Shadowrun Anyone?

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

emirikol
Dragon

Shadowrun Anyone?

Post by emirikol »

Anyone running Shadowrun care to comment on how it's going with Maptools?

jh
Yes, I'm a chiropractor. Gamer fitness at Hafner Chiropractic in Lakewood, CO: http://www.HafnerChiropractic.com

Cweord
Great Wyrm

Post by Cweord »

Dice roller is the only problem I really have atm.
Cweord

This message has been spell checked by Freudcheck - any mistakes are purley a figment of your imagination.
-------
My Tokens Directory
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/Cw ... er_Tokens/

Dayhawk
Kobold

Post by Dayhawk »

My groups set up was all 7 of us at a table with 6 laptops.

We used the map but rolled dice as per normal.

Next session I plan on using some macros.

nolgroth
Dragon

Re: Shadowrun Anyone?

Post by nolgroth »

Hope a little thread necromancy is ok.

While I am not presently playing "Shadowrun" I am using the Shadowrun 3rd Edition rules to run a game for a couple of my long-time friends. I can tell you now that MapTools is the best of the best in online role-playing. Currently using 1.3b56.

I have build most of the macros myself. Sadly, I haven't mastered a whole lot of the nuances of macro coding yet, but I do have a functional campaign file set up that is only getting better with each passing session. We have run two sessions so far and it has turned out to be pretty fantastic.

The Bad
Hate to start with the Bad, but better to end on a good note dontcha think? :)

[*]There is a lot of information to keep track of between the way tokens behave and the campaign properties. This level of complexity has its upsides, but I thought my macro code was broken when I forgot to keep track of something.

[*]There are some "features" with the initiative panel I don't like. I would rather it make me explicitly impersonate the selected token before dropping it into the chat window. Ruined a surprise this evening because of that. I would also like to have more interactive wizards to design initiative systems.

The Other
[*]This one is partly my fault. The scale was all wrong, so Light Sources and Vision were a tad off.

[*]Not really a MapTool bad, and even not really that bad, but the Macro reference wiki could stand to use a few more step by step examples to illustrate how to do things. For instance, can you nest If() statements. For a non-programmer who has no inherited knowledge of coding practice and syntax (like me) explaining step by step how to do a few things would be nice.

The Good
[*]The Fog of War and Vision Blocking Layers are a real treat. If you haven't taken the time to figure these out, you are doing yourself and your players a disservice. Added a whole new dimension to this session that the last one lacked.

[*]Even though I haven't become skilled enough for truly versatile macro coding, even the simple ones I do have streamlined the whole process for me a great deal.

[*]Being able to call token properties to use in macros was awesome. For that matter, the whole token management system is so darn cool it is almost like combining the best of role-playing with the convenience of a turn-based video game.

All in all, I want to stress just how much of a positive experience this is. Almost everything in the Bad and Other category can be fixed by establishing procedure. And where that doesn't work, learning and expanding my knowledge base will.

Thanks to the MapTool dev team for such a great tool (toy) to play with.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Thanks for the report back, sounds like you've got a great handle on things.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

nolgroth
Dragon

Post by nolgroth »

Yeah. It has been a good run so far. In fact, most of the "work" is done and it is mostly going to be tweaking now (change the input () function so that all skills only have a single input window, tweaking the macros to set and get wound level penalties, that sort of thing). Gives me a chance to work on the adventures and settings a little more. :)

Thanks again for all the hard work.

Return to “Session Report-Back”