealing the enemies before they are shown.

fencewebdesign
Cave Troll

Post by fencewebdesign »

No worries lol, I didn't even hear of Rumble's framework until I had already started using Veggies... I'll get it figured out:) I do plan on having a token able to belong to more than one group and each groups settings apply just to make my life more complex than it needs. Then have a hierarchy for which group takes precedence. And finally at the top a list of individual tokens in a display group and hide group - both resettable with a button... Now I'm not gonna promise this code will be efficient lol. I have a bad habit of nesting ridiculous amounts of loops till I get my ideas organized and go 'AH!' anyways ramblings. Did you do any more messing on it besides what you had posted in this thread? If so I'd like to get what you have to date if you still have it lol.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

When building my map, I put the bad guys on the Token layer and Visible to Players. Once I have them setup where I want them, I draw a selection box around the entire group and drag the entire group into an area of VBL that is off-screen.

Do the same thing with each group, putting them into separate VBL areas.

Now you can select a group of them at a time and move them into place with one drag operation. Since they're on the right layer and already visible, there's nothing else to do.

This might not work so nicely if you want to give one or two of them vision so that they can detect the party when they approach. In that case, I move them to the Hidden layer and give sight to the lead lookouts/scouts. Then I can select them all and move them to the Token layer pretty easily.

fencewebdesign
Cave Troll

Post by fencewebdesign »

:shock: But Im really REALLY bored

Important note, everyone who wants a good way to do it Azhrei has one /|\. Me, eh I'm going to waste ridiculous amounts of time doing it to save me 20 seconds once or twice in a campaign 8) (maybe someone else at some point might find it useful once or twice too)

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

fencewebdesign wrote::shock: But Im really REALLY bored

Important note, everyone who wants a good way to do it Azhrei has one /|\. Me, eh I'm going to waste ridiculous amounts of time doing it to save me 20 seconds once or twice in a campaign 8) (maybe someone else at some point might find it useful once or twice too)
Well...If you want to do it the really hard way, you could use some combination of createToken() and moveToken() (not really sure on the exact name of the last one ATM but it starts with move*.)
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

fencewebdesign
Cave Troll

Post by fencewebdesign »

jfrazierjr wrote:
fencewebdesign wrote::shock: But Im really REALLY bored

Well...If you want to do it the really hard way, you could use some combination of createToken() and moveToken() (not really sure on the exact name of the last one ATM but it starts with move*.)
Now that's just ridiculous! :P

*edit although, I could create the group normally, and then 'move' them out of site a 1000 squares north but XD again, ridiculous :)

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

fencewebdesign wrote:Now that's just ridiculous! :P

*edit although, I could create the group normally, and then 'move' them out of site a 1000 squares north but XD again, ridiculous :)

Hey, your the one that said you were BORED....I was just trying to give you something constructive to do. :P
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Slayve2DnD wrote:Be careful if you use Rumble's framework though, hidden enemies can still be the target of powers, revealing the enemies before they are shown.
Does it? I have all the "getToken()" calls set to get only visible tokens; it should not detect anything invisible to players - in other words, hidden by fog or with "Visible to Players" unchecked.

On the other hand, it will detect enemies that have the "Invisible" state, though, which I should fix.

Edit: but wait - invisible just provides a -5; you can attack invisible enemies. Hm.

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

Post by Slayve2DnD »

That was a REALLY good simplified idea Azhrei, that's what we all get for over-thinking complex macros and whatnot. fence, no, I didn't mess with macros to try and get it to work, the selection and make visible worked well enough for what I was doing when I made the thread, I may yet delve into more complicated things upcoming as my ideas expand into more complex encounters. Again if they are in range of the pcs powers using a framework they can still be targeted. Another way similar to Azhrei's is to have a map with your encounter groups set up in the formation you want, go to that map do a selection and copy/paste them right where you want them. I feel that might be faster than dragging the group from VBL, but that depends on how close the VBL is to your encounter location.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Quick note: with regard to frameworks picking up tokens that are not visible, I see what the issue is - "visible" doesn't just mean "has Visible to Players" checked - it actually means literally visible on the screen.

So, if you're the GM, and you set a token to be "not visible to players," and then test a framework power, you will see the invisible token in the target list because it is still visible to you, the GM. If you click "Show as Player," though, the framework only picks up the token that players should see.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Slayve2DnD wrote:[...] Another way similar to Azhrei's is to have a map with your encounter groups set up in the formation you want, go to that map do a selection and copy/paste them right where you want them. I feel that might be faster than dragging the group from VBL, but that depends on how close the VBL is to your encounter location.
This is better than my suggestion if you don't mind the delay involved with changing maps, and it can be used on a single map as well if you still hide the bad guys inside a block of VBL.

I think the bug has been fixed now, but in an earlier version, dragging an NPC across the screen that was not Visible to Players still showed the token label (!) so cutting and pasting was a better technique. And there was another bug in which the token label showed up if the token was within VBL but the label would extend out of the VBL (this has been too, IIRC).

My problem with cut/paste has been that my tokens seems to lose their TopDown status sometimes. I don't have a specific way to recreate it ... it might be based on changing layers from Token to Object and back again, too. I just know that it happened a couple of times in a recent game session and I didn't take any notes on the situation. :(

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

Post by Slayve2DnD »

Yah, I hadn't thought about that with the GM view being able to target hidden npcs, thanks for the clarification Rumble.

I don't use top-down view Azhrei, so I wouldn't know how to fix that, but I've been using the copy/paste from another map since I started using Rumbles framework. Its just been easier to set up my npcs, traps and help with pc editing all on the same map as the tokens I make them from, cluster them as needed with a test dummy target to test all my macros on. Of course testing npcs I have to change my target dummy to a pc but its still useful to check and make sure I'm not going to get thrown an error mid-encounter, have to stop to fix.

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”