Wandered Roads, Session 1
Players Present: Andy, Ben.
Players Missing: Arne
Characters Present: Tonim, Fortis, Seeker (GM)
NPCs: Hrowwl, Gil, Sarn, S'kar'aa
Lurkers: Steve, Mike, Cathy, Stephen.
You are all on the road, just outside of Merrowwick when a strange creature stumbled out of the woods and approached you.
S'kar'aa: "Hep maa pleez"
The creature falls to the ground
* Fortis takes a moment to observe the newcomer
Several of the townsfolk that had gathered for the duel come up to see what is going on.
* Tonim lets his pack and spare spear drop to the ground, and leans on the butt of his other spear.
The creature is reptilian and blue skinned
He is breathing heavily and appears to be exhausted.
* Fortis flies in for a closer look
Seeker steps forward toward the creature and says "What is wrong, how can we help?
but the creature just lies there, panting.
* Tonim whispers to Hrowwl, "What IS...THAT!?"
Hrowwl: "Its a Kobold. Nasty little creatures if you get them mad, but really nothing more than a nuisance most of the time."
* Tonim observes the woods behind the kobold to see whats pursueing him.
Sarn: "Ive seen Kobolds before, some live in the tunnels near the mines at Deeprose Gorge."
Fortis: Are you wounded? What help is it you require?
Upon closer examination, the Kobold appears to be wounded and has many cuts and gashes on his body, though most appear to be at least 2 days old.
The Kobold has become unresponsive, apparently unconscious, but still breathing.
Tonim: Well...uh...I know a little first aid...not much...
Tonim: Is there a doctor nearby?
* Fortis lands near the creature and begins mumbling
Fortis: minor healing « 3d6 = 8 »
Tonim: OH MY GAWD IS THAT MAGIC!!!?!!!?!
Fortis: Shhhh! I'm trying to concentrate!
The Kobold stirs a bit and sits up weakly
S'kar'aa: "Ahh, tanks you, birdy." He looks around at the group gathered around him. "Yuz hep me." He then begins babbling in another language.
Fortis: Who hurt you?
S'kar'aa: "Me S'kar'aa"
Fortis: I'm Fortis, how did you get hurt?
Sarn: "He is speaking in Dwarven. I know a bit of Dwarven."
Sarn says a few words the the Kobold in a rough, harsh langauge, and S'kar'aa listens then begins babbling quickly back to him
Sarn: "He says that rats from below attacked his family and made them slaves. He said he tried to help them but they hurt him and threw him in a river. He wants us to follow him to his home, Deeprose Gorge."
Tonim: Rats? How do rats make you slaves?
Fortis: We're going there anyway... but wouldn't those be some abnormally capable rats? I wonder...
Seeker: "I shall help you little one." He turns to Sarn, "Tell him I will help him."
Sarn: "He says they are big rats. Bigger than him and his family."
* Tonim wanders over and picks up his gear, casting sidelong glances at Hrowwl.
Fortis: Those are certainly some rodents of unusual size!
Hrowwl: Gives a nod to Tonim, "We should help him, he came a long way to look for help."
Tonim: Okay then.
* Tonim helps the kobold up.
Tonim: Well now, little fella, maybe we can help you with this problem of yours.
* Tonim casts worried looks at Fortis.
Fortis: Where did you learn to speak dwarven Sarn? how many languages do you know? Glenmar seemed to know a lot of them too. Maybe....
Sarn: "It is just over a full days march to Deeprose Gorge, if we leave now, we should be there just after noon tomorrow."
Sarn: "Remember, I spent some years living with the Dwarves of Deeprose Gorge. They taught me some of their language."
Tonim: Well, let me and Hrowwl lead the way, we've spent a fair bit of time in the woods.
Tonim says to the GM: I think survival might let me shave time off that?
* Fortis flies over to Salura, alights on her attractive shoulder and starts to whisper to her
You whisper to Fortis: send her home...
Tonim says to the GM: or Navigation
Fortis: im Salura sniffs and wipes away a tear as she turns to walk back into Merrowick, turning only once to wave a sad smile.
