The Plane of Elemental Mind

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

Mathemagician
Dragon

The Plane of Elemental Mind

Post by Mathemagician »

Hi Everyone -

This thread will detail the ongoings of a new campaign. The campaign is using the 4e core rules, but not the published adventures. The players are some old college buddies of mine, and we've all at this point gone down our separate paths, two to different grad schools, a third to grad school then an out of state job, and two others to jobs....so there is no way we could hope to play D&D...unless we had some way of playing online....wahey! Maptool, to the rescue!

So that will be the first major credit to the RPTools team: Without your hard work, we would not be playing today.

The second major credit, is the speed at which I can create maps of a large scale is really impressive. Once I learned the tools (thanks Brad!), and learned about not using ginormous images (thanks community!), putting together a decent looking forest-leading-to-a-cave and inside-the-cave was hardly any effort. I say decent looking compared to the battle-maps I used to draw by hand back in college, they look like garbage compared to the work I've seen on these boards, but then again, my players don't need much :lol:

One thing I am especially excited about is the use of fog-of-war and vision. Previously I used to draw out the battlemats on 8x11 pieces of paper, which would then get put together using hinges made of tape, so I could flip out the appropriate pieces as the players discovered them. Not a perfect solution by any means, so I'm obviously looking forward to using some technology there! Also we've never really used vision rules, because it takes too much time to do all the measurements properly, so we're super excited to use that. Well, _I'm_ super excited...we'll see how they feel about being attacked from the darkness :lol:

I'll post the maps and results after this first adventure is run, but I wanted to establish the thread while it's on my mind. Thanks everyone, for allowing me this opportunity to play D&D :D

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Look forward to seeing how it goes!

Mathemagician
Dragon

Post by Mathemagician »

Well, I decided before we actually started the campaign, to do just a one-encounter-combat, to make sure everyone was up to speed with the 4e rules.

The good news, Maptool worked without a hitch!!

The bad news, it ended in a TPK...tee hee...

The further good news, we are now very intimate with the death-and-dying rules section :)

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Doesn't take much does it?

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Mathemagician wrote: The bad news, it ended in a TPK...tee hee...
heh, awesome !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Mathemagician
Dragon

Post by Mathemagician »

So we played the first stretch of the first adventure last night. Rolling monster attack rolls in front of the players lead to some brutality, included is a particularly tense moment when two creatures critically hit on the paladin Oros, one for 19, another for 9 (the guard drake below him is covered by his name), one after another before anyone else could act. But them's the breaks!
Needless to say, they were immediately inspired to use their daily abilities and action points 8)

We noticed some wonkiness with the one-one-one movement system, which has already been mentioned elsewhere on the boards.

The only other major glitch we had was a visibility issue. And at first I had this great little description of the bug, and then I decided to go back and try to reproduce it a few times before I got too excited. I kinda forgot to set one of the PC tokens to actually be a PC...no wonder he couldn't reveal fog of war and see things. Oops!

Now, for praises about MapTool. It handled all of the scenarios so far so, very, very well. I believe it is something that most people in this community are already used to, but this tool is just so good at its job. Thanks to all your hard work!

Perhaps the best praise I can give, is about how MT really simplifies the math in tactical situations. We have a friend that really enjoys the roleplaying part of D&D, but doesn't like tactical combat too much. Traditionally, he shied away from it in 3/3.5, by being a cleric, so that he could be useful by dispensing heals, but didn't have to worry too much about placing the fireball just right, or counting tiles properly to see if he'll be in movement range next turn, or if he'll get attacked by moving here, or there...it's just not his style. This time around, we convinced him to spice it up, play a Warlock, because the conjecture was that MT would simplify the counting for him. He really enjoyed it! He was measuring effectively, and making good tactical decisions that had we played on a table-top, he would have given up on. Long story short, maptool took an imposing aspect of roleplaying combat, and simplified it so that a player who traditionally doesn't enjoy such things, really did. That is, as if getting my players together over the internet wasn't such a huge praise of MapTool, then enabling one of those players to enjoy the full game (so to speak) surely is.

Thanks MT-team, we really enjoyed the first half of this adventure : )

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Super cool. That's really cool to hear that it broadened the horizon of a player :)

Love the screenie to btw
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Mathemagician
Dragon

Post by Mathemagician »

Another day, another story. The adventurers push further into the cave of the Kobolds, seeking a holy symbol that they seem to have stolen from a priest. I'm not sure if it's appropriate or desired to post the details of the story here, but I do want to highlight how MapTool was used to enhance our game.

As will always be the case, the game is played wholly over the internet, so without MapTool there is no game. Thanks again for that!

New things:

This was our first "cavern crawl" with Maptool. Boy, did I learn a lot. I thought it'd be "cool" to have the cave be a little windy, and not necessarily conforming to the standard 5ft wide hallways all the time. This brought on a lot of "can I stand here? it's kinda in the wall..." questions. I guess I should remember not to trust a mathematician's viewpoint on "cool" :) (Or at least be reasonable about it!).
Another thing I learned about caverns. I took the "easy" way out, and just drew out the path using the drawing tool, painting in the background, with black walls. Well, I happened to forget that the fog of war was also black. This lead to a lot of "Is that a wall, or can I just not see that far?" Oops. :)
I also learned a valuable lesson about VBL. I used a "spider web" approach to VBLifying the walls. This ran perfectly fine on my computer, until I had 4 players connected, at which point I thought my computer would explode. I seriously kept checking to make sure I had in fact stopped running some massive Matlab things, it was sooooo slow. I'll definitely be using the "cutout" approach to VBL on my next map :)

As for how MapTool helped more than a normal battlemat. I can't say enough how cool it is to have lighting and vision so effortlessly. My players know exactly what they can see, and hearing their yelps of terror as they round the corner, hit control-i, and there's an army right there waiting....well, it is endless fun.

The hidden layer allowed me to have a monster use its stealth skill without the players having any meta-knowledge about what was going on. Bonus!

My players deeply enjoyed the efforts that this community have put into the 4e macros. They were able to use them so that I could stop asking "ok, what is this power doing again?" Very handy : )

My players, in action!

And, an example of how NOT to do the VBL....I think I thought I was playing Missile Command, when I made this:

Return to “Session Report-Back”