4E preview: Raiders of Oakhurst

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

Hawke
Great Wyrm

4E preview: Raiders of Oakhurst

Post by Hawke »

After a several week hiatus, my Dark Sun small group decided to start getting back into the swing of thing. I've been mainly playing Star Wars Saga Edition face-to-face (aided by maptool & a TV - thanks to those that helped) and felt we should get back into the gaming mood with a one-shot D&D 4th edition. I selected Raiders of Oakhurst to do the trick and setup the game using b30. It's only a single map and the players selected two characters (Fighter Kathra Ironforge and Cleric Erais the Sunlord) so I had to scale it down a bit for them to get through. (spoilers if you plan on playing Raiders of Oakhurst):

Overall it went very well and we were excited. My inclusion of power cards & the full stats & macros for their characters gave them clear choices each round and they didn't have to worry about the mechanics of the numbers. They just moused over their character and saw the relevant stats - I had HP, AC, Reflex, Fortitude, and Willpower as the visible conditions. We used the label feature to keep track of damage done to enemies, special effects of powers (+2 to AC) and the marking ability of the Fighter (M:K for Marked:Kathra appended in the label) and the bloodied condition. Overall the label feature made it really easy to pay attention to any sort of oddities and was much easier than 3.5 in our opinion.

The initial kobolds went down alright, but I was initially worried that I was running it with two characters. Poor rolls on the players part and good rolls on mine soon found the PCs mobbed surrounded by 6 kobold minions and a kobold skirmisher with no damage to any of them and the PCs getting bled out. Timid to use action points or encounter powers, they finally started making headway with clever placement of the dwarf's push ability (sending a kobold into the fire) and luck of the cleave power to thin out the minion ranks while the Cleric finished off the skirmisher. Overall they went through it with no encounter powers.

Some more skirmishes went through and they finally started to stretch their legs - I think realizing that they weren't playing with straight Vancian spell casting and didn't have to hold onto that one good spell forever like they did with other 1st level characters. Erais the Cleric was knocked unconsicous and almost died, but luckily the fighter finished off the enemies and was able to pull her friend back from near death. A quick rest and some surges later they were off to fight the dragon.

It became clear very quickly that my tweaks with the dragon weren't enough so I dropped the tail slap (immediate reaction tail attack to any hit attack on the dragon) and dropped the hitpoints a bit more to 100. In the end a good combination of daily powers, action points, and combat advantage made them squeak by with one hit attack away from each of their deaths. Very close to TPK but I did fudge the dragon in their favor.

Our only real 4E downside was "shooting in the dark" about some numbers and how they'd work... we're hoping some of the questions about pushing character into walls, certain powers against objects, etc. might work. Of course I DM ruled anything and we moved on quickly... but will be interesting to see it fleshed out.

MapTool performance
Did great - I used the square VBL tool instead of the polyline and the new vision & light worked great. We even got a LITTLE test of the low-light vision of the dwarf, but in such cramped quarters it wasn't a full on test. Ran very quickly and manual fog remove made it not obvious that I was cheating with the VBL.

I love the new minisheet at the lower left. I didn't at first, but the fact I can have a lot more info and it doesn't get in the way is great. As I mentioned here, label visible on the mouseover minisheet would be nice to keep track of effects w/o needing to have token names visible. The label feature has turned up to be more useful and versatile than I ever expected it to be!

When I first edited the 4E campaign properties as a new set of properties, I didn't actually update it before I hit okay so they were lost. That was frustrating... but it's also very very easy to edit so it didn't last long at all before I just redid it.

The need for 1-1-1 movement was pretty apparent to my players - I had already got used to manually counting after playing Star Wars with my other group so frequently.

Inputting a lot of data into the campaign file - especially macros - really made me yearn for a textbox macro input. I just loved how easy it was to edit the campaign properties and would love to be able to quickly do the same for macros.

Thanks so much for your hard work, Trevor, and to Devin for great kobolds. Thanks to Xorn for the background map and Olgar Shiverstone for the module.

