ADAP 1-1, Barrow of the Ogre King

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

ADAP 1-1, Barrow of the Ogre King

Post by UntoldGlory »

Daelkyr ran this RPGA adventure last night. Went really well from a technical perspective (at least on maptools end). We had a couple minor bugs, but the biggest issues were probablly Dael's ISP.

Again I wished for the reseed RNG option, and closed out maptools to force a reseed once. Didn't help much though. Out of like 5 encounters I only hit like 3 times. It was getting fairly frustrating.

Dael's a great DM though, and I highly reccomend playing with him if you get the chance. I do prefer voice though, for saying things like what attack is against who at least. I usually prefer OOC/tactical in vent and IC in chat, except with characters that have a unique voice I like to muddle my way through (like my Dragonborn cleric has a "Warf" from star trek voice).

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Love the screenies, especially the layout one at the top.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Daelkyr
Giant

Post by Daelkyr »

Thanks for the kind words UntoldGlory. I had a blast running it. Most of the technical problems where from my hardware and ISP, but there was a very long run of bad rolls.

If a reseed RNG option would fix that without having to log out of Maptools, then I FULLY support implementing this in b42. There has too be a way to break a bad roll experience. It is frustration to see my players miss time and time again. UG's hit ratio is no exaggeration.

All and all, love b41, love Maptool in general, and ABSOLUTELY LOVE playing with my PC's. These guys are classy.

- Josh

knizia.fan
Giant

Post by knizia.fan »

If you really think the random number generator is being wonky, here's a macro that will roll d20 2000 times and tally the counts for each result. If the die roller is fair, then on average one expects 13 of the 20 rolls to have counts in the range 90-110. 19 of the roll counts will typically lie in the range 80-120, and the counts should almost always lie within 70-130 (only 1% chance of that not happening, or about one time per 5 runs).

In any case, rolling 2000 times should flush out any weirdness :), and it's easier than disconnecting. It takes MapTool a few seconds to run this macro, and b41 or later is required.

Code: Select all

[h,c(20,""): eval("count"+roll.count+" = 0 ")]  
[h,c(400,""): eval("roll"+roll.count+" = 1d20")]
[h,c(400,""): eval("count"+eval("roll"+roll.count)+" = 1+count"+eval("roll"+roll.count))]  
[h,c(400,""): eval("count"+eval("roll"+roll.count)+" = 1+count"+eval("roll"+roll.count))]  
[c(20,"<br>"): "Number of rolls yielding "+roll.count+" was: "+eval("count"+roll.count)]
Sample output wrote:Number of rolls yielding 1 was: 83
Number of rolls yielding 2 was: 101
Number of rolls yielding 3 was: 114
Number of rolls yielding 4 was: 94
Number of rolls yielding 5 was: 111
Number of rolls yielding 6 was: 91
Number of rolls yielding 7 was: 104
Number of rolls yielding 8 was: 114
Number of rolls yielding 9 was: 92
Number of rolls yielding 10 was: 96
Number of rolls yielding 11 was: 95
Number of rolls yielding 12 was: 91
Number of rolls yielding 13 was: 85
Number of rolls yielding 14 was: 100
Number of rolls yielding 15 was: 124
Number of rolls yielding 16 was: 85
Number of rolls yielding 17 was: 104
Number of rolls yielding 18 was: 118
Number of rolls yielding 19 was: 102
Number of rolls yielding 20 was: 96

UntoldGlory
Great Wyrm

Post by UntoldGlory »

Awesome KFan! I will deff put that in a global for a "dice flush"!

trevor

Post by trevor »

knizia.fan, that's just crazy enough to work !

I'd love to see some of your results of this test, please post !

knizia.fan
Giant

Post by knizia.fan »

I tried it a few times and didn't see anything peculiar in the statistics. To tell the truth, I'm skeptical that anything's wrong with the die roller. It would have to be majorly broken for there to be an observable bias, and any random number generator provided with Java is going to be pretty sophisticated. But if you see anything peculiar, be sure to post. (I gave what I think is the correct expected variability in the macro post.)

You only roll d20 a handful of times in a session, so any given session is going to be skewed. If you've ever played Settlers of Catan, that's another game (with real dice) where it can truly seem the dice are out to get you, because you don't roll them enough times to get a uniform spread. The problem with D&D is that it's normal for a d20 to be skewed one way or the other over 5 or 10 rolls, and that might be a frustrating hour or two of play when it happens to be skewed low.

On the other hand, it's always fun to blame the dice; even in real life people will swap out their "cursed" dice if they're rolling low. Maybe MapTool could simulate a real bag of dice by letting you switch between multiple random number generators, each printing results in a different color :)

If you use the macro a lot, you might want to put /self at the beginning to avoid throwing 20 lines of text into chat each time.

trevor

Post by trevor »

knizia.fan wrote: On the other hand, it's always fun to blame the dice;
There's the key, I think it's part of the rp experience :)

Return to “Session Report-Back”