New D&D Campaign using Maptools - Zarem Runedar

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

skester
Giant

Re: New D&D Campaign using Maptools - Zarem Runedar

Post by skester »

After resting up without incident, the party decided to go south through the chapel to make sure they weren't attacked from behind.

They seem to be really paranoid about being attacked from 3 fronts.

So they re-entered the chapel and were immediately attacked by two spiders dropping down from above.
ZR-Dwarf-Chapel.png
ZR-Dwarf-Chapel.png (246.82 KiB) Viewed 6629 times
Seeing no more immediate danger they continued south again.
ZR-southhall.png
ZR-southhall.png (95.96 KiB) Viewed 6629 times
The south hall was heavily cobwebbed. Carefully entering the party came to a square room with two doors - one on the east wall and one on the west. There they were set upon by a sword claw spider and a small spider. Then two small spiders emerged from their dens in the ceiling and attacked from behind. The spiders didn't do much damaged, but managed to poison Karl the Paladin, draining his Strength significantly, as well as Graorin the Bard and Yan the Monk slightly. But the party survived without much HP damage done to them, dispatching the vermin.

They found the doors to the east and west barred from the other side, and a stairwell to the south leading up. However the stairs were filled with rubble and debris preventing anything from transversing it.

So back up to the Chapel. Two doors on the east wall, one to the north of the alter, one to the south. Going to the north door, figuring it would meet up with one of the doors in the rough tunnel to the north, the ranger found a trap. Trying to disable it, he set it off, but luckily managed to avoide the spear trap.

Unlocking the door the party found what would be considered the "motherload" for the refuges. When the Dwarfs moved out they packed a lot of their furnishings away for future use.
ZR-Storeroom.png
ZR-Storeroom.png (252.52 KiB) Viewed 6629 times
Beds, tables, blankets, crates, utensils and non perishable supplies stacked from the floor to ceiling. This room represnted civilization to the survivors. Leaving the way they came and relocking the door, the party went back north to the railway and continued down to the 2nd door to check it out. They never noticed that the goblin bodies were now gone.

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

Checking out the second door along the railway, the Party opened up the door and came across a goblin who immediately took off to the south.

Heading off in pursuit the party started to pass a door and stopped. Afraid that they'd be attacked from behind, they let the goblin go in order to check out the door.

Paranoa big time.
ZR-Easthall.png
ZR-Easthall.png (306.88 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
Finding a circular stairway to the south they continued on. Passing a gate on the east side with what looked like a pit on the other side they were set upon by a large force of goblins and dire rats.

The dire rats in the front, the goblins started chucking spears from behind. Karl the Paladin and Yan the Monk out front fighting the rats, Rataan the Dwarf Ranger waiting behind to step forward. Graorin the Bard cast sleep on the goblins putting several to sleep, allowing Yan to tumble forward and into a flanking position and Rataan to attack. The goblins sleeping the fight was still a long one. With reduced strength the party was not hitting or doing as much damage. The rats however were not doing very well either. Graorin kept crowd control with the use of Daze.

When the rats were down to the last one, Karl stepped forward letting Yan and Rataan to deal with it.

Karl WOKE A GOBLIN UP, ALLOWED IT TO STAND UP, ATTACK HIM and then attacked the goblin!

By this time, the goblins were starting to wake up anyways, and the battle was once again on. Fighting for their lives, the goblins tried, but couldn't stand up to the might of hte players. One took off, taking some damage, leaving his fellows to be slaughtered. He travelled around the corner and dissapeared down a goblin hole dug into the ground.

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

3rd session with maptools!

1st thing the Party did after the goblin battle was travel back up the hall a bit and check out a door the battled next to. Once again paranoid they'd be attacked from behind, they found another set of stairs leading up.

