Wrathgon's darkness falls

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

wrathgon
Dragon

Wrathgon's darkness falls

Post by wrathgon »

Well my Sunday game went not too badly other then the fact 1/2 the players didnt show, luckly still have 4 so went on with the game

the start....

The cleric of mystra runs headlong through the wintery darkness his pursuers hot in his tail. By the mystra’s hand why has this quest gone so wrong he thinks… The visions have led me to this small island off the coast of Sembia to find a weapon to be used against the coming darkness but there was nothing in the dreams that had goblins hunting him down. He hears the waves of the shore and his heart sinks, no where left to run. He breaks out of the brush and spies a ring of stones that he must have missed on landing. He makes for them, the only cover he can see. His trackers are a few mins behind and he stops and catches his breath, the stones are warm to the touch, despite the cold. He pray to his god asking her for a sign to get him out of this, or some heroes to help in this quest of his. He feels a blast of heat and when he opens this eyes where there was only snow, many forms lay and start to stir, he looks up and guess its close to midnight.

“My friends wake up please, am sorry for this but my god has sent you to aid me, there is a group of goblins a few mins away that I need your help with, please ready yourself for battle I will explain everything after…”

The party
At first, it feels as if you must be dreaming. The sense of dislocation, the giddiness, the feeling of flying rapidly through space, all add to the unreality. Where are you? What were you doing a moment ago? These thoughts arise in your mind, as if you were half-awake, on the borderlands of consciousness. Perhaps you have been knocked senseless, or poisoned with some hallucinogenic drug. One thing is certain; you are in a strange place and you do not remember how you came here.
What you can see before you is as clouded and vague as the contents of your mind. There seems to be nothing but mist, swirling in eddies around you, with a suggestion of huge shapes briefly glimpsed through it. The mist is cold on your face and with a start you realise that this is no dream. You are here, physically here in your body, fully dressed and carrying your equipment. There is wet grass beneath your feet. You feel no pain, so it stands to reason that you were not knocked out and dragged here. How, then, did you come to be here?

Alone in the mist, you wonder why you do not feel more afraid. There is a presence here, something old and comforting, like a childhood memory.
The mist begins to clear. In darkness, you see the huge forms that you glimpsed before. They are megaliths – standing stones that tower over you, they glow blue with a magical light. They are set into the form of a circle. This place is achingly familiar to you, yet you have never been here before.
Through the thinning mists, you see that you are not alone. There are others here, and by the look of them, they are as surprised to find themselves here as you are.

The party readies themselves as 5 dark skinned goblins burst out of the trees and rush toward them.

The Human female fighter meets those head on slicing one in half with her greatsword, the Dwarf ranger use his axe to cleave another one in half, while the newly arrived 2nd cleric of mystra stays near the wounded older cleric. The elf draws and fires his arrow threw another of one of the beast. The fighter is slashed badly and the young cleric rushes to heal his wounds, the fighter returns the blow killing it. As the final blow is stuck a screams comes from behind as the party watches the cleric who summoned them falls forward with a barbed spear though his back, the party rushes to his aid but it is too late, his life blood spills out turning the snow red. He pulls the dwarf close and with dying breath says “find the sword, it is needed, the darkness will come, all will fall....."

After removing the spear and searching the cleric for some sort of ID they find a locked booked and a deed to a boat, the goblin bodies seem to have disappeared.

They notice smoke from the north indicating a town so they move that way.

Getting to the town in middle of night they quickly check in with guards and head to the inn. There are a few drunken townsfolk still here and after buying them a round of drinks they loosen up and tell the party a few things that are happening in town, the big news is 2 kids are missing and they think they went up to the mine. “The mine is haunted with the dead miner’s souls from the floods, you see the mine floods when he rains and many died one day when the rains came on strong and they could not get out” say the drunken townsmen.

They get a good night sleep and find out each others name the next morning. Verik the young cleric of Mystra, Durin the hardly dwarven ranger, Laerith the elven ranger, and Ahranaii the female human fighter. They visit the local cleric of the village and he tells them of the undead hoards in the mine, he also tells them the spear they carry is unholy and must be destroyed. Durin does not see the problem with using it against evil, but by doing so alienates both the town’s cleric and the party one. They decide to go look for the missing children in the mines, maybe they town will give them a reward….

