Khallel's First Session, Aliens

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

khallel
Cave Troll

Khallel's First Session, Aliens

Post by khallel »

Today was a first for many things. My first time using MapTools, I jumped right in as the GM, it was the first time for all 5 players as well. We had several stumbling blocks, but I'll focus on the possitive for now. My first time with the gallery and attaching links from there.

My first real map, a little large for a first try, the "playable area" is about 900x700 squares. Campaign file is 24mb.

http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/kh ... 0.gif.html

The first fight scene...
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/kh ... 9.gif.html
... and later, same fight.
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/kh ... 5.gif.html

Everyone had a blast and we're going to finish next weekend.
Last edited by khallel on Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Sweet, what version are you using?

Looks like Savage Worlds - have you seen snikle's alien game?

Where'd ya get the maps?

I notice you didn't use the Fog of War - was that intentional?

khallel
Cave Troll

Post by khallel »

I was using 1.3.18 for the cone vision. It was Savage Worlds, I recently discovered it, while using a different "pay VTT", and I love it. I've only seen posts of Snikle's game, that was my inspiration. I did most of the details myself, stats and what not, based mostly off the core SW rules.

As for the maps, I made the buildings in CC3 using textures mostly off Dunjinni forum, along with the objects, marines, etc. Except for the alien token, I ripped it out of a java game based on the old Aliens boardgame, I didn't care for the DJ ones.

However, the way I did the buildings was my biggest problem. I cut them up and reused them, to reduce the amount of memory used. The hallways were all 5 squares long and I just stamped em a long to whatever length I needed. BUT... if the FOW hadn't been revealed in the upper left corner of the stamp that section wasn't visibile, even if they were standing right on it. Which is why I just started clearing sections that they couldn't even see yet. That's why it looks like the FOW wasn't on.

I'm sure there's a better solution to what I was trying to accomplish, but that's what this session was about, figuring it out and we had fun in the process :)

khallel
Cave Troll

Post by khallel »

Just noticed there was a bad word in the 3rd shot. Cleaned it up and reloaded it. In his defense though... he had just taken some friendly flamer fire and an acid splash ;)

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

I'd be cussing, too. :lol:

Glad you guys enjoyed it. What were the issues you had?
I cast firecube! ~4E

khallel
Cave Troll

Post by khallel »

The main issue I had was my building sections not showing up unless the upper left corner was exposed to FOW. I just had to expose areas manually to make sure that corner was exposed.

Another issue was port forwarding. I know how to set that up, it looked like it was setup right, MapTools said I could be seen, yet the player I was testing my connection with could not connect, neither could I if I loaded a second MT. This is like 15 mins before start time, and I was like, how do you say, freaked out. Finally I had one of the other players try and it worked. Turned out my first player couldn't connect through the internet because he was on my LAN, he connected through the LAN and everything worked great.

The only real other thing was not having an initiative tracker or control over turns. I know those are on the Wall of Features and they certainly weren't show stoppers as I've known my players for years and they were very patient and helpful.

Return to “Session Report-Back”