Rodinia III - The Scourge of Larin Karr

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

mikey
Giant

Yikes

Post by mikey »

I sure do hope your group appreciates what you just did, very big, very nice, my computer needed to take a water break in the middle of the first upload, but she is doing fine now.

Nice work 8)

Mikey

Blakey
Dragon

Re: Yikes

Post by Blakey »

mikey wrote:I sure do hope your group appreciates what you just did, very big, very nice, my computer needed to take a water break in the middle of the first upload, but she is doing fine now.

Nice work 8)

Mikey
Fortunately my work have just given me a spanking new powerful laptop and are happy for me to stick personal stuff on it (within reason). So I have a new 2.33 Ghz laptop with 4GB RAM to run MapTool on. Ouch! Certainly was timed well as it arrived about a fortnight before my new campaign kicked off. :D

Blakey
The guy in the green hat.

Kepli
Giant

Post by Kepli »

Man, you are making me really jealous Blakey :shock: :evil: :wink:

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I agree with Trevor - the community really needs to download the EndhomeCity campaign file to see the MASSIVE size of it!! :shock:

Fantastic work!

I have always tried to push Maptool to see what it is capable of but you have all my work beat my friend! I am still wiping away the drool off my keyboard! :)

Excellent job! I bet it took a lot of time, huh?

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Cheers guys - thanks for the encouragement.

Lots of work still to do though - when drilled in to tactical level the city is very plain with no features to make it interesting and varied.

It didn't take as much time as you might think actually. I set up all the buildings in PSP so that they are scaled to what I consider to be the right size for a 40 px/5' scale - so I didn't have to rescale them at all just stamp them down.

Trick two is simple copy and paste. If you look carefully you'll see lots of sets of buildings which I've grabbed en masse and just copied off to other places in the city. So lots of neighbourhood blocks in different parts of the city are identical.

What would make this even quicker will be when we have stamps with built in LBL. That would be absolutely awesome and mean moving buildings and copying them and such would not need the LBL to be redrawn which would make a huge difference... :)

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Played Session Two last night. Write up and other notes can be accessed from here: http://www.rodinia.info/whatsnew.htm

MapTool worked awesomely well last night. I'm dead lucky that my machine is so powerful - I started up 4 instances of MapTool. 2 were servers and 2 were clients. That way I could have 2 maps loaded at once and instantly switch between them. So I had my massive city constantly loaded on one server and used the other server to display all the other maps I needed. So now I was able to display maps of inns and such without worrying about the time to reload the city map. Perfect.

They had their first foray into a 'dungeon' last night. A sewer complex. MapTool shone here again and being able to expose what they could see as they could see it was great.

I have discovered one bugbear (which I know will be fixed in 1.3) and that's the fog of war being black. As I've made my walls dark and floors grey (generally, different shades but that's basically the case) it is quite difficult to pick out where the walls actually are - which is necessary when the players want to known when they can see a wall and when we're simply talking about the limit of their vision.

I set up a lantern (the parties light source) as a vision on every character and gave each of the dwarves darkvision. Then when the lantern was passed around I simply enabled and disabled the lantern vision on the characters to move it from character to character. Worked a treat.

Init Tool worked well - the fights with the zombies, skeletons and ghast in the undead complex were easy to run and it coped really well with my players who always make a lot of use of Delay and Ready. No problems there at all. There is one tiny issue which I'll post about in the InitTool forum - which I'm not even sure is wrong.

The guys really like the city and all the detail although I'm thinking I'd like to flesh it out some more with troughs and bushes and stuff like that. It really would improve it. Seeing as this will be the base and adventuring location of choice for the party for the next few months I think its worth adding some more effort into the map.

We've got a big session this weekend so will post when I have more info after that. Oh, and hoping to get some photos taken of MapTool in action on our tabletop this weekend which I'll also post...

Cheers
Blakey

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Blakey wrote: That way I could have 2 maps loaded at once and instantly switch between them.
Whoah, that's quite a workaround !
Blakey wrote: I have discovered one bugbear (which I know will be fixed in 1.3) and that's the fog of war being black.
In fact it's fixed already, you can select any color, or texture
Blakey wrote:when the lantern was passed around I simply enabled and disabled the lantern vision on the characters to move it from character to character.
That sounds really cool :)

Thanks for the report back, I love to hear it !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

I hope this works but won't be able to confirm till tomorrow morning (UK time) when I'll be able to connect to these from work.