You whisper to Tonim: but why dont you let Seeker and Gil do some scouting
Tonim says to the GM: sure
Seeker: "I too have some experience in the woods," he gives a long look at Hrowwl and snorts a bit, "My friend Gil and I can scout ahead and your sword can help defend the others in case of an ambush by these 'rats.'"
Fortis: If we all scout ahead, isn;t that the same as traveling together?
Tonim: Well, I can't say I'm much worried about rats, I once beat a goblin in a fist fight, but you go right ahead.
* Tonim idly bites a fingernail
The 9' tall Wolfen and his Orc companion head off into the woods down the path.
* Tonim whistles idly and follows
he motley group heads north and west on the trail that leads to the Dwarven enclave of Deeprose Gorge.
Nothing out of the ordinary happens for the rest of the day. As the group sets camp for the night, the big Wolfen, Seeker, and his Orc companin, Gil, return.
The camp is set and everyone gathers around the firepit.
* Tonim picks a piece of straw and chews on it
Everyone sits quietly until the Orc clears his throat loudly.
Gil: "Well, I guess we could all introduce ourselves. Im Gil. I am a sailor and normally hail from Seaholm on the north shore of the Algor Sea.
* Tonim shares some food with the kobold
Tonim: I'm Tonim. I'm...just wandering. From down southeast a bit.
Fortis: What brought you to Merrowick GIl?
S'kar'aa: The Kobold scarfs down the food, "Ahhh, tanks to you, mighty one." He seems to hoard the food closely as he eats it.
* Tonim shares water, too.
Gil: He motions to his companion, "My friend here, Seeker, and I just thought a change of scenery would be nice. Heard Deeprose Gorge was beautiful this time of year."
S'kar'aa: gulp gulp , burp. Ahh
Gil: "What about you, little one?"
Fortis: Really? Sarn, I thought you said it was a mining town ?
Fortis: Yes S'kar'aa, how are you doing there little one?
Seeker: "Yes, little man. What are you exactly? What is your race? How fast can you fly? How high can you fly?"
Tonim: Yeah, and can you do other magic? How do you do magic?
Sarn: "Well yes, Deeprose Gorge is a mining operation, but that is underground, the Gorge itself is beautiful.
Everyone seems to be looking at Fortis, asking him questions in rapid fire succession.
Tonim: I've heard of magic before. Never seen it, though.
Fortis: Oh, I see how it is... little huh? mumble grumble.... well, I can fly because I have these BRIGHT BLUE WINGS, which ....
You whisper to Tonim: werent you healed by a priest in Badd Land?
Fortis: I have because I'm an Ellyl, Fortis, Chavelier du Borough de Legash
Tonim says to the GM: uh, i hope not...lemme go check
You whisper to Tonim: its still ok to be more curious
Fortis: Magic is an art like many others, tracking for example, which I assume you are familiar with
Tonim: Oh yeah
Tonim: But I taught myself tracking, mostly
Fortis: It is an art based on will, the manipulation of mana, like a smith forges natural iron into an object, a mage modls mana into a spell
* Tonim nods and looks confused
Fortis: Many Fae can do it. And quite a number of others as well, can you not?
Tonim: Oh, no, I'm normal!
Fortis: and by 'normal' you would mean what, exactly?
Tonim: Uh, you know, a regular person.
Fortis: Right. In any event it is a pert of who you are, like being blond or haveing blue wings instead of yellow
* Gil has a confused look on his face, "Normal, yes, what do you mean? I think i am normal."
Gil: "Im a regular person"
Hrowwl: "Yes, as am I. You are confusing me, friend Flinn, I mean Tonim. What do you consider 'regular'"
Tonim: Well, I mean, where I come from, it's just plain folks, nothing fancy. I've never even met a sailor before, much less an orc or a little butterfly fella or anything like that!
Several of those sitting around the fire get strange looks on their faces.
* Seeker begins laughing heartily, "You are funny, Human. I like you."
Fortis: Apparently there are more things in existance, Flinn than are dreampt of in your philosophy.
