Long Loading Times

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

Gralamin
Kobold

Long Loading Times

Post by Gralamin »

This is a problem I've had for quite a while with maptool - Long loading times for maps. A 5.21 MB campaign file could take over an hour (With certain connections). I've had this trouble for many versions, and have tested it both on my Vista x64 and XP x86 partitions. In all cases, certain individuals have experienced very fast and efficent load times, while others seem to drag on forever.

So, are there any suggestions on how to improve this? I'm guessing its a problem with some people's routers, but I have no idea what to check for. Help?

neofax
Great Wyrm

Re: Long Loading Times

Post by neofax »

If your ISP provides you with any webspace, use their servers to host your assets. You can do this by File-->Export-->Campaign Repository. Then when this is done unzip the file and ftp the whole folder to your webspace. Now, back in your MapTools go to Edit-->Campaign Properties[TAB]Repository and add the weblink to your index.gz file on your webspace, like so: http://www.comcast.com/~billiebobs/Camp ... l/index.gz. Then hit OK and have the players connect. Caveat to this is if you make any changes to the objects/backgrounds/hidden, you will need to re-do the steps as the assets have changed, otherwise you will be serving the data from your system.
Time-Zone information UTC -5

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

+1

There are other threads here on the forums that discuss the use of image repositories as well; I think there's a Sticky even. But a search should find them, too.

Gralamin
Kobold

Post by Gralamin »

I've used Image Repositories before, and they don't seem to give any real increase in speed. I'll try again though, since that was back in b55.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

It definitely helps if the following are true:
  • ISP/Paid Server has a fast connect up and down
  • Players ping time to said ISP/Paid server is less than ping to you(otherwise might as well host yourself, but theoretically this should not happen as the packets should be being routed thru ISP's DNS servers)
  • DM's PC is old and CPU spikes consistently causing lag as MapTools is waiting for processor
  • DM continuously updates files on server each time map assets change
If the above is true, then theoretically, the ISP/Paid server will always win. Before I am flamed, I do know that this is very simple explanation, but that is why I state it is all in THEORY!

Gralamin
Kobold

Post by Gralamin »

neofax wrote:It definitely helps if the following are true:
  • ISP/Paid Server has a fast connect up and down
  • Players ping time to said ISP/Paid server is less than ping to you(otherwise might as well host yourself, but theoretically this should not happen as the packets should be being routed thru ISP's DNS servers)
  • DM's PC is old and CPU spikes consistently causing lag as MapTools is waiting for processor
  • DM continuously updates files on server each time map assets change
If the above is true, then theoretically, the ISP/Paid server will always win. Before I am flamed, I do know that this is very simple explanation, but that is why I state it is all in THEORY!
My computer is definitely not what you'd call old :P. I'm trying to get my ISP server ftp to work to try that. They seem to be having a problem with authentification currently.

Return to “Session Report-Back”