Skirmish with MT and Savage Worlds #3: Aliens !!!

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

trevor wrote:I've just checked in code that does this:

- Add a "Character Sheet" drop point on the Config tab of the Token Properties Dialog
- Drag and drop any image from your filesystem onto the panel and it will become the token's (very static) "character sheet"
- Back on the map, right click->Show Character Sheet pops up a new window that stays on top of MT, but is completely independent
- Move the static charsheet around by clicking anywhere in the window and dragging (the entire window will follow the mouse
Sounds very cool!
Couple questions come to mind Trevor:
1. Are these sheets saved in the campaign file?
2. What are the image pixel size limitations of the sheet? Are there any?
3. Will this sheet be undockable, meaning that we can actually drag it outside of the Maptool window?

Just curious. Very cool!

Now, if we could save them to the .token file along with the sound files for the creature... ;)

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Keep in mind that this is very, very basic functionality (and selfishly because I wanted to have it when I play snikle's skirmish)
dorpond wrote: 1. Are these sheets saved in the campaign file?
Yes. When you drag the image into the token charsheet panel it adds the image to the campaign
dorpond wrote: 2. What are the image pixel size limitations of the sheet? Are there any?
The size of your screen. Right now it open a window that is 1:1 to the charsheet, so there isn't any resizing at present.
dorpond wrote: 3. Will this sheet be undockable, meaning that we can actually drag it outside of the Maptool window?
I decided to not put it into the docking framework, it didn't make sense to have a docked charsheet really, and it would be ugly to support more than one at a time.

So instead, it's an entirely separate window than MT. You can move it or close it depending on your interest and whim.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Very cool Trevor!

One more question came to mind:
More than one sheet supported per token? In D&D, you just cannot fit everything on one sheet. Spell sheets alone can take up a couple and several by level 20.

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote: More than one sheet supported per token? In D&D, you just cannot fit everything on one sheet.
heh, should have known :)

At this point there's just one sheet, but it would be trivial to add in more. Perhaps use the page flipping lib that someone pointed out.

trevor

Post by trevor »

trevor wrote:
dorpond wrote: More than one sheet supported per token? In D&D, you just cannot fit everything on one sheet.

At this point there's just one sheet, but it would be trivial to add in more. Perhaps use the page flipping lib that someone pointed out.
Download the dev version and take a peek, see if you can think of a way to make it easy to manage multiple pages, particularly how you swap out an image when you want to change something.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Yeah, I'll check it out sometime today. I am not on my "testing" PC at the moment.

I know this is just a small stepping stone to a much bigger and better character sheet to come but is there any way to support PDF files by chance? All my character sheets are already in PDF format. That would be sweet! No biggy if not - I suppose I could export them to JPG or something. Bonus if you could though!

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote:I suppose I could export them to JPG or something.
This is what I'd recommend. For now, MT doesn't know how to transfer anything but images. I'm not far off from making it handle any arbitrary file type, but for the immediate present, images are the way to go.

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

trevor wrote:Keep in mind that this is very, very basic functionality (and selfishly because I wanted to have it when I play snikle's skirmish)
LOL Well, the only reason I let you play is I know you will add good stuff! ;)
trevor wrote:
LOL D&D.....hehe. That's ok trevor, we will get him into a demo with Savage Worlds and it will be all over. ;)

Yeah this looks awesome trevor, plus I agree with you on the docking issues, as this will make it easy for the GM to look at a character sheet of a particular token. Now if we could just add text boxes, sliders, radio buttons, etc.... :D
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

trevor wrote: Download the dev version and take a peek, see if you can think of a way to make it easy to manage multiple pages, particularly how you swap out an image when you want to change something.
Hey, that works really cool!

Bug: Did you know that the character sheet comes up 'minimized' and needs to be stretch open to see the sheet?

Suggestions for multiple sheets:
Keep dragging the sheets into that config window. When we do, they tile in that config window. We can drag them around to change thier order.

When we actually open the character sheet, we have two arrows in the top of the window - forward and back.

That would be all we need in Rev1. This way we could forward through the sheets as needed. Or you could implement that cool page flipping like you stated earlier.

trevor

Post by trevor »

dorpond wrote: Bug: Did you know that the character sheet comes up 'minimized' and needs to be stretch open to see the sheet?
Curious, that doesn't happen for me. I have code that should resize the window when the full image is available, perhaps something is snafu'd up. I'll see what I can do.
dorpond wrote: Suggestions for multiple sheets:
Keep dragging the sheets into that config window. When we do, they tile in that config window. We can drag them around to change thier order.
Right, but that doesn't account for how to replace an image. So basically you'd need a New drop location, and be able to drop onto an existing one to replace it. I just don't like the picture that I see in my head of how that looks.

trevor

Post by trevor »

snikle wrote: the only reason I let you play is I know you will add good stuff! ;)
Ouch ! And all this time I thought it was my fantastic wit and extensive knowledge of all things rpg *cough*

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

LOL

You know I love you...no wait... you know what I mean...:?

Anyway, *cough* I tested out the character sheets briefly this morning...totally rocks, expect each colonial marine to have their own character sheet now for the skirmish (drat, more work for me!), might even add in a pretty alien sheet so I have something pretty to look at.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Return to “Session Report-Back”