They hike up to the mine and enter into the mine following the tracks. They come upon a sleeping hobgoblin and slaughter it without a thought! The find a working mine cart and hear more hobgoblins down the tunnel. They move down and see the tracks go into the room there seems to be a group of them. Durin and Verik climbed into the cart and get the rest of party to push them down towards the waiting hobgoblins! As the enter the room going over 60 miles an hour they swing on both sides but do not connect with targets, they jump on top of one off to the side as 2 are run over by the steel cart. The poor hobgoblin is crushed by the weight of both dwarf and man, but they seem to roll and be fine, though lying prone on the ground with the dead hobgoblin below them. The rest of the party charges in and Larin looses an arrow killing one more. 4 down in the 1st round, but they then look around and notice that there are still 7 left, 2 to one odds.
2 hobgoblins move in to deal with the prone PCs when the rest move round to battle the fighter with the great sword. The dwarf takes 2 serious hits that would kill most but from his prone position hacks the legs off the offending hobgoblin, then rolls to the side to hack through the 2nd hobgoblin still prone! He tried to roll again but the so many bodies around him he slips on the gore and misses with his axe as well.

The cleric has been trying to hit something but just can’t connect and the fighter has taken 2 down herself but with dozens of cuts is bleeding out. The cleric looks around at the hobgoblins and sees fear in their eyes, but not from them it’s a supernatural fear and decides to play on it with 3 of them left.
“If you don’t flee now Mystra will force us to bring your lives to an end!” Though he was targeting only one of them, all three heard this, it was too much for them and two tried to flee. The party hack them down as they tired to leave, leaving one left, that Laerith put an arrow through.

We ended there our first game, where they all advanced to 2nd level. They decided to go back to town and rest and level up(as in my game they need to rest 24 hours to level). They was many ways to deal with these hobgoblins, I didn’t see them killing all of them, but as you can see with some surprise and crazy stunts they took out 11 CR 1s without losing anyone, I was impressed for sure.
Maptools:
Well a few times we had problems loaded up the 2nd map mines, and I was still learning about hiding maps. Again when I when to import my prop no files were listed ANYWHERE on my system, I ended up just cutting and pasting instead of importing. I have stolen some OpenRPG players so all of the players were new to maptools. They didn’t seem to take long to get the hang of macros and dice rolling so all was good. Vent worked like a treat no problems there; we had some banter going on on voice and in chat, funny comments OOC. The group likes to joke round a bit but everyone was getting involved so it was good. I think they all had a good time and the more we play the smoother I will get Dming and they will get using maptools.

PS how do I post screen shots in my posts?
Last edited by wrathgon on Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Re: Wrathgon's darkness falls

Post by trevor »

Fun read :)
wrathgon wrote: PS how do I post screen shots in my posts?
You can upload them to the gallery ( http://gallery.rptools.net ) and then post the link here
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

wrathgon
Dragon

Post by wrathgon »

do i need to make another account? my user on here is not working

trevor

Post by trevor »

wrathgon wrote:do i need to make another account? my user on here is not working
Hmmm, I think it's the same user, I'll poke MrIce (our resident gallery maintainer) to take a look

wrathgon
Dragon

Post by wrathgon »

ok for sure i am putting in user and pass so either i got to create another account or something is wrong can i email u the photo trever and u can post them?

trevor

Post by trevor »

wrathgon wrote:ok for sure i am putting in user and pass so either i got to create another account or something is wrong can i email u the photo trever and u can post them?
weird about the account. You can email me the pics and I can post them

Mr.Ice
RPTools Team

Post by Mr.Ice »

wrathgon wrote:ok for sure i am putting in user and pass so either i got to create another account or something is wrong can i email u the photo trever and u can post them?
I just got trevor's email, looking into this now.

Mr.Ice
RPTools Team

Post by Mr.Ice »

Well, it looks broken enough that I couldn't fix it in the 30 minutes or so when I looked at it. I'll work on it some more or update both codebases and get them working again. I can just set it up manually, PM me and I'll get that going for you.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Here's the image:

(Click for full size)

wrathgon
Dragon

Post by wrathgon »

this is the session event from weekday group(know as the caster group with 6 casters and 1 fighter) will post shots when get account working.

http://pillboxgames.com/forums/viewtopi ... =113&t=407

wrathgon
Dragon

Post by wrathgon »

Hey all sorry i have not had time to post about games on here, running two games and playing in two plus RL leaves little time for me to post on so many boards, but heres an update on our use of maptools

we moved to b30 this week and so far their were not problems, works like a charm i notice that the transfer window nevers seem to show any transfering for me, not sure if it working, but other than that the vison seems to work great and other than a few times ppl having to shut down maptools to load up maps there were no problems.