* Tonim flushes red
Fortis: It is no matter, we are all what and who we were born to be
* Gil pullsout a flask and takes a big swig, "Demon Water, anyone, its the best in the North!" He passes it around the fire.
You whisper to Tonim: he called you Flinn... and Hrowwl called you both... hehe
* Fortis takes an amazingly large portion for his body weight
* Tonim takes a sip and coughs and chokes before passing it on!
Fortis: Thanks, don;t mind if I do
Fortis: Ahhh... like honeyed nectar, but sweeter, and with a little less kick
* Hrowwl says "That is a big drink for someone so, um, small." Hrowwl takes a gulp and passes it along as well.
Fortis: I appologize, Master Gil, for overindulging in your proffered generosity
You whisper to Fortis: just so you know, alcohol can still affect you, you just get a bonus to your roll!
* Gil pats his satchel nearby, "Tis ok, Master Fortis, Ive another flask in here for later!" He smiles a toothy grin and takes another swig.
Fortis: A well provisioned traveler is a happy companion
Tonim: Gil, you oughtta visit this Orc priest in Badd Land, he made the best beers I've ever tasted. I best you two would get along like peas in a pod!
Tonim: Narsh was his name, as I recall...
Fortis: What is your business, Master Flinn? you are a woodsman of strange mark and unfamiliar experience.
* Gil says "Well thank you for the tip, friend. I will look him up if i am ever in the area"
Tonim: I, uh, don't have any real "business" as you might call it. I was just, um, hunting and stuff in the woods and kinda working my way up to Merrowick. Ran into Hrowwl here and have been hunting together...
* Tonim chews harder on his straw
You whisper to Fortis: u have control now
Fortis: That is what confuses me, you appear oddly armored for a hunter
You whisper to Tonim: ive given you control of Hrowwl so you can talk for him if you want, you know how to impersonate?
Tonim says to the GM: yeah
* Tonim laughs nervously
Tonim: Well, you'd be surprised what you run into in the woods sometimes...
* Hrowwl laughs quietly also.
Fortis: What beasts do you armor youself against with such mail? should we be concerned?
* Hrowwl says "It depends, there are many dangerous beasts in these woods. Many other dangerous things as well, besides beasts. Sometimes we can even be a danger to ourselves." He shoots a sidelong glance at Tonim.
Fortis: So, you are forethoughtful enough to anticipate meeting a creature of such ferocity that you need mail to protect yourself, and wealthy enough to so equip?
Tonim: Yeah, we got caught in a Dominion ambush the other day, and then came along a bunch of Wolfen, a big darn fight...we were lucky to get out.
* Seeker rubs his chin and listens intently, "Wolfen attack? Interesting, did you make out any of their Legion markings? Where exactly were you?"
* Hrowwl nods in agreement.
Fortis: Ahhh... so you took the armor of your slain foe?!? I heartily approve! tell me, how many did you defeat when they ambushed you?
Tonim: I didn't impersonate anybody! There were a bunch of them, I ran like hell!
Tonim: er, not impersonate, defeat...
Fortis: Oh, I'm sorry, so you had the mail before that then
Tonim: Well, um, yeah
Tonim: I found it
Tonim: on a dead guy
Tonim: I killed!
Fortis: Twice perhaps?
Tonim: Well, um, he was already dead...I think
The Kobold, who had been sleeping near the fire, shreiks out and sits straight up, looks around with wild eyes, then curls back up in a little blue ball and continues to sleep.
Fortis: They are so cute when they dream... I wonder if he's chasing squirrels
Hrowwl: You are very inquisitive, little one. I don't think our friend is married and he has no wife to dally with...maybe a sister back home.
* Hrowwl grins and winks
* Gil says "Probably chasing blue butterflies" he gives a wry smile and chuckles.
Fortis: that would account for the scream then
You whisper to Tonim: u did that? cool, with the icon too... interesting
Tonim says to the GM: yah
You whisper to Fortis: Tonim can impersonate hrowwl , wonder why you cant... same settings.. try again
Hrowwl: What about you, Seeker? How do you come by this place?
