Rodinia III - The Scourge of Larin Karr

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Hawke wrote:
Blakey wrote:I guess maybe work has some firewall issue stopping me connecting. Would that make sense?
I work for a defense contractor that has several nonstandard ports blocked to prevent bad things from sending out data on unaccepted ports.. or something.

I wonder if you switched the port to 80 (http) if it might work connecting from work? That is, switch the server's port and the client's port.
Been speaking to a network chap here at work and I've figured out what the issue is - it is the firewall at work. So all I need to do is select a standard port like telnet (23) and host the server on that - I'll need two for two campaigns of course. Then set up port fowarding on those ports on my router for maptool and I should be able to access the server from work - and heopfully most people will have access to port 23 from wherever they are so it should increase the access to my servers.

Will set this up tonight and report back...
The guy in the green hat.

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Restarted servers on more friendly ports so I should be able to access them from work. Hopefully you should be able to access them as usual through the RPTools connection.

'Manabas', connect as Player, no password.
'Endhome', connect as Player, no password.

Both maps have been updated today - to add clickable notes to all interesting places (especially Endhome) and to reveal where the party have been (and currently are) in Manabas.

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

http://www.rodinia.info/whatsnew.htm

Updated with the events of last night.

We had our first death last night - in only session 5. Due to the nature of the campaign I'm not awarding XP but simply going to level the PCs up when I feel its is appropriate - and that is going to be a long time from now. There is loads of material for them to play out and if they level up in the normal way they'll scoot past it.

One side effect of this is that they are going to be 1st level for a long time. They elected to take a caravan (as guards) up through Fools Pass which they knew to be very dangerous. Along the way they encountered lots of ogres, ghouls, orcs and other more exotic beasts (like a xorn) and sure enough eventually the odds were against them.

Will be interesting to see what they decide to do next!

Oh, BTW I took my server down. So don't bother to try connecting to Manabas or Endhome as they are not up any longer.

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

From another thread:
Big_Mac wrote:Minor point, I can not read your forums any more.
Yeah, sorry about that but we got so much spam and a whole bunch of denial of service attacks so we shut the forums down to just members only. If you want me to set yuo up an account so you can log into the forums (and contribute!) let me know by posting on this thread...

(that goes for anyone off these boards)

Be aware that currently the only members of the boards are the guys who I game with and we're all good mates to there's lots of off topic chatter as well about other stuff we do - but that's mostly confined to the Off Topic thread area so you shouldn't get too spammed with our personal chatter...

Cheers
Blakey

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Cracking session which was mostly roleplaying and did include one of the PCs getting thrown in jail for a day for disturbing the peace when he punched another party member and knocked him out with one blow for no obvious reason!

The party went into the city sewers last night and I'd set up the whole place with LBL and was able to have them exploring as they went. It really works well. They also loved the ability to scroll out to see a map of where they have been and then scroll into tactical level very easily.

We did discover one connection issue but I'll post a seperate thread about that.

MT is excellent!

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Updated our GamesRoom page with new pictures of us using MapTool. Could do with some more I think...

http://www.rodinia.info/GamesRoom/

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

That is ..........

FREAKING AWESOME !

Man that's cool !

You should post a link to this page in the External Links forum, under "Setups" or something.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

trevor wrote:You should post a link to this page in the External Links forum, under "Setups" or something.
Okay, will do...

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

trevor

Post by trevor »

Fun read, thanks for the update !

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Updated with the events of last night. We had another character death which is always sad.

They've hit the orc caves which are a massive dungeon crafted entirely using MapTool. Its blinking cool being able to apply vision to each individual and also adding light where its required. This works very well indeed even though its not perfect. The players are loving the instant and accurate reveal nature of the MapTool engine and everyone keeps saying how much its improving the game.

Lovely stuff!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Death by spiked club. Tragic.

Thanks for the update !

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Another update: http://www.rodinia.info/whatsnew.htm

Note that after careful consideration I decided Geddon was not dead but rather mashed into a coma and he could be brought back to health with a ceremony in the temple which would be the equivalent of a 5th level Raise Dead spell and would leave him with 1 Neg Energy level (the same side effects a Raise Dead has in our games). This would cost 1000gp. Basically he got a cheap raise dead as the game is such a low level and I want characters to continue rather than having lots of new PCs in all the time.

9 sessions gone and STILL 1st level! Going back to the style of old 1st edition and I'm pleased to say the players are loving it. They did earn another 2nd level 'cookie' last night due to their successes and are close to reaching 2nd level officially soon. They'll get that when they find the Gates to the Lost City of Barakus - i.e. the entrance to the next level down in the dungeon - as this is a big step forward in the campaign plot which is how I'm judging XP advancement.

Map Tool was absolutely AWESOME last night. Had a client on the projector displaying at 1 square equals 1" on the tabletop and had the server such that I could zoom in and out and move my map around without it updating the table top view. That way I could control the tokens for an entire warren of ratmen and see where every single ratman was including all those they could not see. Worked like an absolute charm!

InitTool was also top draw. Using that every session and have yet to have it get Init wrong even with all the delaying and readying my party do. And even when I get something wrong the ease with which you can drag and drop to change the Init order makes it a breeze. This also is used to show me the stats of the monsters and NPCs and I'm keeping their HP in InitTool too. As a result I'm no longer using DMGenie at all. Oh, and adding trackers for spell durations in InitTool is a breeze and as far as I can see is working like a dream!

Thanks for all your work guys - your tools have taken Rodinia to a new and greater level!

Blakey

trevor

Post by trevor »

Super cool ! Happy to hear that it went well. Sounds like you are getting your system fine tuned

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Sweet! I'm glad it is all working well for you.

Return to “Session Report-Back”