Hawke's Dark Sun Campaign

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Hawke's Dark Sun Campaign

Post by Hawke »

Full map

I've always wanted to do a Dark Sun campaign after reading some of the original campaign material years ago. This year I decided to jump in. I recreated the map with some changes - adding two cities and doing the geography a little different (the maps from the original and revised settings are a bit different).

The campaign began with Maleek a half giant Gladiator, Ulnan Al-Hattin a half-elf Druid w/ camel Aziz, and Xandu Fireclaw a Pterran psion.

They saved their benefactor in a dark ally in the city of Balic while there for a gladiator tournament. The benefactor then sponsored their entry into a special tournament and hired them to take a crystal stone that allowed crops to grow at record speeds from Balic to Odjit. Along the way they ran into giants, and other bad guys as Odjit received the new stone. Odjit, a small city that is the only free city in the region after a slave revolt killing the evil king Akenaten Nakeb. The party spent time in Balic with the city's leader and ran several quests making the city stronger and better defendable.

Their benefactor had them run several missions trying to thwart the bad guy, the Prince of Scars, including breaking into the city of Gulg and kidnapping a powerful psionic young boy who "would be used by the Oba (queen of Gulg) for evil purposes), uncovering dark artifacts from an evil Defiler (wizard who scorches the earth to do magic). The party, now joined by Cariad an half elf Air Cleric, started a war between Gulg and Nibenay and mounted an unconventional attack on the nearby city Nahtahn with a small group.

Then the kicker... while in Nahtahn they discover the entire time the benefactor is Akenaten Nakeb and that the Prince of Scars is the good guy. Whoops! They weren't happy but were blown away as they realized how everything they did was right in line with making Odjit several times stronger and the free labor trying to build a vision was much more effective labor than slaves. The city of Odjit was retaken by a small army and some dark magic using the crops from the stone as the source of power. The city of Odjit is now powerful and threatens the entire region with Nahtahn weakened and Nibenay and Gulg in shambles in the middle of a major war.

As they decide what to do next - and it's looking like trying to mediate or stop the war between Gulg and Nibenay will be their first task - I'll go ahead and post in this thread, complete with screen shots.

Here's an example of a Defiler in action in the forest of Gulg as they attempted to escape:

(My avatar is the Akenaten Nakeb's portrait)

jespley
Cave Troll

Post by jespley »

Cool. Those screenshots look amazing. My maps are crude affairs, reminiscent of hand drawn battlemaps usually. :)
Jared

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Most of the maps I've used have been Vry's. Once his new gallery is up and functioning I'll point you to the once I've used. I'm using some traditional city stuff for Tyr (where they go next). I'm going to do a much modified outcome as seen in the Freedom adventure (also The Verdant Passage novel). Their short term goal is to either help or hinder a slave revolt in Tyr while their allies try to shore things up elsewhere.

Emryys
Dragon

Post by Emryys »

Diggin' the OS overland map! :)
Game On!

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Full version

This week we began in a temple run secretly by the Veiled Alliance. The group met and decided their next course of action with the NPCs. The map is one done by Vry (it also has a destroyed version...oops was that a spoiler?) and the bottom character tokens were custom ones done by Devin from FUM (well well well worth it). Nezoje Vel, another NPC is from Dracorat's gallery here. After deciding to send the NPCs to the city of Gulg to try and stop a war, the characters decided to head out to Tyr to figure out who might win the slave revolt.

For those of you familiar with Dark Sun I'm pulling partially from the Freedom adventure released. There's a lot of people about to try and revolt in Tyr, killing or exiling the Dragon King Kalak. The players are going to head out there and try to figure out which one to throw their lot in with and hopefully use the new regime to benefit their war against Akenaten Nakeb. I also gave them the option of siding with Kalak to put down the revolt - something tells me they wont take such a not-do-gooder option. Guess they aren't into means justifying the ends...

Full version

Map using Huerca's huts from dundjinni's forums, Devin's camp token set. They set out to tyr and met a camp with one of the major players in the possible revolt, Hamash a merchant (Dracorat render) hoping to use a change of regime in Tyr to set himself up as the controller of trade in the city. In addition, they ran into Orman of the Waste, another possible player who cryptically left just as they were ambushed:

full version

by some mauraders from Prince Thk'kren, a Thri-Kreen nomad raider who they found after the encounter may also have a hand in things in Tyr, hoping to move perhaps from a nomadic wanna-be to a true king.