Advancing back to the west, they came to the hole the goblin escaped down. On the west wall was a door blocked by garbage, crates and junk. A fireplace and some cook stoves adorn the northern area, and two empty rooms to the south indicate this was some type of inn or mess hall of sorts.
ZR-SECorner.png
ZR-SECorner.png (314.97 KiB) Viewed 6610 times
Looking down the goblin hole, it would be a tight squeeze for any medium size character, especially in armour. So instead of trying to crawl through, they took the garbage blocking the door and tried their best to block the hole instead.

Then heading back they checked out a couple of doors they passed. The door to the south lead to a washroom (unused by the goblins of course) and the door to the north was locked. Unlocking it they round an unused bedroom. Open books on the desk crumbled to dust upon touching it.

The party then returned to the recently unblocked door and head back to the chapel to investigate another door they hadn't explored yet.

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

Oh yeah, there was also a goblin love nest to the north. Filthy and disgusting.

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

Heading back to the chapel, they went to check out the south door. Rataan did a search of the door and discovered a trap the hard way.

A huge blade sliced out from the wall and sliced into the Dwarf Ranger. Ouch.
PriestQuarters.png
PriestQuarters.png (319.88 KiB) Viewed 6604 times
Once getting by the trap and locked door, the party found a "torch" with continual light still going strong, with a slide down cover to "turn off the light" and some religious texts which the bard found nice (Lots of doom and gloom).

They locked the door and rested here for the night.

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

It's been a while since I've posted. Lots has happened in the many sessions since then. Macro updates galore. I've been learning lots, and my macros are finally starting to become my own, though I still have lots of borrowed code.

Back to the story. After the players rested for the night, they returned to the South East doors and the Paladin decided to bust them open. Spending round after round he finally burst through the barracaded doors only to be set upon by some dire rats, goblin yoots and a wounded goblin spearman.

After a short battle they entered the "Rottery". Goblins don't like their food fresh, preferring a more flavorful and slimey taste. So when the the goblins found the dwarf steam room, they found it a nice place to spoil their food.
Rottery.png
Rottery.png (418.1 KiB) Viewed 6584 times

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

From there, the brave adventurers just checked out little bits here and there throughout the level. No encounters, got some misc information (mostly in Dwarvish) about Zarem Runedar. Except for one trapped door that the Dwarf wasn't confident that he could disarm. I think they forgot about it. Just remembered about it now. It's in the NE corner down the hall from the fish tank.

Level 1 finished! They went up to the "Main Level" by the North East stairs by the mine tracks.
Fishery-full.png
Fishery-full.png (456.31 KiB) Viewed 6580 times

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

It's been almost 3 months since my last update.

A lot has happened. I'll try to summarize soon.

I'm really loving maptools, I'm finding out more and more about it every day (or week) it seems. The forums and the wiki are awesome places to find out new things.

I just wanted to talk about our framework. I may have mentioned before that we started off with lmarkus's framework, and that's largely what our framework started out as, with tweaks and mods to suit our tastes. But while some stuff is still recognizable as lmarkus' it's starting to take on a life of it's own. You'll probably find bits and pieces of code for other frameworks in there as well... What can I say, I'm not a programmer. I'm learning this stuff as I go along, so the code isn't the most optimized or the best.

One of the things my players hate is the number of macros they have to use. They want to keep it simple and easy to use. So the interface is a big deal. So to keep it simple I have very few campaign macros that the Players use. And due to the Players not wanting to always have their token selected, the framework requires that they be impersonated to work.

Things are still in work, I'm currently working on the character classes - going through the classes that are currently in play.

But anyways let's get on with the good stuff.
CampaignMacros.png
CampaignMacros.png (5.57 KiB) Viewed 6545 times
Currently this is pretty much what the players use. The Action Box is for Hand to Hand combat, spells, bard abilities, touch attacks, etc. Ranged is for Ranged touch attacks and weapons. CM (Combat Maneuvers) is still in work. HP, Skills and Saves is a quick use set of macros. And use Cure Potions and Scrolls is for equipment that can cast cure spells.

