LUG Star Trek

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

tdwyer11b
Cave Troll

LUG Star Trek

Post by tdwyer11b »

Played for our first time in MT tonight, I'll be getting some suggestions from my players to improve MT. In the meantime, here's a screencap:

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Looks like fun !

What did you guys think of the little token avatars in the chat ? I haven't tried to use them in actual play yet. They seem to make it more obvious who is talking, but I'm curious what you guys thought.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

What is LUG?

Are you guys doing tactical strategy stuff or are you simming?

I'm super eager to hear more!

tdwyer11b
Cave Troll

Post by tdwyer11b »

trevor wrote:Looks like fun !

What did you guys think of the little token avatars in the chat ? I haven't tried to use them in actual play yet. They seem to make it more obvious who is talking, but I'm curious what you guys thought.
Was pretty cool, one of our players had a hard time setting up the macros, but it turned out to be some confusion on his part when we were describing how to do it. Afterwards, it was pretty smooth.
Hawke wrote:What is LUG?

Are you guys doing tactical strategy stuff or are you simming?

I'm super eager to hear more!
LUG just refers to the company who held the license at the time for the RPG, like FASA, LUG (Last Unicorn Games) and Decipher, which is the current holder. It's an actual RPG, we were just in a space combat scenario. One of the characters was transporting an ambassador from the surface of the planet to the ship via shuttle, when a Romulan scout ship de-cloaked and gave chase and fired on them. Some fancy maneuvers and a crash landing in the shuttlebay got them back to the safety of the ship with only bumps and bruises.

We played this RPG quite a bit when I was in the Army (almost 10 years ago) and the character Magnus as you can see from the chat in the pic above was one of those characters from way back then played by the same guy.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Ah crazy! I used to do IRC simming a lot a very very long time ago. Totally wasn't expecting to see something similar jump up. After Enterprise, ST fandom has sort of taken a back seat to other sci fi stuff...not to mention the sci-fi market is slightly larger than it was 15 years ago. I didn't expect it to come up anytime soon.

We were discussing heavily how to do a Star Trek based turn based macro strategy game just a few weeks ago, though!

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

trevor wrote:What did you guys think of the little token avatars in the chat ? I haven't tried to use them in actual play yet. They seem to make it more obvious who is talking, but I'm curious what you guys thought.
Well, the question wasn't directed at me... and I haven't used it yet either... but I can already tell it rocks! :)

Sometimes the little things make a world of difference.

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

I have not tested them "in game", but they look real good there, cannot wait to see them in action, especially when my aliens start hissing at the players.

trevor, is there a way for the GM to set a GM token for the chat there? (sort on dialup! not testing it!)
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

snikle wrote:trevor, is there a way for the GM to set a GM token for the chat there?
Good idea.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

snikle wrote:I have not tested them "in game", but they look real good there, cannot wait to see them in action, especially when my aliens start hissing at the players.

trevor, is there a way for the GM to set a GM token for the chat there? (sort on dialup! not testing it!)
I want to put a portrait image on tokens, which could then presumably be used instead of the actual token. That would work better for top downs
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

trevor wrote:I want to put a portrait image on tokens, which could then presumably be used instead of the actual token. That would work better for top downs
I was wondering about that.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Hey tdwyer11b,

I was looking at your chat in the screenshot and noticed that Magnus typed in *nods a bit approving*. Did you know that we can emote? Just type in:

/me nods a bit approving.

Thought I would mention it. I personally need all the mentions I can get when it comes to chatting. ;)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Re: First MT game tonight (LUG Star Trek)

Post by dorpond »

tdwyer11b wrote:Played for our first time in MT tonight, I'll be getting some suggestions from my players to improve MT. In the meantime, here's a screencap:
*Still Awaiting Suggestions*
:)

tdwyer11b, you mentioned you would talk to your players and report back of improvements that could be made to MT. Anything?

Just curious is all. We like knowing what the users experience and we try to improve MT any way we can. :D

Highway Man
Kobold

Post by Highway Man »

Well it was rather fun last Friday when we played using MapTool…DM didn’t show up this week so we didn’t get to play so I’m trolling the forums of the VT systems and such we use reading over stuff.

The Macros worked out pretty well and I like the ease at which you can switch back and forth from ooc to ic. We like to joke around a lot so being able to switch back and forth quickly is a plus for us. I also macroed a lot of the rolls I’d have to make to quickly roll things out which is good too and to keep the flow of the game going.

As far as improvements I’d saying working on the dice rolling would be great. With LUG Trek you only use 6 siders and when you roll the dice you don’t want them to add up. We were doing /r 1d6+1d6+1d6 etc with the last die being the drama die which you add to your highest roll of the other dice if it is a 6 and anyway it would always add them up as if you were doing /r 4d6 and it was confusing to some of the players. Actually it could add them up if the rolling system had more options like rolling each die separate and then adding the highest roll to the last die rolled if the last die rolled is 6. I’m not sure how complicated that would be though.

Character Sheet would be great so we could access them using maptool while in game rather then having them out of game on word or printed out. Maybe have the character sheet tied in with the characters token, so you click on the token and get to the sheet as well as other ways if you don’t have a token.

We (the players) were having issues with MapTool vanishing all the time for awhile there and we couldn’t figure out why until it occurred to me that maybe one of our cleaner programs might be getting rid of it and did some tests and found the ccleaner gets rid of it unless you uncheck the Sun Java stuff being removed. Kind of duh, but we had no idea.

Oh and has far as using asterisk for like character actions…well we didn’t know about the /me nods a bit approving and I’ll try it to see how it works but I’m thinking the *nods a bit approving* might be faster after clicking the characters macro not to mention we having been using asterisks for years for online gaming.

Oh I am the player of Magnus by the way. 8)

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Welcome to the boards, Highway man!

Great suggestions. You will find many of your suggestions on our current todo list so expect a lot more to come. :D

Character Sheets are also coming in 1.3 so that should make you and your fellow gamers happy in the near future. Stay tuned!

Return to “Session Report-Back”