Heathen

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

ryvencedrylle
Cave Troll

Heathen

Post by ryvencedrylle »

Heathen (4E D&D) Session I - A Timely Rescue

Players:
Aria Silverhands as Herself (Eladrin Ranger)
Kthnxbai as Shardon (Halfling Rogue)
Optimus_Prime 21 as Sludge (Bugbear Ranger)
Winter Wolfe Arcane as Thakkis Steelboot (Dwarf Cleric)
Gren Drake as Kriv (Dragonborn Paladin)

GM:
Ryven Cedrylle

Summary:
Sludge has been staying in the refugee town of Grove's Pass for several days, warning of the impending attack by a sect of Bane's cult, known as the Hand of Naraash. No one believes him - rumors about him instead spread, bringing Thakkis and Kriv from neighboring villages to determine whether he is friend or foe. Heated words are exchanged; the issue is never entirely decided as a misunderstanding of code words begins the Hand attack on the town too early and with too few reinforcements. The guards who have threatened to jail Sludge turn out to be agents of the Hand and battle is joined.

The Hand mage opens up by arcing lightning between the holymen, doing little more than distracting them. Aria follows up with a powerful round, nearly running the mage through with her fey lightning spears; instead, she fries a nearby Hand bandit before he can so much as burp. The mage follows up with a thunderclap that dazes Aria for several rounds, essentially putting her out for the rest of the fight. Meanwhile, Sludge unleashes two-fisted fury on one of the guards, followed up by Thakkis' radiant assault. Kriv trades marks with the second guard. In the next round, the bloodied guard attempts to kneecap Sludge, who interrupts his attack with a vicious backhand slash, ending the guard's career prematurely. He then moves into position to flank the second guard with Kriv. Aided by Thakkis, Kriv downs the second guard. The mage harasses Kriv and Thakkis with Magic Missiles and deflects a breath weapon and radiant attack before succumbing to Kriv's smite. Despite Sludge's constant rain of arrows, a second bandit escapes.

After the attack, the group is approached by a cleric of Pelor's Light of the Sun order to help them locate a lost paladin by the name of Jaryn who journeyed into the Hand's stronghold to put an end to them. He has been missing for many months - other rescue attempts have failed. The group accepts the mission, despite the apparent lack of reward or bounty.

High Points:
*Sludge dodges three halberds and finishes his foe off with an interrupt.
*Aria moves about 14 squares in one round and darn near wipes out two foes without using a daily.

Low Points:
*Aria fails three saves against being dazed, spends most of the fight hiding.
*The Hand mage fails to take damage from two radiant attacks and a dragon's breath within the course of only two rounds.
*A Hand bandit escapes to fight another day.

Combat XP: 725/5 = 125XP each
RPing XP: 25 each
Total: 150 XP each

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Sounds fun, but a couple of questions.

How did sludge finish his foe with an interrupt? Opportunity Attack?

How did Aria move 14 then attack two foes? Only thing I can think of for moving that far is... well, nothing really.

ryvencedrylle
Cave Troll

Post by ryvencedrylle »

1) Disruptive Strike - Immediate Interrupt Encounter Power

2) Burned an action point, used Powers that let her attack while moving (like the old Ride-By Attack) and shift after attacking.

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

UntoldGlory wrote:Sounds fun, but a couple of questions.

How did sludge finish his foe with an interrupt? Opportunity Attack?

How did Aria move 14 then attack two foes? Only thing I can think of for moving that far is... well, nothing really.
1 - Move action, 6 squares.
2 - Standard action, Two-Wolf Pounce.
2a - Shift 2, make two attacks
2b - Shift 2, make secondary attack.
3 - Minor action, designate target of Hunter's Quarry.
4 - Action Point - Cut & Run
4a - Make two attacks.
4b - Shift 3
5 - End turn.

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

YIKES! :shock: I better start studying like crazy for our 4E play test next week! That looks a lot more complicated than I imagined it was going to play from what I've read so far.

I'm thinking I better take a simpler class. I was going to play a Warlock, but after reading some actual play posts, I think I'll go with a fighter so that I can get a better handle on all of the different aspects of 4E combat.

I don't think I'll be trying anything too fancy for our first attempt! :wink:

The description of the session was great!
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Well, it sounds like they're not level 1 either. My level 1 encounters I've run so far are significantly simpler sounding. That's why I wanted clarifications, so I can be ready for what player's might pull out of their tushies.

Luckily for me, the player most likely to pull some "stretch the boundaries to what is only just barely possible" is me, and I'm DMing. (Just cause my Last character was a Multiclass Psion/Wizard with the Cerebromancer prestige class and middle aged for the extra int bonus... oh, and a circlet of intellect bought with my "above level 1" starting money. ph3r me.)

thelevitator
Dragon

Post by thelevitator »

Double King has us starting at 3rd, so I suspect that we'll have a few special abilities. It sounds like it plays easier than it sounds, so I'm not too worried. :wink:
"Neither hexes nor squares can confine me!"

James Anthony
"It's all in your head....."
http://www.spelz.net

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

That's very true, as long as the DM has a good handle on the rules, just do whatever the heck you want. Just don't forget to use those encounter and daily abilities. And if it's your turn, use a power, never a "basic attack".

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Heathen is a 5th level adventure... so these guys had more to do than your average guy.

I think the powers make it straightforward... the only thing I'd suggest you make sure you really understand is marking/cursing. Not bad once you get it, but it's something new and 3.5 players should take extra time to learn it as it is different...

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Of course, if you've played WoW it's very familiar. :roll:

We've been asking for a rework on states to help with keeping track of marking and cursing, but it's in question.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

UntoldGlory wrote:Of course, if you've played WoW it's very familiar. :roll:
Oh, so I just click on this box that has the mark thing with the enemy selected and a giant arrow appears above them? ;)

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Heh, not till we upgrade to java 6!

I was speaking of course of the game mechanic...

O_Prime21
Kobold

Post by O_Prime21 »

I play Sludge in the Heathen campaign, and I must say, it is boatloads of fun playing 4th edition. The learning curve is a slight bit steeper when you start higher level, but it isn't too bad. Plus, you only have to really keep track of what you can do, so it's not that bad at all.

I will also say that even though we have Rangers in the group, it feels like we are different, which is very cool. (Whereas two 5th level Rangers in 3.5 felt very much the same.)

Vanuslux
Kobold

Post by Vanuslux »

I just registered so I figure I'll mention that I'm Thakkis Steelboot's player.

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Vanuslux wrote:I just registered so I figure I'll mention that I'm Thakkis Steelboot's player.

Welcome!

"I'm not Thakkis Steelboot, but I play one in DnD."

Return to “Session Report-Back”