Just started running D&D using Maptools

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

dicehead
Kobold

Just started running D&D using Maptools

Post by dicehead »

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for making Maptool available. I've just started using it and it's been great. We're playing D&D 3.5, I haven't DM'd for about 10 years but it's running really smoothly with maptools. We've run three pretty long sessions now and had no problems at all though I'm only using the most basic chat and token moving functions at the moment. I got a bit adventurous and slapped down a home made map of a town and it helped no end being able to have players show me exactly where they are moving. The dice roller and impersonation are great too, I had a lot of fun making my zombies groan and mutter things as they shambled around.

I haven't quite figured out the vision blocking and unblocking, it sounds very simple in the tutorial so it probably is but following the tutorial didn't seem to hide things from the player. I haven't had a really good go at that yet though so it's probably simple to sort out. I get splash: recv failed a lot when I try to launch the tool but if I try it again a couple of times it seems to work. I'm on the latest version of Java.

I just wanted to say thanks really, I'm sort of in the middle of nowhere and an hours travel each way cuts into our gaming time a lot so it's great to be able to just connect and start playing.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Just started running D&D using Maptools

Post by Azhrei »

Welcome to RPTools, DH!

If you'd like, we have a thread where you can introduce yourself -- it's over in the General Discussion area, I think. It's called "Nice to meet you...", IIRC.

We're glad you've found MapTool so useful. :) Hopefully you'll have a chance to try out the other tools as well; they may play a smaller role in tabletop gaming, but they can help things along just the same.

If/when you have problems using MapTool (network connectivity is a big one; lots of folks have issues there) join us in the MapTool forum and we'll help you get any issues straightened out. We're a pretty friendly bunch here. 8)

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

Maptools is an awesome tool!

Since you are playing 3.5, I suggest checking out lmarkus001's framework over on http://forums.rptools.net/viewforum.php?f=33

The macro's make a lot of stuff easier.

I'm working on my own framework right now, it requires a lot more work and it's designed for how my players want to see the macro's (more dialog boxes, less macro buttons). It just gets a lot easier to play with the macro's.

With regards to the error, are you using a 64 bit OS and 64 bit java and or 32 bit java? And are you launching via the .bat files or the MapToolLauncher? One of my players had that error you are getting, I'll ask how he fixed it.

Skester

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Most likely the reason your VBL isn't blocking anything is you have the map set with vision off. You need to set it to day or night for the VBL to do anything.
You can change this in the Map menu in the top left.
Drop-In Utilities:
My Spell Manager for D&D3.5 and PFRPG
My Inventory Manager for D&D and PFRPG, but more generally useable than that.
My Message Manager -- My Top-Down D&D Token Images
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

dicehead
Kobold

Post by dicehead »

Thanks that's sorted it! Thanks for the tip on the framework too, that makes life a lot easier! A reinstall of Java seems to have sorted the error out, I'm not sure why though it was the same version.

Return to “Session Report-Back”