wrathgon
Dragon

Post by wrathgon »

Weekday group

After the party hears about he Noble's missing family and realizing they need to regerister with the government here they take up this quest to find the missing boy. With their cold outfits to help against the cold they make their way west towards Eveningstar in the north of the country. They follow the road, which is still cover in snow and just before the Bridge over the vast river goblins attack, Blaine tells everyone to get down as bolts fly through the air. Blaine changes one of the little buggers that dont even come up to his waist and cuts one in half, then using the momenton cuts the other goblin beside him as well. The party takes a few hits but nothing serious. As they search the bodies 2 more spring out of the forest and stab Blaine and another party member with a mightly blow. These two are take out with no mery by the party and after searching the bodies they reach the river and cross it.

[img]http://gallery.rptools.net/d/19811-2/goblin+attack.jpg[/img] As they get cost to the city, and after 2 nights in the cold weather they come across another creature, who tries to charge them to use road. A mightly Ogre stands taller than even Blaine demands some coins to pass. The party thinks about this and decides to hire him as a guide to get them to the city faster, and they think, rightly so, that anything else on the road wont want to mess with an Orge and a group of armed men and so the party reaches Eveningstar without any more problem.

The walled city where the armies were house before they attacked Arabel you can tell it has been upgraded because of this. A town this small does not normally have such high stone walls and towers but they stand open and the guards dont seem give the party a 2nd look.

After meeting with the mayor of the city and getting some info on where to go next to look for missing people the party enters an empty Tavern. The Barkeep jumps up surprised to see customers he offers food and mead to the party who sit at one of the many empty tables. After a few mins after their mead comes rats fall from the ceiling into the mugs and plates of food. The party horrified at this gets up to leave but the barkeep pleads with them to stay and help him get rid of the rate for good. After killing and burning the nest in the basement the aprty decides to camp out in the common room to see if anything stange happens. In middle of night the party surprise 2 dark clothes guys. After trying to knock them out, they took them out and it seems theit last act was to break posion pills to kill themselves.

Tech report

I was playing from work and remoted to my PC at home so had some problems as i could not restart server but other than a few maps not loading all the way everything was good

i cant seem to get the shoot to show up here but shows up in pillbox site

http://pillboxgames.com/forums/viewtopi ... 1812#p1812

wrathgon
Dragon

Post by wrathgon »

will only post weekend group from now on as they are more active and one of the writes up sessions for me :)

weekend group

After the party deciding not to leave this town to the axe of the armies they find and push their way into the mayor's office. He is a fat balding human that is kept under the thumb of the local merchant lords with drink and hookers. They party explain about the army and he gets all scared, tells party to come back later and will gather the mechant lords for them to tell as well. The next go see the captain of the guard, who used to be a street fighter and is known to be one sick badass. A warmage approaches the party and offers to join them in their quest, asking not to be paid but just for the share in any loot. A mage is welcome in the party for sure but is watches closely at 1st.

After getting into the guardhouse and past a very rude officier they tell him about the army, which he does not believe is true and thinks they got other reasons and not enough proof to bother him. The party leaves and almost decides to give up on this town full of scum. In the end they stay and meet with the lords, who again grill them about the proof. They stick to their guns and finnally the lords believe them. They also find out the mayor didnt tell the lord but was trying to sneak off without tell anyone about the army and it was the captain that got the lord involved, maybe he was not so bad after all....

With a reward of 1000 gp for their troubles they part was off to the next town to warn them. On the way they meet up with a talking Worg who battle it out with a wolf as the party(full of rangers) watch the death dance of them, the worg wins and goes off into the forest leaving the body of the dead wolf to rot. They get into Churney on the green, a town where all the houses are build from trees and the local elven druid rules. The wolf that was killed was her wolf and she got very upset when told the party just stood by and watched it died. After she had time to cool down she thank them for their news and began to prepare for war. The party stayed in town for 2 days training and learning new feats from the many rangers and nature based towns folk, they were all at peace and the female fighter decided to stay to help defend the town. After their rest they were off again to the town of Hockton Burrow, a town of archers built on a hill surrounded by thron bushes.