Hrowwl: You asked about the Wolfen legions...are you in one?
Tonim says to the GM: is it in my speaking color?
Sarn: Yes, I too am curious about Wolfen
* Seeker scratches behind his ear, "No, I am not a part of the Empires Legions, I am merely a traveler, seeking out knowledge and experience."
Lorryn says to the GM: neat how the tokens are coming up with the dialogue
Sarn: Peaceful experinences I do hope
You whisper to Fortis: Sarn knows about wolfen, he has lived many years in the wolfen empire... just so ya know, the village where hes from is in wolfen lands
* Seeker says "You cannot dictate how the experiences are found, only how you deal with them. There is a lesson in all things, so my grandfather would say."
* Tonim nods. "Ain't that the truth."
* Hrowwl nods his head in agreement with Seekers words.
Sarn: too true
Sarn: And you. Hrowwl, what path led you here?
* Fortis rummages through the pack Sarn was carrying and pull out a biscuit
* Hrowwl says "Me, I am but a simple hunter. I move from place to place. I have no true home, not in this area anyway. I hail from the Hinterlands, far to the north and west.
* Hrowwl says "I happened across this child," he motions to Tonim, "and decided I needed to take him under my wing. Did not want to see him turn out to be another head on a pike outside of Badd Land."
* Tonim grins.
Tonim: Hey, I can hold my own if I have to!
Fortis: Was your head endangered Tonim?
Tonim: Well, there was this Goblin that murdered a guy! He challenged me to a duel, but I beat him down. I had to get out of town after that, though...
* Hrowwl says "Holding your own was not goin to be the problem when the Vipers came after you."
* Hrowwl says "If i remember correctly, you called him out, remember."
Tonim: Well, what he did wasn't justice...
Tonim: Closer to murder. If that's what passes for law and order in Badd Land, count me out.
* Seeker says, "Ahh, justice. That word means much to different people in different places. Be careful with those thoughts, friend Tonim."
Tonim: He murdered a family man for stealing something. I think most people would see that as injust.
Fortis: Depends on what he stole, and perhaps on who he stole it from
Tonim: He stole from a bunch of thugs to feed his family!
Tonim: But I won money on our fight, and gave it to the widow. That should help her.
* Gil takes another big swig from his flask, "Im going to turn in for the night, wake me when its my turn to watch."
Fortis: I honor youe justice Tonim, but please do not assume it is the only kind to exist, just as there may be other reces, there may be other truths
* Seeker says "Good night, Gil. I will take first watch, if no one objects. And yes, Fortis, you are right, many have different views on what is just and true."
* Tonim pulls out a thin blanket and leans against his pack.
Fortis: A good night's rest seems a lovely thought, I bid you all good eventide as well
* Fortis flits up to a nearby treebranch and settles in for the night.
As everyone beds down, Seeker sets up a position near some trees just outside of camp.
Sarn: Would you like me to watch next? or after Gil, either way, please wake me for my turn
The night passes quietly, everyone taking a quick turn at watch. In the morning, everyone breaks camp after a short meal. S'kar'aa eats ravenously again, but seems in a bit better mood.
* Tonim stands and walks around the camp, stretching his legs
* S'kar'aa says "Tank agin for hep me and family. Come, not much to go. Behind S'kar'aa"
* Tonim shoulders his pack, checks his broadsword and shield, and carries his spears in one hand.
* Fortis flies down from his perch, refreshed and looking forward to an interesting day
S'kar'aa leads the group further down the trail. The forests begin to give way to rockier terrain and soon enough the party arrives at the Gorge.
The Gorge is beautiful, with bands of red and brown rock in the walls, far below, a muddy river rages through.
Tonim: Wow, it is pretty!
Fortis: Stunning visuals, I wonder what medium would best capture the rugged cliff faces?
About a quarter mile down the Gorge, you can see the remains of a bridge, broken now and fallen into the water below.
* S'kar'aa motions to the destroyed bridge, "That where rats throw S'kar'a."
