Saving children and busting heads with MapTools

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

Rumble
Deity

Saving children and busting heads with MapTools

Post by Rumble »

For the past two weeks (and again tomorrow evening) I've run D&D 4E for my two brothers, who are both playing 2 characters. They're currently in the midst of an adventure that has them attempting to rescue a hostage from an evil cult, deep underneath Gardmore Abbey.

Overall, our experience with MapTools has been a breeze. We're all using b35, since at the time we started two weeks ago, it was the latest version. We had no issues connecting, or transferring map images.

We ran into trouble with vision and lighting, and deemed it too much of a hassle to work with as we got our feet under ourselves (we ran into them not being able to see, being able to see too much, having light sources act oddly, having to remember to reveal visible areas, etc, and just thought it wasn't worth the effort).

As far as token states and token manipulation, that worked out beautifully - we're using AidyBaby's token states and it's really very useful.

The basic stuff - map creation and such - is also really smooth. Some of it isn't quite intuitive, but I've gotten the hang of it I think.

We don't heavily use macros, although with the /stp property we can now do stuff like damage and whatnot.

We also use InitTool to keep track of initiative; I've got it publishing via FTP to a web page that I can update as needed, and the players can see it update. I really wish MapTools had an integrated initiative counter (something simple), but even so, InitTool has been a big help.

Overall, we really enjoy using it.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Awesome, glad to hear how things are going Rumble, I appreciate the report back :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “Session Report-Back”