Rodinia III - The Scourge of Larin Karr

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

http://www.rodinia.info/whatsnew.htm

Updated with the events of last night.

Another 'death' (coma) tlast night. That's 3 deaths in 10 sessions. Still all 1st level!
The guy in the green hat.

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Updated with the events of last night. Finally, after 11 sessions, the party found the gates to the Lost City of Barakus and hence levelled up to 2nd level. I am pretty certain that not since 1st edition have I had a campaign where it took in excess of 40 hours play to reach second level. But we're all loving this slow progression!

Lots of new stuff happening in the campaign apart fom the main plot - even to the extent that they are now turning down the captain of the city guard's request to help him as they feel their main quest is more important.

As for Matp tool, well we tried a different approach last night. I hosted the session on my server downstairs. I connected to it on my laptop as DM and one of the players connected as a player. We connected the projector to his laptop. So he took responsibility for moving the PC tokens about and for showing what they could see. This was automatically displayed on my copy of maptool on my laptop. The was awesome from my point of view as it meant I could effectively leave them to explore of their own accord at their own speed and just describe what they saw as they moved their tokens about the board. We now only use figures when we're in combat where each player wants to control exactly what they are doing - they move their figure and the player with MapTool running moves the corresponding token around on the board. It works like a dream.

DMGenie was used last night and it was good to get it out again. It saves me having loads of windows open and also does an awesome job of things like the calendar. Very good!

Cheers
Blakey

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Blakey wrote:It works like a dream.
Sweeeeeeeeet :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Had a little revamp of my web site yesterday: -

I improved the main map (still need to redo snap shots of all the countries to get improved versions for all of them but that will take some time).
I wrote a few more words here and there about the place.
I reorganised how you can access individual country entries in the gazetteer (now by continent).
And most visually significantly I changed the style sheet to completely alter the theme/look of the place. I love CSS for that - alter one little file and because every page in the site links to it, the whole site changes instantly. Bliss!

Any comments on the new look?

Blakey

http://www.rodinia.info/index.htm

trevor

Post by trevor »

Blakey wrote:
Any comments on the new look?
It's easier to read than the last one that had so much white.

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Another death. That's 4 in 12 sessions. Quite a lot for me. This one died to the evil eye of the sea hag, if its not obvious from the write up, as in our campaigns you don't count as actually dead when you die in the standard D&D rules.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Yikes, gives the others a greater sense of mortality, which heightens the thrill I think

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Maptool did great again. Running face to face I am hosting the server on my desktop downstairs. I connect on my laptop in the games room to control it from a DM point of view - moving the monsters mostly. The players connect from one laptop which is attached to the projector. They move themselves around the map and use Ctrl-I to show what they can see as they move. This gives the players a real sense of control over moving and has released me to concentrate on everything else I need to worry about which is awesome. All I have to do is describe areas as the players wander into them.

Non MapTool point: Another thing we have started doing recently which is REALLY good is using the optional "The Players Roll All The Dice" rule. This really has helped to keep everyone interested in the combats and again frees me up from rolling dice and leaves me to concentrate on the important stuff which is DMing.

Biggest 'gripe' from the players this session with regards to MapTool: They really would love the ability to set up a Train and only drag one or two tokens around and automatically have everyone line up and follow. That would save loads of hassle.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Blakey wrote: Biggest 'gripe' from the players this session with regards to MapTool: They really would love the ability to set up a Train and only drag one or two tokens around and automatically have everyone line up and follow. That would save loads of hassle.
Point taken :)

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Updated with events from last night.

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

So, 17 sessions played - each about 5 hours in length. And the party are still only second level. We've had three deaths so far. I'm not giving XP out as such, just letting the characters level up as and when I feel I want them to. They are very near to levelling to third level - probably when they solve the silver crisis (Idyls of the Rat King, by Goodman Games).

Here's the current roster atfter 17 sessions:

Buglear, human rogue1/monk1. Orginial character.
Geddon, dwarven ranger2. Original character.
Hadrall, dwarven illusionist2. Original character.
Leroy, half-orc barbarian1/cleric1. New character.
Khallis, human paladin2. New character.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Leroy .... classic !

Return to “Session Report-Back”