* Tonim scratches his head.
Fortis: Off the bridge?
Tonim: How did *rats* throw you?
From a quarter mile away, it is hard to discern the damage to the bridge.
Fortis: Shall we take a close look?
* Tonim moves ahead, checking for tracks...
* S'kar'aa says with what may be a puzzled look on his face "Bridge work other day."
Fortis: Where does the bridge lead? to the town? to the mines?
You make your way further down the trail, noticing many old tracks, boots and the occasional wheeled wagon.
* Sarn says "The bridge used to cross the Gorge to the entrance to the enclave. The Dwarves live and mine underground.
Tonim: Where's your village? On the other side?
Fortis: S'kar'aa, were the dwarves still working when you left?
* S'kar'aa says " S'kar'aa live inside ground. With family."
Tonim: Down in the gorge, or on the other side?
* S'kar'aa says "Yes, family working for rats when S'kar'aa gets thrown down"
* Sarn says "The Dwarves live inside the earth. Across the bridge, to those doors there, see." He points across the Gorge and you see a set of large wooden doors set into the side of the Gorge.
Fortis whispers to sarn "is it possible that dwarves did this to him and he considers them rats?"
* Tonim is walking up to edge and looking for another way to cross.
* Sarn says "The Dwarves of Deeprose Gorge wouldn't destroy their only way out of the mines. They are a hard working, peaceful group. Miners, craftsmen and traders. Without the bridge, they would not survive."
S'kar'aa begins to get anxious.
* S'kar'aa says "Pleez, gots to hep S'kar'aa family. They inside. Rats hurt them, make work."
The Gorge is about 20 feet deep here, and about 50 feet across to the doors in the cliff face.
* Tonim looks hopeful
Tonim: Fortis, could you magically teleport us across?
Fortis: No, but I can fly a rope across if someone has one, and where did ou learn about teleportation?
Tonim: Mama's fairy tales, of course!
Tonim: I've got about...oh...30 feet of rope or so...
The gap in the bridge is at least 30 feet across
Fortis: anyone else have rope?
* S'kar'aa begins babbling in Dwarven again.
* Sarn says " S'kar'aa says he knows of another way in, down in the Gorge, by the water. Some sort of tunnel or gate."
Tonim: Can you show us the way?
* S'kar'aa says "Yess, yess, must climb down though. Follow S'kar'aa."
Tonim: Well, most of us have to climb...
* Tonim winks at Fortis
* Fortis swoops along down the cliff, looking for suprises
The Gorge is not as deep in this area, only about 20 feet down to the water below.
* Tonim lowers his pack to the bottom.
Tonim: Fortis, untie that and we can use the rope to lower the others down that need it.
* Tonim glances around and cocks his head
* Tonim sees a dry spot to land his pack on near the stream below.
GM: The pack sets down on a rocky outcropping near the bottom
* Fortis unfastens the rope attached to the pack
* S'kar'aa scurries down the cliff face, nearly head first, and makes it to the bottom, where he huddles against the rock wall, waiting for the rest to make it down.
Fortis: S'kar'aa, how big are these rats? as big as humans?
* Tonim and Seeker tie the rope to a rock and lower the rest of the party. I lower him, then drop the rope and climb down unaided.
* S'kar'aa says "Rats bigger than me. Not as big as mighty man up top."
Most of the party makes it down with aid from the rope and those above. Tonim drops the rope and begins his descent.
* Tonim hops off the cliffface to his feet and looks satisfied with himself.
Tonim makes it down safely. The ledge is narrow, and everyone is crowded. S'kar'aa points upstream.
* S'kar'aa says "That way."
* Tonim shoulders his pack, notably arming his shield and a spear...
* Fortis zooms upstream a bit and looks around
* Fortis only sees the stream and cliff face.
* Tonim sniffs the water.
The water looks clear and clean, rushing quickly past you.
* Tonim fills his waterskin full.
* S'kar'aa says "Path is below water." He points upstream to near where Fortis is flying around.
* Tonim looks worried.
