Savage Worlds One-Shot: Supernatual Pulp Action

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

Foo Dog
Giant

Savage Worlds One-Shot: Supernatual Pulp Action

Post by Foo Dog »

Here is a mini-review of MapTool that I've posted on my blog and a number of RPG forums. Most of this won't be a huge revelation to the folks around here but I just wanted folks to know that I'm a huge fan. (And now to put my money where my mouth is).

I took MapTool for a shakedown cruise last night. I (mercifully) survived my first time GMingSavage Worlds! Call me a 'believer' - MapTool is a great virtual gaming table. Add in the other RPTools then you've got a truly kick-donkey set of tools for an online RPG game. InitTool came in handy for managing combat and has built in support for Savage Worlds and D&D (there were one or two more though I can't remember the other ones at the moment). Using TokenTool was a breeze and enabled me to whip up some custom tokens for a PC and some NPCs in less than a minute each.

However, I wouldn't say that MapTools is "very easy" to use. You will spend some time and effort trying to understand the interface and spend even more time to make full use of the application's capabilities. While that may not sound like a ringing endorsement, I found the energy and time very well-spent especially if one is determined to run a game online. There are also screen-cast tutorials out to help you along the learning curve.

I played in a few OpenRPG games a while back and that experience was OK. Over the past few years, I made several attempts to re-install the latest version(s) of OpenRPG and see if I could make a go of it but I always found the UI, the tools and all the XML stuff a bit daunting.

I was also encouraged to find an active and VERY supportive community on RPTools.net. One of the players, a veteran Savage Worlds DM and an RPTools regular, set up the campaign properties (e.g. stat block) and some basic scripts to help with the trait and skill rolls.

I found that I had to do a good amount of prep work setting up the tokens, embedding the stats and making maps. I spent a lot of time making maps but that's really not a necessity as there are a lot of good maps out there. I chose to make some custom maps and also re-scale some existing maps to the grid I was using. All this work saved a lot of effort and time during showtime. The players and I were able to focus on what was going on with the characters and their adventures rather than mucking around with the software.

MapTool does not support voice chat and I only used the MapTool's native chat last night. The chat interface saw us through the game just fine, if not a bit slowly. This is obviously a detriment especially if you or one of your players type slowly. If I were to run the game online again I would use voice chat (Skype conference call or Ventrillo, probably Skype since it's free).

For those interested in MapTool or other Virtual Gaming Table (VGT) software, check out this chart to see how each application stacks up against the others.

Does anyone have any experiences with MapTool or any other VGT software? It doesn't matter whether they are similar or contrary to my experience but I would like to hear your war stories. :)

#

I will leave the story-time to the players who participated in the game. :)

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Sounds like a good review. Pretty accurate, maptools does have quite a learning curve, but well worth it!

For future use, you can download and host a ventrilo server for free, it's just limited in that it can only hold eight people at a time.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Foo Dog is a good DM. If you're a Savage do yourself a favor and take part in one of his one shots.

Tokens do take a while to setup. We've asked for a token editing tool that reads a rptok file and makes it easily editable. Hopefully one of the super coders will pick it up someday and run with it.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Thanks for the post, it was a fun read :)

Could you post the link for your blog so we can follow the comments ?
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Foo Dog
Giant

Post by Foo Dog »

trevor wrote:Thanks for the post, it was a fun read :)

Could you post the link for your blog so we can follow the comments ?
There aren’t a whole lot of comments but you can find the threads over at
* Unclebear.com's Dire Cafe
* my local gaming guild forum
* my LiveJournal

I also put up a new post on RPG.net.

Also, my next pay check will see a portion invested in MapTool :)

Foo Dog
Giant

Post by Foo Dog »

RPTroll wrote:Foo Dog is a good DM. If you're a Savage do yourself a favor and take part in one of his one shots.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll be running a game next week on Tuesday or Wednesday evening. I'm looking to start earlier 6:30pm or 6:00pm if that works out better for you.

Return to “Session Report-Back”