Decent into Dallas Station: Session 1

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Did you read my post at Battlegrounds regarding the mechanics? That is all you need to know to get it going. Once the basics are in place it should be easy to add the held/partial action stuff in there.

If you really have to have a copy, you can get Sidekick which are the "lite" version of the rules for less than $10 from the Online store I believe.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

Nys wrote:"need deck or something to handle SW initiative"

Ayup. While I'm keeping tabs on MapTool, I don't think I'm gonna try it with a group until there is a card drawing method. It doesn't really matter to me if it is part of InitTool, integrated in MapTool, or a DeckTool.. I'm just patiently waiting. :)
I'm going to try to put something into the next version of Init Tool 1.1 for SW. I have an idea of how to do the decks and I need a way to test reassigning initiative each round and SW would be good for that too.

Nys
Kobold

Post by Nys »

The Savage Worlds mantra is "Fast! Furious! Fun!" Typing in the results of the card draws doesn't match this concept. Suggesting a SW GM do that is like telling a D&D DM to manually roll initiative for everyone every round and type the results in MapTool. I hope this example helps people understand why I'm choosing to wait for deck support instead, especially since I'm not as familiar with the tool as people like snikle. Though it is great to see that is it still possible, albeit currently more work than it needs to be. :)

Kzintzi
Giant

Post by Kzintzi »

jay wrote:...a way to test reassigning initiative each round and SW would be good for that too.

ooooo, that'd make my players happy :D we reroll initiative each round. it dies slow things down a bit but we all started as 1st edition players, so we don't notice that much.. :wink:

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Nys wrote:The Savage Worlds mantra is "Fast! Furious! Fun!" Typing in the results of the card draws doesn't match this concept. Suggesting a SW GM do that is like telling a D&D DM to manually roll initiative for everyone every round and type the results in MapTool. I hope this example helps people understand why I'm choosing to wait for deck support instead, especially since I'm not as familiar with the tool as people like snikle. Though it is great to see that is it still possible, albeit currently more work than it needs to be. :)
Who said anything about having to manually type anything in? I know currently with InitTool, you can set it up so that the players can manually roll (and the DM types it in) or that IT can do all the rolling so that it is Fast, Furious and Fun! :)

I am curious Nys; what VT do you currently use and does it have a deck? I am just interested in knowing if other VT's out there do atm.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

jay wrote:
Nys wrote:"need deck or something to handle SW initiative"

Ayup. While I'm keeping tabs on MapTool, I don't think I'm gonna try it with a group until there is a card drawing method. It doesn't really matter to me if it is part of InitTool, integrated in MapTool, or a DeckTool.. I'm just patiently waiting. :)
I'm going to try to put something into the next version of Init Tool 1.1 for SW. I have an idea of how to do the decks and I need a way to test reassigning initiative each round and SW would be good for that too.
I created a quicky deck system for savage worlds. Nothing fancy, just text. The interesting thing about it is that you don't reshuffle until a Joker is hit.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Nys
Kobold

Post by Nys »

dorpond wrote:
Nys wrote:The Savage Worlds mantra is "Fast! Furious! Fun!" Typing in the results of the card draws doesn't match this concept. Suggesting a SW GM do that is like telling a D&D DM to manually roll initiative for everyone every round and type the results in MapTool. I hope this example helps people understand why I'm choosing to wait for deck support instead, especially since I'm not as familiar with the tool as people like snikle. Though it is great to see that is it still possible, albeit currently more work than it needs to be. :)
Who said anything about having to manually type anything in? I know currently with InitTool, you can set it up so that the players can manually roll (and the DM types it in) or that IT can do all the rolling so that it is Fast, Furious and Fun! :)

I am curious Nys; what VT do you currently use and does it have a deck? I am just interested in knowing if other VT's out there do atm.
I think my example didn't come across clearly. I realize MapTool automates the dice. I'm saying that manually drawing from a card deck and typing the results in (as some suggested earlier in this thread as a workaround) is just as unappealing as it would be for a DM to ignore the dice rolling feature, which, of course, would be a silly thing to do.

I don't use a VT right now, but I'm thinking about getting Fantasy Grounds II. Savage Worlds Ruleset for Fantasy Grounds II was just released at Gen Con and apparently includes an Iniative Tracker.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Nys wrote:I don't use a VT right now, but I'm thinking about getting Fantasy Grounds II. Savage Worlds Ruleset for Fantasy Grounds II was just released at Gen Con and apparently includes an Iniative Tracker.
Very interesting...
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Nys wrote: Savage Worlds Ruleset for Fantasy Grounds II was just released at Gen Con and apparently includes an Iniative Tracker.
That cannot be! We need to send the rogues in and take care of that!

Trevor! We have competition! Time to pull out the big guns! :twisted:

:)

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Jay I am curious, does IT allow a GM to hit a single button and it rolls and fills out all the initiatives slots in IT for all the players based on whatever modifiers you have plugged in?

To really make this really complete, from a SW point of view and as Nys pointed out play nice with the FFF philosophy, we need to be able to hit a button, IT plops down the cards for each player. To further complicate this, there are Edges (think Feats for you D&Ders) that allow you to draw an additional card or two, or draw another card if you draw a card with a value of less than a 5. Also, the way SW works NPCs (called Allies) is that the GM assigns these to players rather than control them, they then act on that players init card. Thus if I control my PC and 10 allies, all of them will then act on my card (this could easily be just a 'you understood' method though, no need to add all those allies into the syste...goes against FFF).

My dream for this would be the GM is able to hit a button on IT/MT and cards appear for each of the character in the tracker, the system checks for edges, and draws more cards if needed.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

snikle wrote: Jay I am curious, does IT allow a GM to hit a single button and it rolls and fills out all the initiatives slots in IT for all the players based on whatever modifiers you have plugged in?.
If you go under Tools -> Options, you have the ability to specify if the players or monsters are going to be manually filled (players roll dice around a gaming table and tell the GM) or automatically filled. My guess is that you would uncheck those boxes then to automate it.

Then I would suggest after each round you just do Control-E or Actions -> Start Encounter which will automatically roll everyones initiative.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

snikle wrote:Jay I am curious, does IT allow a GM to hit a single button and it rolls and fills out all the initiatives slots in IT for all the players based on whatever modifiers you have plugged in?
Yes, that is how IT works.
snikle wrote:To really make this really complete, from a SW point of view and as Nys pointed out play nice with the FFF philosophy, we need to be able to hit a button, IT plops down the cards for each player. To further complicate this, there are Edges (think Feats for you D&Ders) that allow you to draw an additional card or two, or draw another card if you draw a card with a value of less than a 5. Also, the way SW works NPCs (called Allies) is that the GM assigns these to players rather than control them, they then act on that players init card. Thus if I control my PC and 10 allies, all of them will then act on my card (this could easily be just a 'you understood' method though, no need to add all those allies into the syste...goes against FFF).

My dream for this would be the GM is able to hit a button on IT/MT and cards appear for each of the character in the tracker, the system checks for edges, and draws more cards if needed.
That is what I would shoot for. I don't see any problems doing that. The new scripting support in IT will let you do almost anything. And what it can't do I need to fix :)

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

any new skirmish notes?

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Hawke wrote:any new skirmish notes?
Coming :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “Session Report-Back”