But let's start off with the character sheet

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

The Character sheet is fairly simple.
CSStats.png
CSStats.png (36.59 KiB) Viewed 6545 times
I've kept it pretty plain on the left hand side. Start off with your Class
CSLevels.png
CSLevels.png (13.23 KiB) Viewed 6545 times
Here you simply put in what level you are, your BAB and how many levels you have of your Favoured Class (Pathfinder)

Hit Points, I actually keep track of your Hit Points per level. Have to change the Toughness Feat and Favoured Class to drop downs, but no biggie
CSHP.png
CSHP.png (11.94 KiB) Viewed 6545 times
Saving Throws are detailed more in tooltips.
CSSaves.png
CSSaves.png (5.18 KiB) Viewed 6545 times
Armour Class and Weapons are the familiar lmarkus' inputs.

Experience is based on your level. Right now I'm using the hard Xp from pathfinder. Gave the option to just add XP which adds to your total, adjust it if you screw it up, and keep a log (brief description and XP you got from that session) which is nice.

Skills was the first time I used CSS. Decided to Bold the skills you have Ranks in, otherwise it just shows your total. ** is untrained, and N/A is unusable.

Selecting the skill allows you to edit it.
CSSkills.png
CSSkills.png (11.14 KiB) Viewed 6545 times
This is Pathfinder skills.

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

Of course at the top of the Character Sheet I have different Pages. Main, Feats and Equipment show up on all the characters. Otherwise you get pages only related to your classes.

Next up Feats.

What can I say, but it's in work.
I have to work on the formatting so it's easy to view as well.
SCFeats.png
SCFeats.png (20.89 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Equipment is fairly simple, there's not really much to it. It's more game specific.
CSEquip.png
CSEquip.png (14.43 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
I have to macro Show Ammo, but for that it's if it shows your ammo for Ranged weapons on the mouseover.
ShowAmmo.png
ShowAmmo.png (130.81 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
Healing Potions and Scrolls (And Wands too I guess) are a quick inventory for the healing macros. Simple way for the characters to keep track and use them.

Dropable items... Well not all PCs have very high Strength, and in order to be unencumbered in combat they'll put down their backpack, or drop their crossbow when they charge into combat. In order to facilitate this, the players own NPC tokens relating to their gear. Usually these are hidden. When they are "Dropped" they are moved to their current location, sent to back and changed to tokens. When they are picked up they are moved to the hidden layer. I have a special "Light Source" one for lanterns and such. That one moves the light source from your token to the dropped items token, and back to you when you pick it up.

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

Each Class has a tab on the character sheet as well.
CSBard.png
CSBard.png (20.9 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
I do not check automatically to see if your stuff is correct, just like I wouldn't go over your PnP character with a fine tooth comb (okay, maybe SOME players). The class tabs are mostly for special abilities, spells and such. Just data management.

In the case of the Bard and Sorcerer, you tell it how many spells you get per day (and can adjust how many are left), and the spells known.
BardSpellsKnown.png
BardSpellsKnown.png (18.23 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
This translates directly to the Bard Spell Casting macro.

This Macro lists all the spells you know, how many spells you have left, and tooltips what the spell does exactly. When you reach 0 spells, the spell will not cast, but instead remind you that you are out of spells.
BardSpellCaster.png
BardSpellCaster.png (170.56 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
Sorcerer and Bard work the same way

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

For the Paladin, there was so much stuff that I had to do it with 2 Character Sheet tabs.
CSPaladin.png
CSPaladin.png (30.23 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
Most of this is just text reminding the PC what is automatically calculated and what isn't.

Normally Adjusting Smite Evil and Lay on Hands would not allow you to go over your limit per day. If you actually put in 57 for the adjust lay on hands left, it would automatically reduce to the number you had. I edited the token so I could do testing with Mercies.

Mercy just adds a little note to the chat when the Lay on Hands ability is used.
Mercy.png
Mercy.png (12.05 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
For Divine Spells I have it set up so that you put in how many spells you get in a day, and then what you have memorized per level.
CSPaladinSpells.png
CSPaladinSpells.png (78.29 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
If you have more spells memorized than you get, it shows a little blurb. I'll have to change that so it's more noticeable.

