Cross-continental D&D

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

Chrest
Cave Troll

Cross-continental D&D

Post by Chrest »

I'm sure we're not the first to do this, but MapTool was incredibly handy the past few months, as it allowed me to continue playing with my D&D group, despite the fact that I spent most of the summer in India. We had already been using MapTool because the members of our group live in three different US states, so apart from the greater time difference, not much changed. However, there was something intangibly cool about playing in a campaign with people on the other side of the world, and being able to kick back with my buddies and play a session of D&D once in a while certainly made adjusting to India's very different culture a lot easier for me.

FWIW, we're playing a pre-made 3.5 campaign (whose name escapes me at the moment, since I'm not the GM), and we're using Ventrilo for chat. My Vent ping in India hovered around 400 ms, but we had surprisingly few issues with lag.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw in my MapTool success story. I also want to add that playing D&D over the internet has been fantastic in general, since it has allowed my group of high school friends, who all discovered D&D at different times, to stay in touch despite living (even when everyone is in the US) hundreds of miles apart. Without our campaign, I would see these people maybe once a year over the winter holidays, but now I talk to them on a weekly basis.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Cross-continental D&D

Post by Azhrei »

Chrest wrote:I'm sure we're not the first to do this,
Heh, not by a long shot!
Anyway, I just wanted to throw in my MapTool success story. I also want to add that playing D&D over the internet has been fantastic in general, since it has allowed my group of high school friends, who all discovered D&D at different times, to stay in touch despite living (even when everyone is in the US) hundreds of miles apart. Without our campaign, I would see these people maybe once a year over the winter holidays, but now I talk to them on a weekly basis.
Maybe that should be the new MapTool tagline: "Bringing people together." 8)

We're glad you're having such fun with it, Chrest. And this can be an inspiration to people who have trouble setting up a network connection -- if it can work across 12 time zones, it can certainly work across two or three!

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Re: Cross-continental D&D

Post by trevor »

Thanks for the note Chrest, always fun to hear !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “Session Report-Back”