Burning famhouses! Last nights game with b31

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

torstan
Great Wyrm

Burning famhouses! Last nights game with b31

Post by torstan »

Yes, whenever my players meet (that's any players - note this is a different group...) they set fire to things. it all started out well with a foray towards the farmhouses from the NW. They saw two winter wolves and understood they were feasting on some unfortunate soul:

They send out the illusion of a small girl to distract the wolves and then attack when the wolves start to circle. The druid drops out of hawk form into bear and tears at one. The drow tears into another, killing it with one charge.

They find a couple of bodies and discover that one of the farmers was driven mad and hanged himself, after drawing the symbol of Tharizdun on the wall of his bedroom in charcoal and blood. They get weirded out and torch the place (okay, so not so unreasonable I must admit):

I really should have drawn proper roofs for the buildings, but ran out of time and used maptool drawing tools instead. All worked well using b31.
Last edited by torstan on Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

The one thing that jarred in this was the light/darkvision/lowlight stuff. This really needs two things for it to work well:

1. User defined vision radii
2. Global light settings

I tried to run an encounter with the following players:
1. drow with 120' darkvision
2. human with 60' darkvision and lowlight vision
3. human with normal vision that gives off light like a torch (yes, I know - sigh)
4. Druid in owl form.

The encounter took place at night on a starlit plain. I can't get even close to this at the moment. I eventually had to give everyone their own light source with the correct radius and switch all their vision to normal (apart from the drow that had to get lowlight vision for there to be any light source that stretched 120'). Then they could see all the other's areas and the drow could see twice as far in other people's light as he should have been able to. Not ideal.

I know these features are not in place yet, but I'd just like to give them a gentle bump. The vision and light system is the best selling point for maptool. Currently it doesn't work for non-standard vision or places with global illumination. As soon as it does, myself and my players will be even happier than we already are.

Keep up the good work and thanks for facilitating yet another great evenings play.

Oh, one other thing. When people were downloading maps, sometimes the screen would say that things were being transferred, the red light would say they were being transferred and the internet connection would be going nuts, but the transfer window would say nothing. Bit strange.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Fantastic :) I love the screenies, I particularly like the way you were handling the vbl and elevation.

The configurable light distances and sight types are currently in progress.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Ryss
Dragon

Post by Ryss »

I'm so in love with your maps.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Your maps are win.

Return to “Session Report-Back”