Gemini Ascendant First session with MT

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

RPMiller wrote:
  • Token can't be added unless a campaign is loaded.
By this do you mean that players can't preload a token prior to connecting to the server?

Otherwise I don't get what you're saying. What would you be adding a token to unless you are in a session and thus have a campaign loaded?
RPMiller wrote:Oh! And I almost forgot. I was able to successfully drag and drop a picture from FireFox into the map. I recall some others saying it didn't work, but actually it seems to be just fine.
Weird. It used to work fine for me but then the next time I tried it, it didn't work.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Good stuff, and reminders are very helpful
RPMiller wrote: [*]Can't use /tbl inside html tags and it has to be the beginning of the macro.
This one hadn't occured to me. Currently it's a command, and has to be run stand alone. In a more high level sense, I should make all macros runnable from anywhere in the line. Let me look into that one.
RPMiller wrote: [*]Way points are not setting at the token position when snap to grid is off.
I've fixed this for 1.3b17
RPMiller wrote: [*]Token doesn't jump into the grid when snap to grid is turned on and it isn't aligned properly.
Good call, I'll put in a tracker
RPMiller wrote: [*]Group chat mentioned again.
Noted :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Phergus wrote:
RPMiller wrote:
  • Token can't be added unless a campaign is loaded.
By this do you mean that players can't preload a token prior to connecting to the server?

Otherwise I don't get what you're saying. What would you be adding a token to unless you are in a session and thus have a campaign loaded?
Yes. They were trying to bring up a token to copy/paste into the campaign when they connected but couldn't. We actually found the cause. The campaign properties weren't the same.
RPMiller wrote:Oh! And I almost forgot. I was able to successfully drag and drop a picture from FireFox into the map. I recall some others saying it didn't work, but actually it seems to be just fine.
Weird. It used to work fine for me but then the next time I tried it, it didn't work.[/quote]

Yup, it worked perfectly for me and I did it to a couple different image formats even.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

trevor

Post by trevor »

RPMiller wrote: Yes. They were trying to bring up a token to copy/paste into the campaign when they connected but couldn't. We actually found the cause. The campaign properties weren't the same.
This shouldn't have prevented them from loading, just not have the properties set. What was the error/behavior you were seeing ?

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Unfortunately I can't answer that one. I came into it late and they rushed through to get things connected so I didn't get a chance to ask the important questions.

If it happens again, I'll definitely get more info. I'll also ask at our game thread and see if he remembers the details.

ImageImage

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Here is the info you asked for trevor:
No error at all.

It has got to be connected to the campaign file in some manner.

When I load the token without loading a campaign file it doesn't load properly. When I load the campaign file I had up when I saved the token it loads just fine.

The best guess after some messing around - the token only loads the saved file when it is loaded under the Campaign File it was created on.

What the program needs is a "Load Token File" option. My guess is this is because a Tokens parameters are directly connected to the Campaign Options settings and if they don't match the Token File doesn't load.

ImageImage

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

I am playing in the same game with RP. The reasons we are so interested in offline token editing are...

In the Hero system there are a lot of abilities, skills, powers, and equipment that use/require dice rolls. In our game if you macro-ize (is that a word) all of your available skills the total number of macros, per character can easily be more than 50.

In addition our group sometimes does one off games with differerent genres/characters. And we are also considering running two alternating campaigns of different genres (one our existing Space Opera game, and the second a Post-Apocalyptic game). By using the token macros for character dice rolls, instead of the macro buttons, it is very easy to change characters (as the macro buttons don't change between games).

In our campaigns it is common practice for us as players to edit/maintain our own characters/tokens and the attached macros. So it is important for me as a player to be able to modify my macros during the week, between games, when I expend my experience points, then load up my newly edited character token to the GM's campaign when I connect to the game. And with our group, and I am betting others as well, it is important to be able to change characters/games without having to retype all out macros.