I have set up two MapTool servers, one for the Island of Manabas which is the part of Rodinia where this campaign is taking place, and one for the City of Endhome - the main city that the campaign uses. Hopefully you should be able to connect up to them at any time and have a browse - assuming my server at home stays up.

Here are the details:

Island of Manabas: RPTools.net name: "Manabas". Connect as Player. No password.
City of Endhome: RPTools.net name: "Endhome". Connect as Player. No password.

Let me know how you get on and if it works!

Cheers
Blakey

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Cool - seems to be working okay. I've had a few visitors to Manabas already. How cool is that?

Be warned - if you do log into Endhome it will take a long time to load as its huge.

Also I think I should have said, both servers are started with the 1GB memory option. Perhaps I should restart them with the default to make them more accessable?

Oh and both are started using v1.2 b32 of MapTool if that matters...

Cheers!
Blakey

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

I can't connect to my servers from work at the moment - I'm getting a connection time out message.

Could someone quickly try and connect please? Its possible my server has just crashed and I'll need to reboot when I get home.

Thanks
Blakey

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Connected just fine to manabas
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

Thanks.

I guess maybe work has some firewall issue stopping me connecting. Would that make sense?

Also, is it that I can't connect from inside my own network using the RPTools.net method as my server is on the same LAN and it can't find the IP address?

Curiously enough the consistent thing here is I'm using the same work laptop right now and also when at home to try and connect - effectively on different networks. So maybe its actually a setting on this laptop which is stopping me getting on...

I can't even ping 82.152.214.196 from here...

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

I can trace a route from here (work) almost to my home router but it fails to connect to the router:

Code: Select all

T3_crw000us{peteb}% /sbin/tracepath 82.152.214.196
 1:  crw000us.eame.vdgc.com (10.48.2.2)                     0.121ms pmtu 1500
 1:  crw01pcore.eame.vdgc.com (10.48.254.1)                 5.032ms 
 2:  10.55.8.253 (10.55.8.253)                              0.415ms 
 3:  plug-fw.eame.vdgc.com (10.55.4.253)                    0.690ms 
 4:  host-80-194-194-161.static.telewest.net (80.194.194.161)   1.200ms 
 5:  host-80-194-192-33.static.telewest.net (80.194.192.33)   1.674ms 
 6:  s02-ubr08-cr.blueyonder.co.uk (62.30.128.1)          asymm 12   2.944ms 
 7:  pc-62-30-242-45-bn.blueyonder.co.uk (62.30.242.45)   asymm 11   3.039ms 
 8:  pc-62-30-242-70-bn.blueyonder.co.uk (62.30.242.70)   asymm 11   2.656ms 
 9:  194.117.136.146 (194.117.136.146)                      2.924ms 
10:  core3.th.eclipse.net.uk (195.66.224.117)               3.314ms 
11:  81.5.191.178 (81.5.191.178)                            3.250ms 
12:  no reply
So I don't think this is to do with my laptop here - but I can't figure out why yuo can connect and I can't.

Stupid networking. :cry:

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Blakey wrote:I guess maybe work has some firewall issue stopping me connecting. Would that make sense?
I work for a defense contractor that has several nonstandard ports blocked to prevent bad things from sending out data on unaccepted ports.. or something.

I wonder if you switched the port to 80 (http) if it might work connecting from work? That is, switch the server's port and the client's port.

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

We played Sessions 3 and 4 this weekend. Write ups and updates to various pages are here: http://www.rodinia.info/whatsnew.htm

Today I created mini enounter maps for all the 'random' encounters I rolled up for the trip through the Duskmoon Hills via Fools Pass. I'm really, really pleased with them. I snagged a cliff face overlay off the DJ boards and used that liberally and its really brought a 3D feel to the maps. Seeing as they are spending the next session or two passing through this mountain pass I see them getting lots of encounters next to cliffs and the visual effect you can get is wicked.

We didn't get around to taking any snaps of our game set up this weekend but I'll make sure we pose for some on Wednesday when we meet for our next session.

Return to “Session Report-Back”