Overall, it went really well. Not a whole lot on the MapTool new features craziness side. We used b14 hoping to move to the xml version maybe next week if the stability looks a little bit better. The team is eager for the token saving. I sort of blew it in a few major ways - I gave them way too much information about what was going on in Tyr. It's not a big deal to me, but they felt like they were having a hard time understanding. I'm currently working on a wiki page to try and help them understand the complex political situation. Next week I'm going to make it a little more directed and keep the cast of characters much smaller until they get comfortable and can spread out. Oh well, you learn as a DM all the time - hopefully I can do a good job applying what I've found.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Dark Sun

Post by jfrazierjr »

nice maps. I have always loved the Dark Sun world. Really wish it had not gone under, at least as far as the books side go. I never got to play or DM the world, so the books at least gave me an outlet for my DS fix....
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Love those screenies !

Sounds like you had a good time.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Re: Dark Sun

Post by Hawke »

jfrazierjr wrote:nice maps. I have always loved the Dark Sun world. Really wish it had not gone under, at least as far as the books side go. I never got to play or DM the world, so the books at least gave me an outlet for my DS fix....
If you're interested in running a 3E campaign go to http://www.athas.org/ they have a revised rulebook and even a "Terrors of Athas" which is the Athasian Monster Manual revised for 3.5... It makes things a lot easier.

I definitely modify a bunch of stuff... so I'm sure the hard core will be disappointed with my lack of canon-love. How are the novels?

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: Dark Sun

Post by jfrazierjr »

Hawke wrote:If you're interested in running a 3E campaign go to http://www.athas.org/ they have a revised rulebook and even a "Terrors of Athas" which is the Athasian Monster Manual revised for 3.5... It makes things a lot easier.

I definitely modify a bunch of stuff... so I'm sure the hard core will be disappointed with my lack of canon-love. How are the novels?
Yea, I checked it out a few months ago. I ended up pulling down my books from the attic and reading everything egain, inlcuding some of the source stuff. Unfortunatly, I don't have the time to DM and barely have time to play (once a month is the most our group can get together and sometimes we have a month off...) Eventually, I will at least read the short stories submitted to athas.org.

While I love standard fantasy worlds (I have DMed in 4-5 FR campaigns and been a player in 7-10 various worlds), there is just something really cool about the DarkSun world. For that matter, the thelevitator's gaming style (http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=2156 would fit perfectly in Dark Sun with his use of DMGenie and the higher level of focus on figther feats. I can just imagine the effect a gladitor with all of the cool fighter feats could do in DS! Likewise, the lower overal magic level of the world would also seem to be a perfect fit. [/url]
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

wrathchild
Dragon

Post by wrathchild »

Yes, it's nice to see someone having fun with the Athas. I'm with frazier on this, never got to use it, but have close to all the stuff. I'd of course do it as a GURPS conversion, but that's _my_ insanity ;)

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Did you make the hex map yourself? It looks great.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

RPTroll wrote:Did you make the hex map yourself? It looks great.
The overland map was done by this program called Wilderness Mapper - a super super simple and featureless map making program. It's been around for ages so while it doesn't have a bunch of features, it was basically the only thing of it's kind when I needed it originally years ago.

At this point it'd be much easier to make the same map in MapTool - at the time we weren't using any sort of computer-aides. I'll probably do that at some point - remake it with MapTool. Eventually I think it's going to be useful when planning some macro game events.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Does maptool have the ability to fill indvitual hexes with textures or colors? You can do it with squares, of course, but I can't inuit out how to do it with hexes.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

RPTroll wrote:Does maptool have the ability to fill indvitual hexes with textures or colors? You can do it with squares, of course, but I can't inuit out how to do it with hexes.
Oh yeah, that reminds me of a long standing feature request that I keep neglecting: painting by cell.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Hawke, you may want to go here and scroll down to the 7th post:

http://forum.cartographersguild.com/sho ... php?t=1126

And check out what we did with your map. :wink:

I'm wondering if something like this would give us a pseudo 3d capability inside MT.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Return to “Session Report-Back”