They got into town just as the quarterly games were being held and thr party had to wait to speak to the elders about the war until after so they tired their look at some of the games. Feats of strengths, wrestling, and drinking the party tired but not one could win against these locals that do this every few months. The hightlight of the day was the shooting contest which everyone could join. Durin and Laerith enter, though laerith was still not feeling 100% from the poison and his hands where still stiff. After a few rounds the Laerith made it to finals while the dwarf didnt even get past 1st round. A hooded man shoots last after Laerith misses the target with all three shoots. The hooded man shoots perfert 3 times and is crown the winner. As he comes up to claim the magical bow for his prize the warmage, Asron, calls him a cheat. After trying to expain that he used magic, the elders ask for proof, which he could not give, and Durin joined the call for a reshoot. The hooded man hands over the necklace that Asron says is his foucs for his spell and shoots again a bull's eye shoot at 200 feet. He still wont give it up and starts to cast a spell, the hooded man tackles him to ground and guards take him up on charges of causing a scene, bind his hands and mouth and take him to lock up. The party had left him to his fate it seems as they where no where to be seen. The hooded man claims his prize, a beautiful comp longbow that is magical, turns to the smiling and cheering crowd and breaks it over his knee, saying one word before walking out of town "Trash".

He then walks out of town, while Durin tries to follow him without being noticed and failed horribley Kith who is invisble from the warmage casting it just before he started the whole mess, follows both with easy.

WIth one fluid motion the stranger has his bow and arrow ready to fire at Durin.
"Go away little man before you become my next target."
"Why you be doing that with the bow?"
"I was expecting a masterful crafted bow, not some human attemp at a craft they no nothing about" he says and coming from a human it is a strange comment. "what would u do if you won a contest of strengh and was given a woodcutters ax for you prize?"
"I would laugh!" Durin replies.
"I dont laugh so i broke their prize now i leave no away i am bored talking to you."
"Well i still want to talk to you." Durin even from 90 feet away can see he is alot to lose the arrow and charges him, Kith has moved in and stabs him in the side hitting his vital area and becoming visible. The strange spits out a curse you dont understand and releases the arrow into Durin. Normally that would allow Kith an attack but he seem to be able to shoot without opening himself and some invisble force and his fine bow does not allow Kith an opening for an attack.

Over the next few rounds the strange casts a spell and daggers shoot from him every round and he fires his bow point blank at durin and Kith. He takes some heavy hits from Durin and then in a puff of blue smoke disappears.

The rest of the party has been trying to get the warmage out of jail and after a few mins he is asked to pay a 50 gp fine and is released. The race off toward the battle, which they heard about from the guards on the thorn wall.

[img]http://gallery.rptools.net/d/20613-2/drow+attack.jpg [/img]
Meanwhile the strange has not teleported like they thought but moved away invisible, he targets Kith and brings him down with a arrow but reappears about 90 feet away Durin charges and the rest of the party just arrives. Larith goes to stop Kith from bleeding to death and the warmage shoots off a hail of stones onto the stranger, killing him as the stones burn his evil black skin. As they get close and watch Durin uncover him his human features are no where to be seen but the dark skin, white hair and red dead eyes staring out confirm him to be a drow.

i still cant this to work anyone help please? how can link pics in my gallery

tech: we had to some problems with people not be able to load maps and getting stuck at x%, in both groups and now one of my maps gets stuck on 78% even when not hosting i can load all other maps fine and it did work fine for a while but now i can seem to open it.

wrathgon
Dragon

Post by wrathgon »

After dragging the body of the drow scout to town the locals are a little more understanding of our unruly behaviour. The officials of Hockton Barrow listened to our plight and sent messengers to the small villages around, they also send reinforcements north to help defend the townsfolk moving south and help those who planned to remain and fight.

That evening Durin spied something near the town wall and goes to check it out. Ogres were cutting through the south end of town! After the initial taunting, Durin found that they were carving an entrance for the army to have access to the south of town. Javelins then sailed through the 30ft hedge wall at the giants getting lost in the tangle. Asron and Laerith soon joined in and with greater success, Asron pummelled the brutes with falling stones while Laerith and Durin shot arrows through the hedge. The greatbow and heavy stones of the ogres seriously injured several of the group but fell none but Durin can dangerously close and was warned that it may be best to heal up before entering combat.

After some healing and recuperation the shared with the town council the dire news, the danger was closer than anticipated. We were then introduced us to Fingonniel Uthaeless, or Fin for short, an elven wizard who had been tracking our progress and made way to the capital. While on the road to the capital Fin managed to translate the note we found on the drow, identifying him as a scout for the oncoming army he is also working on identifying the magic ring found on the dark elf. We were soon interrupted by the sounds of battles ahead.

