Skirmish with MT and Savage Worlds #3: Aliens !!!

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Hawke wrote:trevor: I talked about having a targeting feature a few months ago. It doesn't really become slow or frustrating until you're playing with a lot of different enemies at once. Did that come up at all during this session?
It didn't really become an issue, we just used the pointer to point at which one we were attacking.

However, token targeting is on the radar
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Just watched the video, nicely done trevor, nice to see MT in action there. One interesting note, it looks like we spent nearly 1/3 of our time going over the rules, setting up, and such. We could played much farther into the game and map if we did not do that (though, it was part of the reason for the session, showing people SW).
Anyway, looks great! I posted over on the SW forums, so we may see some of them floating around here a bit.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

snikle wrote:Anyway, looks great! I posted over on the SW forums, so we may see some of them floating around here a bit.
That will be interesting! For $10, I'm eager to check out their revised rules.

trevor

Post by trevor »

snikle wrote:One interesting note, it looks like we spent nearly 1/3 of our time going over the rules, setting up, and such.
I noticed that too, there at the end we really started moving.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

trevor wrote:
snikle wrote:One interesting note, it looks like we spent nearly 1/3 of our time going over the rules, setting up, and such.
I noticed that too, there at the end we really started moving.
I think it's easy to get a quick grasp of how the rules work, but for a quick shot mostly-combat I really think maybe writing up a one page with tips and explanations on common-actions would help in this sense. Spending a lot of time on how ranged / melee / grenade stuff works would definitely quickly dry up and any time spent would be over further stuff.

The nice thing is I think with SW it's easier to "get back into it" than it is with D&D. I find myself as a DM struggling if we haven't played in a couple of weeks when my players try to do complex things. I get the feeling SW isn't quite as bad!

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Hawke wrote:The nice thing is I think with SW it's easier to "get back into it" than it is with D&D. I find myself as a DM struggling if we haven't played in a couple of weeks when my players try to do complex things. I get the feeling SW isn't quite as bad!
We will see soon! I am headed overseas for a week for work, then a 3 week vacation, during that time I will finalizing the LV-426 adventure, polishing it up, and when I get back I plan on running it at least a couple of times for one-shot pick-up games. So it will be a good test of how easy it is to remember and slip back in. I agree though, it seems very easy, and since the rules work the same across the board for all their settings, switching setting will be easy as pie!
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Is the adventure public - i.e. could you release the campaign file as a quick adventure for people?

If so, it might be cool to put said quick-guide as one of the maps in the campaign file. Like last time, a map with the various characters and another one with maybe some quick information about gameplay functions.

It'd definitely help some people get into Savage Worlds.

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Actually I am talking with a big FG guy about doing just that, giving him all the material to build a module for FG, and I would do a campaign file for MT.
I fully plan on releasing it when it is done and after I have ran it a few times.

Heres what I want to see:
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

trevor

Post by trevor »

Recovered my developer notes from the original screen caps.

Here they are in raw form (mostly as a reminder to me until I get them into the trackers)

multiple maps views
multiple save token wipes out edits
need to make token rendering prettier
name label should be above the statsheet
Think about: @properties for players are only visible to owner, so other players can't see :( Could use token ownership of all players, but, meh, need something else
need new map notification, perhaps blinking map selection button
gridless waypoints
push the statsheet just slightly away from the token (bleeds with the name and select box)
switching maps is too slow
find a way to make /im easier (not based on names)
really, really need more obvious tool mouse pointers
need new incoming message sound
moves per turn will be useful
need /macro macro
perhaps show token name directly across from statsheet or put name on statsheet when you know it'll show up
add a "Whisper to" on the token popup menu
Mmmmm need animated tokens :)
Floating window, sub section where tokens can be, so everyone can see (for use as init, perhaps)
need die roll soundfx to differentiate from ordinary message
token layer drawables should be occluded by line of sight
token tree needs to omit tokens that are not in the current vision
token tree player list is showing all tokens
add tooltip to chat text color well
dead tokens should be rendered under all other tokens, and perhaps not be part of the token stack

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Wow, thats allot of things to work on. Tell you what, i will leave you alone for 4 weeks, and you can work on them. ;)
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

trevor

Post by trevor »

snikle wrote:Wow, thats allot of things to work on. Tell you what, i will leave you alone for 4 weeks, and you can work on them. ;)
Deal :)

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Really? Man that was freaking easy! :wink:

Packing all my alien, zombie, and supernatural movies to watch on the 16 hour flight there, should come back with tons of ideas for us to game.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

trevor

Post by trevor »

snikle wrote:Really? Man that was freaking easy! :wink:

Packing all my alien, zombie, and supernatural movies to watch on the 16 hour flight there, should come back with tons of ideas for us to game.

Zooooommmmbiiiiies !

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Great list, Trevor.

trevor wrote:switching maps is too slow
If you're going to go back into the map selection tool any time soon, I was thinking today of a feature I'd like to see: map folders.

I know in the past that you shrunk the thumbnails down so that more maps could be listed at once, but I'd like to be able to better organize the maps in the campaign. This would have the added benefit of significantly increasing the number of maps one could have available.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Full Bleed wrote: If you're going to go back into the map selection tool any time soon, I was thinking today of a feature I'd like to see: map folders.
I'd actually like to revisit the entire concept. Dorpond had an interesting idea: be able to zoom out to the actual table level, which consumes the map area with little versions of each map, then click on a new map and you zoom into it.

This way you could organize your virtual table to hold your maps in any way you want.

I don't know if this is the way to go, but stirring up some brainstorming juices. Let's come up with an entirely new way to do it that's cool, immersive, and insanely intuitive.

Return to “Session Report-Back”