For actually casting the spells, I have another macro that will automatically count down how many spells you have left of a given spell, and remove it from the list if you have no more left.
DivineSpellCaster.png
DivineSpellCaster.png (5.6 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
Again it's tooltipped if you go over the (i)

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

For Casting a spell, most of the time it just puts a blurb in the Chat Window, with tooltips for the Spell Description again (love tooltips). If a save DC is required, it usually will put that in as well (ie Fort Save DC 14 Required)
CastingSpell1.png
CastingSpell1.png (97.19 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
However certain spells are a bit more involved.

For My Cure Spells (Cure Light Wounds, Lay on Hands), it will actually check and see what tokens are within Range of the spell and have them in a pull down list.
CureWoundsSpell.png
CureWoundsSpell.png (288.98 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
And it will automatically adjust the Hit Points of the token that you are healing. Adjusting the HP total and HP bar at the top.
CureResult.png
CureResult.png (12.87 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
I have detailed other spells to have token modifying abilities as well. For example Inspire Courage will automatically adjust PCs within range and give them the appropriate abilities

For example, when Graorin Inspires Courage, it automatically gives those around him bonuses.
InspireCourage.png
InspireCourage.png (365.87 KiB) Viewed 6544 times

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

Now for the good stuff. Combat!

For attacking and actions I have 3 dockable frames. Action Box, CM (Combat Maneuvers) and Ranged Action Box. While all are technically in work, the Action Box is closer to being done, and all are very similar.

What they do is go through your token and build a list of what you can do based on your Race, Class, Level and Feats.

They only give a few consistant options, the rest are based on what you have.

Here's a Bard that has Arcane Strike and his options.
Action-Bard.png
Action-Bard.png (6.16 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
He has a "secondary" weapon equipped under his weapons so he can choose to use this instead. Inspire Courage is a full round action at his level so if checked that's all he does. Keep Singing decreases his songs per day value. If neither of these are checked then his bard song effect is automatically removed.

Note the Bard has a shield equipped. If he didn't then it would actually give him the option for Two Weapon Fighting, giving the appropriate penalties for his feats, or lack thereoff and if the weapon is light or not.

Here's a Monk with Combat Expertise
Action-Monk.png
Action-Monk.png (5.59 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
Here's a Dwarf Ranger. It gives the options for Racial Hatred, Favoured enemy, and since his Primary and Secondary weapons are both one handed, Two Weapon Fighting choices.
Action-Ranger.png
Action-Ranger.png (6.02 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
Lastly the Paladin.
He has Power Attack so it is shown, and his Paladin Abilites for Smite Evil and Lay on Hands.

This player likes to roll his own dice at times instead of letting the PC do it for him. So with this checked, it displays the dice to roll and the bonuses to add. :D
Action-Paladin.png
Action-Paladin.png (7.05 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
Again with the tooltips for the (i) for finding out what exactly that does.

For what it displays when you choose "action"...

Here's some examples of combat (showing tooltips for certain results)
CombatGraorin.png
CombatGraorin.png (12.45 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
CombatKarl.png
CombatKarl.png (10.66 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
CombatRataan.png
CombatRataan.png (13.96 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
CombatYan.png
CombatYan.png (13.44 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
For the tooltips, I have it set up so it only shows what you have a bonus in (except Str for Damage, and BAB for attack). So if you are flanking it will show the +2 bonus, if you aren't and the value is +0 it won't show it.

I think it may be slowing the macro down. :(

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

Here's the Ranged Macro I'm working on. Doesn't have the tooltips yet.
Ranged.png
Ranged.png (4.86 KiB) Viewed 6542 times
One thing about it is that if you Do Not have "Precise Shot" it will give an option for "Fire Into Combat" which will give you the penalty. If you have the feat, it doesn't give that option since it negates the penalty.

Return to “Session Report-Back”