Himmelhand's Call of Duty-like

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

Himmelhand
Kobold

Himmelhand's Call of Duty-like

Post by Himmelhand »

Me and some buddies started a campaign using the Silhouette Core system to imitate modern combat to the tune of Call of Duty 4.

The party consisted of an elite sniper toting around a Barrett .50 Cal beast of a gun and busting out more initiative than most people on rolling a 1, a guy inspired highly by the demoman of Team Fortress 2, throwing grenades and dynamite willy-nilly, a fairly average soldier other than high marksmanship with an M16. Another addition was a late comer, who took the role of a machine gunner.

The party was part of a couple squads moving along a road in Bradleys (The setting was essentially the world as it is today except in name and geography) in a hilly region. The forces as a whole were part of an offensive sent to stop another country from invading a smaller region.

The patrol stopped when engine noises were heard up ahead. Below, the troops dismount and form a plan.

It was decided that a 4-man team (the players, what do you know?) would scout over the intervening hill to assess any threat.

Upon reaching the top of the ridge, they discovered a force roughly equal to their own platoon deployed in an ambush position at a bend in the road. They quickly decide to run, but draw the attention of three of the enemy soldiers, who give chase over the ridge. The fighting, which quickly leads to the death of the three hostiles, draws the attention of another group of ambushers, set up behind another ridge, who begin to open fire on the party.

The party retreats to the rest of their troops, but decide to destroy the enemy nest before it could send any anti-tank fire toward their vehicles. Between an incredible sniper shot that overkilled their machine gunner almost 10 times over, a well-placed grenade from the demoman, and additional support from other troops, the nest was quickly dispatched.

Deciding that it was too risky to engage the enemy APCs with their own, the part brought a soldier with an anti-tank missile to the ridge with them.

The sniper climbed up in a nearby tree with line of sight over the ridge and took out a machine gunner before the party launched its attack. The party achieved surprise, leaving them a full turn to wreak havoc, but it seemed to go badly when a botched attack roll with the rocket launcher fails to even touch the enemy.

On the next turn, the party decides to run, now that they had the attention of people with 30mm cannons. However, the sniper decides that he'll fire at one of the enemy vehicles, figuring his massive weapon can punch a hole in the armor. In one shot, he hits the magazine of the vehicle and blows it to pieces.

This attack buys the time the rest of the party needs to escape, and they pull back to the column before the second tank can cause any damage.

At this point, they decide that there is a great enough advantage that their forces won't be at too great a risk of taking casualties, and wave in the Bradleys to mop up the enemy infantry and the remaining BMP. The first Bradley rounds the bend in the road and fires a missile, destroying the enemy tank utterly, and rakes fire across a treeline where the enemy infantry had set up.

At this point it appears to be a cakewalk, but when the second Bradley crests over the hill, a surviving enemy with an anti-tank launcher takes aim, destroying the weapons on the vehicle. However, the party's sniper quickly retaliates, smearing the formerly lucky soldier across a good distance.

After that, the enemy had no anti-tank capacity, and the few remaining soldiers were swept up before they had a chance to escape.

The aftermath:

Notable quotes:
"Just you wait until there's a tank in a tree sniping at YOU, and then we'll see how you feel."

Notes:

No technical difficulties encountered, we're lazy/wimpy and still use version 1.2. The only feature we would like that we don't have now is opposable vision. Maybe the ability to bind keys also, some of my players were triggering hotkeys while they were trying to talk on Ventrilo.

Steel Rat, your vehicle renders are awesome. Thank you for making them.

mrobviousjosh
Dragon

Post by mrobviousjosh »

Sounds cool. I'm surprised no one wanted to play a field medic or anything. Maybe I'm just weird though and choose characters like that, lol.

Himmelhand
Kobold

Post by Himmelhand »

We tried a medic in an earlier game testing out the system, but people generally die on the first hit. It's very lethal.

mrobviousjosh
Dragon

Post by mrobviousjosh »

Himmelhand wrote:We tried a medic in an earlier game testing out the system, but people generally die on the first hit. It's very lethal.
Lol, that explains it. In that case, while the demo guy was cool I think I would have made him a bit more of an engineer. Like I said, I like those characters that are a bit more than just dynamite throwers (though they're definitely fun to play) :P.

Return to “Session Report-Back”