videos--do we need new ones?

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

aku
Dragon

videos--do we need new ones?

Post by aku »

and if so, would anyone be willing to outline what needs done? i'm not overly proficient with the various tools, using maptools really only as a player, but do have access to professional video equipment, and some skill at making things look "spiffy". would there be any interest in getting something like this done?

brad
Great Wyrm

Re: videos--do we need new ones?

Post by brad »

What we have will be updated over the next 3 or 4 months(I am assuming you mean the tutorial videos). I have just been a little slow to get started as 1.3 isn't quite done yet and I am also in the process of updating my set of macros.

If you have more experience in this sort of thing and better equipment/programs allowing you to make better looking videos I would be willing to let you take over the lead. I am just an amateur with a 3 versions old Camtasia program I am using to make the screencasts. I have never made videos like this except for MapTool. I am changing up the tutorials a bit as I go through them this final time. What are your thoughts?
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

well, i've got a DVcam video deck, premiere pro from when i was in college (oh so long ago) and some audio recording software...somewhere (although, i so don't mind letting someone else record the audio..my voice /=sexy sounding) I can output the direct video feed to tape, recapture it and edit it together, oh, and possibly add some royalty free music to it... :D

zEal
Dragon

Post by zEal »

aku wrote:I can output the direct video feed to tape, recapture it
These sound like completely unnecessary steps. /shrug I a huge fan of Adobe Captivate, we use it at work to instruct the cubies on new software features and it works great. It's a little pricey >.> but if someone wanted to come up with some scripts, I could work on one during lunch.

brad
Great Wyrm

Post by brad »

Sorry, you sort of lost me. I am not sure what all of that is and what will outputting to a tape and then putting stuff back together do to improve the current videos. I suppose music at some points could be nice(intro and credits), but when you are looking at an instructional video I think it could be more distracting. Are you looking at doing something besides instructional screencasts? What am I missing?
View MapTool video tutorials at RPToolsTutorials.net

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

zEal wrote:
aku wrote:I can output the direct video feed to tape, recapture it
These sound like completely unnecessary steps. /shrug I a huge fan of Adobe Captivate, we use it at work to instruct the cubies on new software features and it works great. It's a little pricey >.> but if someone wanted to come up with some scripts, I could work on one during lunch.
eh, perhaps, but it has a couple of benifits. first, it makes it easier to highlight multiple things at once, as i understand most capture programs, you'd need to stop the file you were on, and go back and do it again, and secondly, and perhaps most importantly, video editing is what i love :D

And no, i do mean the instructionals, but in some cases, atleast the last ones i saw... there was a lot of drag and click, with no speaking, as things were demonstrated, those areas, i think, would improve with a little light music behind it.

maybe it's just the art student in me

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”