Tonim: You mean we gotta swim?
It is hard to tell how deep the water is, but it is rushing past fairly quickly.
Fortis: I'm not sure this is such a good idea, why don't we go talk to the dwarves?
Tonim: How far do we gotta swim?
* S'kar'aa looks confused. "You will hep S'kar'aa family?"
* Seeker sticks his staff down in the water. "Its not too deep, I think we can walk through the stream. Its not that far."
Fortis: We have to get there first, can we climb the far side and use the door?
Tonim: I can tie the rope off, give folks something to pull along with.
Tonim: Anybody a good swimmer?
* Seeker hops down into the water and almost loses his footing. "Its not too bad, just go slow!"
Tonim: I can a little...
* Seeker begins trudging upstream toward where S'kar'aa pointed.
Fortis: I think I would be swept off by the current, I do not swim with any certainty
* S'kar'aa crawls along the edge of the stream, seeming afraid of the water, he is able to find small handholds and ledges as he follows the dark Wolfen upstream.
Tonim: Is this UNDER the water? Like a submerged tunnel?
Gil and Hrowwl both hop into the water and begin heading upstream as well.
Sarn hops down and tries the same, but loses his footing and goes under.
* Tonim tries to grab Sarn
* Sarn breaks the surface about 10 feet downstream from where Tonim is, flailing wildly.
* Tonim drops his gear and jumps in after Sarn
Everyone turns quickly to watch whats going on in the stream behind them.
* Fortis flies as fast as he can downstream of Sarn
GM: (( waiting on a +3 swimming roll from Tonim ))
As Tonim dives in, Fortis flies down past Sarn, who is having trouble keeping his head up.
Tonim reaches Sarn as he goes under again
Tonim and Sarn both go under as Fortis begins casting a spell.
Both Humans begin gasping as they take in water.
Sarn begins to rise slowly, magically out of the water.
* Fortis Sarn floats over to the riverbank, dripping and gasping
* Tonim manages to pull himself, coughing and hacking, back up onto the bank.
Tonim: Maybe we should all grab hold of my rope as we go through the water?
After a moment of catching their breath, Sarn and Tonim make their way upstream holding onto a rope that Fortis ferried down to Seeker to hold.
Fortis: WHY are we going through the water instead of talking to the dwarves?
Tonim: Is this path UNDER water? Or just THROUGH the water?
Everyone looks up the doors in the cliffs, 20 feet above, and then down to where S'kar'aa is pointing to a grating just below the surface of the water.
Tonim: Don't worry, Fortis. You can ride in my pocket!
The grate is secured, covereing what appears to be a small tunnel underwater.
Tonim: I think we ought to give the grate a try, see if we can't come in the back way surprise them rats
Fortis: This is not the best access, let us ascend and find another way
Fortis: Anyone crossing an unusable bridge will provide surprise, surely
Everyone just sort of stands there as Fortis and Tonim debate the best way in.
Fortis: Are there any other opinions?
Tonim: I'm going to try and wrench the gate open?
Tonim: Let's just see how far it goes
Fortis: Suit yourself, I just don't see me diving through fast running water
With a splash, the Tonim rips the great off the tunnel entrance.
Tonim: I told you, you can ride in my pocket!
* Tonim loses his footing while holding the heavy grate and crashes into the water again.
Fortis: Didn;t your pocket just try to marry itself to the bottom of this river?
Fortis: Perhaps there are safer and drier methods.
* Hrowwl quickly fishes his wet friend out of the water before he can wash away.
* Tonim shakes the water from his hair.
Tonim: This is living!
* Tonim grins
Fortis: For the moment, in a little while it may be drowning
* Tonim turns to S'Kar'aa
Tonim: How far does this run?
* S'kar'aa says "Little bit. Never go through." He then babbles something else in dwarven.
Fortis: You mean, you didn't go out this way then close the grate behind yourself?
* Sarn says "He says he dosent know how far it runs, but not far. He says it leads into the lower caverns, below the mines. From what I remember, the lower caverns was where the Kobolds lived.