How do I change the Health Bar image(s)

Doc requests, organization, and submissions

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

How do I change the Health Bar image(s)

Post by Slayve2DnD »

Ok, so I want to change the plain green bar to the multi-colored bar in the default folder of maptool resources...I've tried messing with it but everything I do gets undone as soon as I hit OK, what am I doing wrong? Should I delete the Health bar thats there then create a new one for its spot using the 100% bar as the image? A step-by-step of "do this" would be helpful so I don't screw anything up like I thought I did earlier when I got an infinite loop of errors and had to force MapTool closed (couldn't begin to tell you the process I did in order to get that result either).
I'm not retarded...I'm a simple creature...there is a difference.

Rumble
Deity

Re: How do I change the Health Bar image(s)

Post by Rumble »

Slayve2DnD wrote:Ok, so I want to change the plain green bar to the multi-colored bar in the default folder of maptool resources...I've tried messing with it but everything I do gets undone as soon as I hit OK, what am I doing wrong? Should I delete the Health bar thats there then create a new one for its spot using the 100% bar as the image? A step-by-step of "do this" would be helpful so I don't screw anything up like I thought I did earlier when I got an infinite loop of errors and had to force MapTool closed (couldn't begin to tell you the process I did in order to get that result either).
It would be nice, wouldn't it? I have no idea how to use anything but the default two-color health bars.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Hm. I think I figured it out.

Okay, here's what you do:

1. Edit > Campaign Properties, and go to Bars.

2. Select the Health Bar.

3. In the top area, select the Type drop-down, and pick Two-Image.

4. In the Images box, click "Add"

5. Navigate to your resource menu (under .maptool, which is in your user directory), and go to Health Bars.

6. Pick the file HB000.png. This will be added as the "Base" image.

7. Click "Add."

8. Pick the file "HB100-ylw-grn.png". This will be added as the "Bar" image.

9. Click "Update."

10. Click "OK."

Then, when you use the bar, the "bar" image will be super imposed on the base image, and as you adjust it downward, it will remove the colored bar, leaving only the base image.

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

Post by Slayve2DnD »

Yah I managed to figure out what I was doing wrong about 10 minutes after I posted, didn't get around to closing the post before my game started. Players liked the new bar...perhaps the Jamaican colors were the clincher....
I'm not retarded...I'm a simple creature...there is a difference.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

That dialog is a UI nightmare.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Hmmm... the healthbars (and all the new images that are supposed to be in MT) aren't visible in my .maptool/resources directory.

I suspect it has something to do with upgrading to the latest edition from b46 because none of the new stuff is there (new minis, etc.)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Hey, Full Bleed - you can get them in your Maptool directory by selecting Help > Restore Default Images, and then restarting MapTool. They won't be put in there until you do that.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Rumble wrote:Hey, Full Bleed - you can get them in your Maptool directory by selecting Help > Restore Default Images, and then restarting MapTool. They won't be put in there until you do that.
Yep. Did the trick. Thanks. I figured it was something like that. :)

Looks like someone fixed the canvases on my old health bars. Back when I made them they had to be put on a square canvas to work right... then after some MT upgrades to states they didn't work quite right and I never got around to fixing them up.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Threid
Kobold

Post by Threid »

I recently made my own health bar images (a simple Red->Yellow->Green gradient) from scratch in GIMP, and imported the images into Maptool. That way, I was able to specify details like color and number of increments.

I started with a 52x4 canvas in GIMP. I placed a 1-pixel black border around the image, then filled it with a gradient. This gave me 50 squares of gradient to play with, for as many as 51 increments. I went with 26 instead. I saved the image as the full health bar (1.png, for simplicity's sake). Then, I erased successive 2-pixel portions, saving after each erasure, until I ended up with an empty health bar.

In the Campaign Preferences/Bar UI, I chose "Multiple Images," with 26 increments. Then, I just added the images I'd created in GIMP, in the correct order, until every increment had an attached image. The images showed up as squares in Maptool, which worried me a bit until I applied the bar to a token; it looked fine. For some reason, Maptool warped the images in the Bar UI.

I don't recall the exact order in which I clicked "Add" and "Update" to add the images to the bar, and the bar to the campaign file, but I do remember that I was having problems at first. The health bar would be created properly and show up correctly, but when I closed the campaign and re-opened it again, it had disappeared; I had to reassemble it again. I ended up solving this somehow (perhaps by exporting/importing the campaign settings), but I don't remember the exact steps I took.

In any case, glad you got everything working!

Return to “Documentation Requests/Discussion”