A caravan was under attack, ogres and large grayish orcs were fighting merchant guards in the road. The party reigned in their horse with difficulty as they were untrained for combat, Fin couldn`t get a hold of his and had to tumble off. Durin never being one to shy from combat charged in and tried a daring maneuver jumping off the horse to tumble into combat. Fortunately dwarves bounce because he fell flat on his donkey taking damage before limping over and taking out his frustration on the ogre in front of him. With help from Fin and Laerith that ogre fell in seconds, but the guards were dropping like flies, bam bam, two of them fell in the first six seconds. Asron did his trademark hail of stones on the raiders taking out two of them and with a little work the party finished off the remainder. After the battle Kith tried to sneak some of the loot into his pockets unnoticed, but the sharp eyed dwarf counted very loudly every coin he tried to pocket.

While the one remaining guard started bandaging his companions the group was approached by a merchant who requested an escort to Hockton Barrow. This was a dilemma since that was they were traveling from not to that place. The merchant was carrying metals for their armaments and offered to pay the group well. Fin`s raven was offered to send a message to the capital informing them of our to be late arrival and we were on our way escorting the merchant back north.

...stay tuned for the next installment, "A Knight`s Welcome" -or- "The Sleepy Warmage"

While escorting the merchant north we noticed the word had been spreading, the roads were particularly busy with people traveling south with everything they could carry. Carriages, backpacks, mules, some even looked to’ve taken their whole house; it was a forced resettlement of fear and despair. After arriving at Hockton Barrow, we took a letter of credit for 700gp offered by the merchant rather than waiting for hours for him to get the funds through trade and were on our way. The letter was sealed with the town’s merchant seal and we were told that we could use it or cash it at Saragost`s primary armoury.

The return trip was uneventful, thankfully the roads were not full of predators at night, or if they were they bothered us not. We arrived outside of town well past midnight and into the dark hours of the morning, but were never-the-less welcomed by the Captain of the Guard. We assumed he got our message, he led us towards then around to a south entrance of town. Around the main gates was what appeared to be a second city, refugees by the hundreds, perhaps thousands, were not being allowed into the city for fear they would deplete the resources should siege occur.

The captain explained that they were indeed refugees from the north come here by our word and city resources could not support this many. As we walked he beckoned the warmage to his side to discuss strategy, tactics and training for the oncoming war. He talked to Asron to the exclusion of all others, of which Durin was not impressed. Apparently, Durin thought, the captain must be upset that he has to deal with the peasants and doesn’t like being told how to do his job by a dwarf.

The Captain led us around the south side of town and through some ally ways, talking the whole way, mentioning that they’ve been expecting this war for hundreds of years, but not to have to deal with this many civilians. We are expected to meet with the city council; they are waiting for us…

Crossbow bolts rain down on us hitting vital organs, Asron seems specifically targeted and takes several of them. Why did we think the council would be waiting for us at this hour? Arrogance? Perhaps… the captain turned and cleaved Asron with his bastard sword knocking him unconscious and off his horse. Durin, enraged, jumped off his horse lunging at the knight, he brought up solid on the captains armour and was now sharing the captain’s steed. More bolts flew, and both Kith and Laerith returned fire, Fin quickly cast sleep on the bulk of the ambushers putting half of our enemies to sleep.

The captain attacked Durin, who tumbled off the horse for cover as the captain fumbled his sword and then galloped away. The party quickly dispatched another of the crossbowmen as Durin`s short legs propelled him after a fleeing horse. The Captain noticed his pursuer, and spoke while rearing back his horse and drawing his lance:
“I’ll run you through little man.” Durin was hit hard almost spinning him around. Unfortunately the horse was too quick for a counter attack from the dwarf but he did take a volley of arrows as he passed the alley in which the rest of the party stood in wait. During this brief time they had dispatched the remaining threatening foes and Kith had stabilized the very near dead Asron.

Kith, rushing, took several attempts to get his grappling hook secure and climb up to dispatch the sleeping rogues. Durin scrambled up after him, he remembered what could happen when Kith was unwatched near potential loot. While Kith slit one man’s throat, Durin tied up another for later questioning. The party gathered the bodies and searched them while waiting for their capture to awake…

Tech: well everything went fine in game, i was happy that everyone could load up my 40meg map of the city, but something happen after game and now i lost it, tervor is working hard to help me get it back it took me a week to do so i am hoping i wont have to remake it, trevor thinks its stored in assets but i still can view it when i change file name.

Return to “Session Report-Back”