Skip Drive - Suppression: Session 3

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

RPTroll
TheBard

Skip Drive - Suppression: Session 3

Post by RPTroll »

Another session, this time with Zombies. We're running a campaign in 2148 future Earth. There was an Apocalypse-like event fifty years ago on Earth as an Alien force destroyed all major cites and bombed the rest of civilization back to the 20th century.

Our adventure started as the team left town of Salado, Texas to rescue the Mayor's hellion daughter. They started on I-35, encountered a bandit ambush, beat the bandits, then traveled to the bandit's cave hide-out. The adventurers found found 5 dead bodies at the cave entrance all burned to death by some sort of laser weapon.

The characters fought floating aliens probes and robot. Each of the alien devices were made out of purple crystal. The charactes managed to destroy the probes and robot but not at the expense of all the allied NPCs. (Savage Worlds is tough on the non-wild card characters).

This week, they investigated the cave and freed the mayor's daughter who was frightened, hungry, thirsty and mad as hell. She didn't mind being rescued by had no intent of going back to her father. The crew tried to decide how to handle the not-rescue while exploring the remainder of the cave. They found a old metal door, circa late 20th century burned through with some sort of energy weapon. A mysterious green mist flowed out of the opening. They heard moans from inside the opening.

The soldier character spotted an old robot that had been lasered to inoperability. As they walked into the room they spotted four zombies shuffling toward them with hands extended. Having seen all the horror flicks, they did called shots to the head.

After wiping out the four zombies they were surprised to see their former companions and all the dead bodies at the cave entrance shambling toward them. Thinking the last four had been so easy they weren't that worried about the four moving toward them.

Slow but sure they killed the approaching zombies. To their surprise, others showed up having gone around another part of the cave. The pucker factor when up considerably when these new Zombies managed a slow run toward them rather than the usual shuffle.

They finally killed all the Zombies and started to search the original Zombie room. It's filled with cannisters containing the undead and four destroyed robots. Corporate markings are on the cannisters along with hazardous waste signs. Five of the containers were damaged and knocked over allowing the Zombies to escape. They apparently were damaged in a fight between the alien robot and the old Earth 'bots.

There is an opening at one end of the cave where the grounds given way. The characters could hear water running below. There are five open cannisters and four of the old Zombies. One is missing.
So endeth this session.

ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Super fun ! This is my favorite part:

"After wiping out the four zombies they were surprised to see their former companions and all the dead bodies at the cave entrance shambling toward them. "
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

All I can say is, there were a number of single word explicatives when they saw that. The really wonderful thing is that they saw it as the Zombies moved out of the FoW. It was great. I was slowly moving the Zombies up round by round. The players hadn't posted anyone behind them to keep watch.

Not that it mattered. The Zs were so freaking slow the characters could have had a nice picnic lunch befor they were in any real danger. The next session will involve hundred of newly created running Zombies. That aught to show 'em.

muhahahaha
muhahahaha
muhahahaha
<cough><cough><sputter>
ahem

I'm sure it will be fun. :-)

By the way; World War Z is a great book for anyone who likes Zombie thrillers.

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Just finished WWZ, awesome book, not given all the insight into disaster scenarios in the book, it is really interesting...even beyond the zombie eating everyone.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I thought it was a great commentary on modern global society. It nailed everyone: politicians, business men, generals, news media, and the population at large.

The book also radically changed my scenario outline. :-)

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Yeah when (if) I ever get wasteland going, I will be highly influenced by both his books.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

trevor

Post by trevor »

RPTroll wrote:The next session will involve hundred of newly created running Zombies.
Ahhh man that's gonna be awesome !

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Zombie 97 wrote:I can smell your brain

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

We continued with Zombies this week. The port issue with build 15 was an issue then everyone had to bounce back to build 14 so, in the end, we didn't get much done.

trevor

Post by trevor »

RPTroll wrote:We continued with Zombies this week. The port issue with build 15 was an issue then everyone had to bounce back to build 14 so, in the end, we didn't get much done.
Ack, that sucks :( It'll be fixed by monday night

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

No worries. When I started the campaign I told the guys I was using the developement version and there might be some bumps along the way. I explained that if you guys produce this as a labor of love the least we can do is help test it.

I tried the workaround of switching ports back to 999 to avoid the comma issue but, then realized, I needed to be root to run it as anything less than 1024. I'm a little leary of running networkable stuff as root so, In the end, I decided to go back to build 14 since some of the players still had that version.

On top of that, i worked until 3 a.m.+ last night and so wasn't at my sharpest. :-)

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

This session went much better than last. The players had to fend of Tarkellian Terror Hounds. The farm where they fought the last zombie turned out to an illegal breeding facility for the hounds. The farmer told the players to leave after they defeated the zombie. They refused, wanting to search the properties for other undead.

The farmer unleashed some of the hounds to attack the players. They eventually killed the beasts but not before the hounds wounded several players. Unfortunately, this wasn't the first time the farmer had 'fed' the beasts with snoops. A squad of soldiers had been to the farm recently and met an untimely demise. The farmer was in the middle of sinking the bodies in his lake when the original zombie arrived through an underground waterway. The chemicals that made it a zombie seeped into the farm's lake.

As the characters finished off with the hounds, eight zombies arose from the lake where the farmer had ditched the bodies.

This is where the scenario ended. We pick up again tomorrow.

We used build 15 for the game. Build 16 has some serious stamp issues so I avoided it for play. Everything worked well and, as usual, combat flew.

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Nice way to get some mileage out of those new tokens. :D
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Yes. And if Steel Rat is reading this, they were highly effective at scaring the players.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Well the characters managed to kill all the Zombies (darnit) so there won't be any mass infection.

Next, back to the tavern.

I told the players about the upcoming maptool functions and they are stoked. They can't wait for the tables and the ability to save and edit their own tokens.

FoW and visibility is the most oooed and aaaawed feature still. From the picture above, you can see I put windows and doors (removed topology) so the characters could see through the house. I should have spent some more time and actually laid the house out but didn't have the time.

The guys asked for a 'universal modifier which has been requested by others in the forum. Also requested was the popup box for macros to enter modifiers.

We had some issues when multiple people were editing macros. It seem maptool got lost and wouldn't commit any changed until players disconnected and reconnected. Permissions seemed to have similar issues in that they weren't always committed to every connection.

Also, any idea when 'observer mode' is going to be implemented?

Return to “Session Report-Back”