Full Image

Feel free to ask questions here about MapTool, the playtest, or 4E play issues.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Super awesome !

I love that you are finding the label useful, and that the mini sheet is growing on you. I'm a little unclear what you mean by showing labels and not names though.

Love the screenie !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Sorry about being unclear... I mean the label displayed in the minisheet... in the above image in the lower left hand corner it just says "Kathra Ironforge" when it would be more consistent to show "Kathra Ironforge" and "18b" underneath it. Does that make sense?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I am so super excited to hear that Vision and Lighting worked well for you. Any suggestions with that portion by chance? you are probably the first one I know that has actually gamed with B30 so far :)

Hey, I wouldn't mind throwing a 4e module with my friends. Where would I go to get up to date with all of the rules and such, and get the materials you used? Is there a on stop shop with everything I need? Thanks in advance - I have been out of touch since the birth of my daughter.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Naryt
Dragon

Post by Naryt »

dorpond wrote:you are probably the first one I know that has actually gamed with B30 so far :)
Just an FYI, my cohorts and I have been running a couple of GURPS campaigns using OpenRPG since 2005. Tonight we're giving MapTool a spin using b30.
A wandering lost soul

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Naryt wrote:
dorpond wrote:you are probably the first one I know that has actually gamed with B30 so far :)
Just an FYI, my cohorts and I have been running a couple of GURPS campaigns using OpenRPG since 2005. Tonight we're giving MapTool a spin using b30.
Cool! Keep us posted with a session report! :)
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

dorpond wrote:Hey, I wouldn't mind throwing a 4e module with my friends. Where would I go to get up to date with all of the rules and such, and get the materials you used? Is there a on stop shop with everything I need? Thanks in advance - I have been out of touch since the birth of my daughter.
Sure!

There's a PHB lite available here that has a lot of rules and whatnot.

Instead of trying to create your own characters from the incomplete rules, you can find WoTC's official pregen character sheets.

We ran Raiders of Oakhurst which is pretty good in a one shot adventure if you're intersted in a basically entirely combat/tactical situation. The same author created Raiders of Oakhurst - Reloaded which adds a whole town, some opportunities for non-combat roleplaying, and several more encounters. If you're interested in playing either a day long session or more than one session this would be a better bet. There's links to more adventures in the first link I provided.

They all have links to maps that work great in MapTool.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Naryt wrote:
Super awesome, be sure to post back how it goes !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Hey Hawke,
Those cards that are in your screenie; where do I get those - I think those will help the players a lot.

Thanks!

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

dorpond wrote:Hey Hawke,
Those cards that are in your screenie; where do I get those - I think those will help the players a lot.

Thanks!
Those are found in the following thread with the specific post for the whole set (on the second page of that thread) available here. I'd check the thread though, there's many different formats available and a lot of good stuff. We found them really, really useful.

Let me know when you use them if you think of any clever ways of implementing those power-like abilities hooked to tokens in MapTool. I'm sure we could come up with some awesome and throw more money at the Wall of Features as a result :twisted:

zgrose
Cave Troll

Post by zgrose »

You have the cards as .... tokens? Didn't think of that. You could have the spell effect as a macro right on the token.

(edit)
Can you set a token so that it is only visible to a player? I can imagine it would get a little crowded if everyone could see everyone else's cards all the time.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

zgrose wrote:You have the cards as .... tokens? Didn't think of that. You could have the spell effect as a macro right on the token.
I had both the cards and macros for the individual powers attached to the token. That way they could use the cards to figure out which power to use, then use the macro to actually use the power.

Can you set a token so that it is only visible to a player? I can imagine it would get a little crowded if everyone could see everyone else's cards all the time.
I had individual views turned on and topology drawn so that the cards were grouped into individual regions. I gave ownership to the player that needed it and gave the card/token vision so they could see their area.

At some point people got comfortable with their own powers and were curious about others and I gave ownership of the cards to everyone.

Return to “Session Report-Back”