With the new Token format and being able to save tokens with properties attached you have made a HUGE stride in accomplishing this. With only a few more tweaks in support of Hero Dice, the implementation of improvements in the import/export of token macros (already discussed in another thread), the eventual incorporation of IT into MT, and the creation of a Hero Designer Character to MT Token Macro Export Template (a project on our end to support the Hero Character creation software), we will have a superb online gaming utility that easily blows the competition away.

:)

trevor

Post by trevor »

So ... The first step in world domination is complete ! ..... Excellent !

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

So what are we gonna do today Brain?

:lol:

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Just finished our Thursday night game and wanted to post the bugs before I hit the sack.

We're using 1.3b17 now.

Locked up when loading a map on a Mac OS 10.4.10 Java version 1.5.0_07-164.

Ruler doesn't match the gridless movement. Gridless measurement is huge comparatively.

ImageImage

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

To add to and expound on RP's post...

1) One of our players is on a MAC using OSX and the most recent Java MAC version1.5.x... His maps locked up at 92% loaded. After the game the player went and tweaked his available memory for Java, and then the maps loaded but he still got a memory error.

2) During login, when both myself and later the GM tried to setup a server, when we clicked "test connection" it errors out and says the server is not visible from the internet, yet all of our players can connect with no problems and the server appears in the server list of MT.

3) when I loaded a token that I had manually tweaked offline... the GM suddenly could not change maps to the map I loaded the token too. The maps and tokens disappeared for him. Yet I could still see his map and my new token.

4) The token that I manually created offline did not load the image for the GM when I dropped it on the map... all he could see was a question mark in place of the token artwork. Yet I could see all of the images on my local machine.

Note the manually created token was a new image with the macros copied from another older token, by unzipping the file and copy/pasting the macro section of XML, then rezipping and renaming back to rptok file extension.

trevor

Post by trevor »

pmbruner wrote: 1) One of our players is on a MAC using OSX and the most recent Java MAC version1.5.x... His maps locked up at 92% loaded. After the game the player went and tweaked his available memory for Java, and then the maps loaded but he still got a memory error.
Seems definitely memory related. Is he using webstart, or downloading it ?

Try increasing memory to 512m and see if it still happens
pmbruner wrote: 2) During login, when both myself and later the GM tried to setup a server, when we clicked "test connection" it errors out and says the server is not visible from the internet, yet all of our players can connect with no problems and the server appears in the server list of MT.
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=2824
pmbruner wrote: 3) when I loaded a token that I had manually tweaked offline... the GM suddenly could not change maps to the map I loaded the token too. The maps and tokens disappeared for him. Yet I could still see his map and my new token.
Freaky, I'll investigate
pmbruner wrote: 4) The token that I manually created offline did not load the image for the GM when I dropped it on the map... all he could see was a question mark in place of the token artwork.
Freaky, I'll investigate

Thanks for the report !

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Thanks for adding more pmbruner!

I thought about the grid/measure issue and I think I realized what we were seeing. When Snap to Grid is off the distance it is giving is the actual pixel resolution. At least that is what I think it was. It appeared that MT wasn't calculating the distance for the units per cell, but instead was doing it for the actual resolution the map was set to. I recall from Snikle's game we would get decimal distances like 5.3 when we moved. This time we were getting whole numbers.

ImageImage

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

trevor wrote:
pmbruner wrote: 3) when I loaded a token that I had manually tweaked offline... the GM suddenly could not change maps to the map I loaded the token too. The maps and tokens disappeared for him. Yet I could still see his map and my new token.
Freaky, I'll investigate
pmbruner wrote: 4) The token that I manually created offline did not load the image for the GM when I dropped it on the map... all he could see was a question mark in place of the token artwork.
Freaky, I'll investigate

Thanks for the report !
Let me know if you want me to send you the token in question...

trevor

Post by trevor »

I need to put a switch into the calc code to change when the token is non snap to grid

Return to “Session Report-Back”