Gemini Ascendant Games

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

pmbruner
Dragon

Gemini Ascendant Games

Post by pmbruner »

The other thread has a notation of first time game attached, so I thought I would start a more generic thread...

Tonights game mostly consisted of a battle that was run via chat and dice rolls. The GM had a busy hectic week and did not prepare a map to play on. That said...

We had no problems with any of our connections. And the repaired Hero dice parser works really great. It would be extremely useful if we could call a table from within a token macro constructed like this...

Laser Rifle: Hits DCV [11+7-3d6], Damage [12d6h] Stun [12d6b] Body, Hit location /tbl HitLoc

In the macro script above everything else works except the table call. For the time being I have created a Hit Location macro button for my character and call only the first two part of the macro then IF I score a hit click on the Hit location macro button.

All in all... so far B18 is working great.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Excellent ! Glad it worked out well
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

pmbruner
Dragon

Another GA group game: Post Apocalptic Hero

Post by pmbruner »

We had our normal weekly session on Thursday. We are still using 1.3b18 for our game as it seems fairly stable. But we did have one issue, though I am not sure if it was user error or an actual bug.

I was in the process of copy/pasting player tokens onto a secondary map (doing them one at a time until RPMiller told me how to do a group copy/paste). The map had FOW applied with a small section revealed (thats where I was pasting the tokens). After pasting the tokens I started to reveal another section of the map and suddenly all my players screens wnet completely black they could not see any revealed areas or their tokens. After trying several things like forcing views I was forced to completely remove FOW to make anything visible to the players.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hmm, that's very peculiar. On an aside, when things like that happen, do a File-Save Campaign As ... and save it somewhere, then email it to me for analysis.

Not sure what caused it, if it happens again, see if removing then readding it changes anything. You might also check that your player tokens are designated "PC"

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

trevor wrote:Hmm, that's very peculiar. On an aside, when things like that happen, do a File-Save Campaign As ... and save it somewhere, then email it to me for analysis.

Not sure what caused it, if it happens again, see if removing then readding it changes anything. You might also check that your player tokens are designated "PC"
I sure will. I have the saved campaign file I can send you, but it reflects changes since that occured so I am not sure if it will help, if you still want me to send it I will.

When you say removing and readding, do you mean the players tokens or the FOW. Also just fyi, the players tokens are all designated as PC, I did double check that.

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

We resumed our SF campaign this week using 1.3b18 and only had one issue. We had 2 of our players that could not load one of the maps. The load stalled out at 83%. We figured it was a RAM/Memory issue with their machines.

However one question did come up. When a player or GM loads from the Website autostart function, what RAM setting does it use?

I have downloaded and installed from the ZIP so I have the option to use the 1GB startup, but the 2 players and the GM were suprised when I asked them which startup script they used...

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Webstart uses 256MB IIRC. You could have easily created maps that exceeded their client allocation.

SirGunther
Cave Troll

Post by SirGunther »

Phergus wrote:Webstart uses 256MB IIRC. You could have easily created maps that exceeded their client allocation.
At what size do maps start exceeding the allocation at the 256MB default? I've had the same problem, with maps stalling, and I'm using maps that are less than 6 MB for the whole campaign file.

One thing I found that worked, was switching to another map and forcing the players to that map, and then switching back to the one that stalled and forcing the players back. That got the map to load.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

While campaign size is an unreliable predictor for memory footprint, a 6MB campaign file is very unlikely to have something big enough to be an issue.

In your case it is more likely that old networking bug that has been around for ever. For some people, on some connections, map loading just stalls sometime. I believe that Trevor plans to put a whole new networking layer under MT for v2.0.

If this happens to you a lot you might try taking advantage of remote repositories to make the transfers to your players smoother.

SirGunther
Cave Troll

Post by SirGunther »

Phergus wrote: If this happens to you a lot you might try taking advantage of remote repositories to make the transfers to your players smoother.

Actually, I've just moved to that for this next session, so we'll see how it goes.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Phergus wrote:
In your case it is more likely that old networking bug that has been around for ever. For some people, on some connections, map loading just stalls sometime. I believe that Trevor plans to put a whole new networking layer under MT for v2.0.
I put in a window to show the download status of the images. You should check it and see if the image had finished downloading. If it's stuck in the middle then it's a networking issue, if it got to the end then it's likely it broke trying to actually load the image into memory.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Forgot all about that window. Don't recall the last time I saw a stalled map load.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Phergus wrote:Don't recall the last time I saw a stalled map load.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

/em Hears an echo and turns around looking for the source...

pmbruner
Dragon

Post by pmbruner »

OK we had our first game using 1.3b20..

1) the GM had some initial frustration as he discovered, luckily a few hours before game time, that our 1.3b18 campaign file was not compatible and so he had to basically rebuild the campaign from scratch.

2) During the game I was given ownership of an NPC token so I could help the GM run the npc. I had to add a macro to the token. After I added the Macro the token size changed, of it's own accord to "native size" which was huge. I then had to re-open the token and reset it's size. While this is pretty minor, the other players all started asking why I kept changing the tokens size ( I had several Macros to add and it repeated this behaviour each time ). Once I got done mucking with the macros everything went smoothly the rest of the night.

Return to “Session Report-Back”