Decent into Dallas Station: Session 1

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

dLANbandit wrote:Hero is the most complex implementation I have seen. But I also found it the most complete to use. Automation of Hero would actually make me want to play that system again.
Interestingly enough, OpenRPG has an automation script for Hero initiative that works decent enough. It is a bit cumbersome to use, as I've found is the case with most of ORPG, but it does keep track.

I personally have no problems with Hero's initiative system, but I've been playing it for a couple decades now and got in with the first release so had lots of time to get it so that it comes naturally to me. The only external device I use to keep track is a d12 and a 'chit'. The d12 tracks the segment and each player has a 'chit' that they keep in front of them if they still have an action.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

dorpond wrote:LOL

But I am still keen at the idea of getting together with Jay on this Snikle ...Jay is a coding machine! A bit quieter than Trevor but he is always there banging away at code all the time and is very dedicated to the initiative initiative :)
Totally! I wasn't clear I guess, I wasn't trying to supplant Jay's work, I was just trying to find an easy GUI that would be quick in-game way for showing and controlling it. I want it to work with IT, I wasn't suggesting that it replaced it. I would be more than happy to tailor my ideas to fit the way that IT works...especially if we could do it without trees! :D

Hey d if you understand IT well, what about this, I have some crazy stuff going on this week and my trip to Germany has been canceled due to it so I will be around next week, what say next week we get together over Ventrilo and you walk me through some of it, show me how it works a bit so I coudl try to make a pretty eye-candy MT way to help showcase how IT and MT could integrate.....?
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

snikle wrote: Hey d if you understand IT well, what about this, I have some crazy stuff going on this week and my trip to Germany has been canceled due to it so I will be around next week, what say next week we get together over Ventrilo and you walk me through some of it, show me how it works a bit so I coudl try to make a pretty eye-candy MT way to help showcase how IT and MT could integrate.....?
This coming weekend I am going to be out of town yet again but after that I will be free. So yeah, I guess next week will be good!

I have never hosted a Yugma session before but that should allow me to share my desktop for you to see what I am doing.

I also want to give a demo next week - a couple people have asked for one.

Perhaps if we are lucky, Jay could attend and show us both some really cool stuff! :)

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

That could work, I would be up for that, used Yugma back at iCon, and it works well. That could be a great idea!
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

I would like very much to join that demo if it will work out.

ImageImage

Nys
Kobold

Post by Nys »

"need deck or something to handle SW initiative"

Ayup. While I'm keeping tabs on MapTool, I don't think I'm gonna try it with a group until there is a card drawing method. It doesn't really matter to me if it is part of InitTool, integrated in MapTool, or a DeckTool.. I'm just patiently waiting. :)

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

No need to wait. Just do what Snikle did in our game and draw them yourself and tell the players what they got.

ImageImage

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

RPMiller wrote:I would like very much to join that demo if it will work out.
The MT demo or IT demo?

I have to be 100% up front guys, my IT experience is very limited. I use it the way it is out of box. I know how to create groups and do the ready states. Anything more than that like modifying it to specific gaming rules is way beyond me. I am more of a MT master. That is mainly because Jay made IT so darn easy for D&D players. :)

So I hope Jay could really be the one to have a demo for IT. I think we could all use help in certain IT areas.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Nys wrote:"need deck or something to handle SW initiative"

Ayup. While I'm keeping tabs on MapTool, I don't think I'm gonna try it with a group until there is a card drawing method. It doesn't really matter to me if it is part of InitTool, integrated in MapTool, or a DeckTool.. I'm just patiently waiting. :)
Like RPMiller stated, that is no reason to not use Maptool. As a GM, just tell the players who goes next - no big deal there. You are missing out by not trying/using the tools. :)

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

dorpond wrote:The MT demo or IT demo?
The IT demo. I'm still a bit iffy on how it is supposed to work and what it can do currently with MT.

ImageImage

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

RPMiller wrote:No need to wait. Just do what Snikle did in our game and draw them yourself and tell the players what they got.
It is a bit of a pain to do it as I did, but rumor has it that Trevor is working on a work around for use ntil we get IT/MT integration. Given the time, I should have the mock-up for this to him (hopefully no big discussion this time though :wink: ) and it will enable easy tracking for all of us needing an intiative tracker sort of thing.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Why not just roll [1d54] and have 53 and 54 as Jokers? Oh yeah baby!

Snikle: what sort of edges affect initiative?

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

There are edges that allow you to draw two cards, taking the highest one, and anotehr edge that allows you to redraw if you get below a 5 card...those are the only ones off the top of my head.

Dice would work, but for die hard SWers the cards are sort of nostalgic and a hard thing to loose, plus it really does work faster than dice amazingly. Plus dice would allow for duplicates, you only shuffle when you reach the end of the deck or someone draws a Joker (and yes it does matter). I actually already have a draw card macro built, but that doesnt resolve the duplicate issue.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

RPMiller wrote:If you want to make IT ready for any system out there, make it able to handle HERO System initiative. I guarantee that if it can do that, it can do any system out there. HERO has three elements to its initiative, SPD, DEX, and Phase. Interestingly enough it is actually very simple to use and lends itself very nicely to Superhero level combats where you have Flash fighting fighting against a bunch of thugs, as an example. If IT can handle the complexities of HERO it will have no problem handling any other system out there.

Just my 2 cp.
I have plans to do a complete implementation of hero, it is just difficult since I don't actually own the rules. I still need to get 1.1 much more stable and have more script exits for this to get started. But I will get to it.

jay
RPTools Team

Post by jay »

dorpond wrote:Perhaps if we are lucky, Jay could attend and show us both some really cool stuff! :)
I would love to be involved. Snickle's view is definitely a pretty way to view the initiative and it would work fine with IT's existing functionality. I'm free on Monday or Wednesday and possible Friday.

Return to “Session Report-Back”