Lenchford Campaign

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

Exploit
Kobold

Lenchford Campaign

Post by Exploit »

I have only used maptools for two sessions so far but overall my experience has been great. My deepest appreciation to the RPtools design team for creating such an awesome product.

I would also like to thank lmarkus001 for the D&D3.5 Pathfinder MT1.3b49 Campaign Macros which I have used as the basis of my own set of macros.

I am using a modified map of Lilium, a stunning creation of a Halfling village created by Hoel over at the Cartographer's Guild as the basis for the town of Lenchford. The map of the entire town has been broken down into 5 foot squares and there are approximately 100 different tokens on the map representing the entire village. (The campaign revolves around a demonic invasion the town and involves a lot of running battles with various NPCs joining in on either side of the battle).

I am using Maptool 1.3.b49 using this start page http://www.eeconsulting.net/maptool/mkjnlp/ and the default settings including 512 MB Maximum Memory size. I have two players with multiple tokens each. Given the size of the map and the number of tokens involved, I thought I would run into memory issues however so far Maptools has peaked at approximately 200 MB which is impressive.

Problems encountered so far:

1) The biggest problem occurred about 6 hours into the last session when one of the players' connection crashed. This seems to have corrupted the map in some way because the campaign file now takes about 20 minutes to load when it normally took less than 2 minutes previously. Also whenever zooming out on the map it consistently freezes for over a minute. Scrolling around on the zoomed in map doesn't seem to have an issue. Looks like I will have to create a new campaign file and move all the tokens over. A lot of work so this time I will save two copies of the campaign file.

2) For some reason the Tables window is permanently selected on but I cannot see it anywhere nor can I deselect it from the windows pull down. I have had this problem since I first used maptools.

3) My understanding from the online documentation was that Campaign macros would be automatically downloaded to clients with the campagin file however this has not worked for us. I have had to export the macros, email them to players and have them import the files from the Impersonate window. If there is a better way to share macros, I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

4) I originally setup most of my tokens with a different set of properties then used in the D&D3.5 Pathfinder MT1.3b49 Campaign Macros campaign file. Those properties still exist on the tokens and I'd like to permanently remove those properties but I have not yet found a method to do so.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Re: Lenchford Campaign

Post by lmarkus001 »

Exploit wrote: Problems encountered so far:

1) The biggest problem occurred about 6 hours into the last session when one of the players' connection crashed. This seems to have corrupted the map in some way because the campaign file now takes about 20 minutes to load when it normally took less than 2 minutes previously. Also whenever zooming out on the map it consistently freezes for over a minute. Scrolling around on the zoomed in map doesn't seem to have an issue. Looks like I will have to create a new campaign file and move all the tokens over. A lot of work so this time I will save two copies of the campaign file.

4) I originally setup most of my tokens with a different set of properties then used in the D&D3.5 Pathfinder MT1.3b49 Campaign Macros campaign file. Those properties still exist on the tokens and I'd like to permanently remove those properties but I have not yet found a method to do so.
Before you rebuild, you should understand that a campaign file is a zip containing the various images, and a single xml file. If you are comfortable with xml, you could poke about that to see if you see anything that has become malformed (compare it to a plain jane simple campaign file).

Also, there is a backup directory that you might be able to get an earlier functional version of your campaign file.

Personally, before I start every evening I save the active campaign file(s) to a new name (just increment a version number, or include the date in the name) and run with that new copy. That way I have a nice easy recovery path (although I have not had critical failures with the more recent builds).

The sure fire way to get rid of token properties is edit the xml... but that is tedious. What I do is use the resetProperty() function. I create a temporary global macro and put the properties I want to clear into the macro, then select the tokens I want cleared and fire away... here is an example macro:

Code: Select all

[resetProperty("MultAtkM")]
[resetProperty("MultAtkMP")]
[resetProperty("WeaponFinesse")]
[resetProperty("Initiative")]
[resetProperty("ImprovedInitiative")]

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Could you send me the problematic campaign ([email protected]) I'll see what's going on.

I've updated the docking framework library for 1.3b50, and I've heard preliminary reports that it greatly helps the frame issues.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Exploit wrote:I am using Maptool 1.3.b49 using this start page http://www.eeconsulting.net/maptool/mkjnlp/ and the default settings including 512 MB Maximum Memory size.
Well, I'm gratified that the web form has been useful to you. :) If you are using the latest development version, the same thing can now be accomplished on the main website by visiting the Launch link in the top menu bar.

However, the Launch page doesn't currently allow older development releases to be executed. If you need that functionality, stick with the above web form for now.
Exploit wrote:Looks like I will have to create a new campaign file and move all the tokens over.
You might want to hold onto that campaign for a little while. The next build of MapTool (b50) will hopefully have the ability to load/save individual maps (assuming my patch makes it into the build). That might make it easier for you to recreate the campaign if the previous suggestions in this thread haven't already helped you.
trevor wrote:Could you send me the problematic campaign ([email protected]) I'll see what's going on.
It's quite possible that his assetcache is screwed up somehow. I was going to suggest that he delete everything in .maptool/assetcache and then load the campaign.

Or perhaps he said "campaign file" but he really means when switching between maps?
Exploit wrote:[...] Campaign macros would be automatically downloaded to clients [...]
There is an option on the "Start a Server..." dialog now that enables this feature.
trevor wrote:I've updated the docking framework library for 1.3b50, and I've heard preliminary reports that it greatly helps the frame issues.
Yep, I'm looking forward to updating from SVN. :)

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Exploit wrote: 1) The biggest problem occurred about 6 hours into the last session when one of the players' connection crashed. This seems to have corrupted the map in some way because the campaign file now takes about 20 minutes to load when it normally took less than 2 minutes previously. Also whenever zooming out on the map it consistently freezes for over a minute. Scrolling around on the zoomed in map doesn't seem to have an issue. Looks like I will have to create a new campaign file and move all the tokens over. A lot of work so this time I will save two copies of the campaign file.
I got the campaign and it turns out that the problem is related to the memory leak when zooming way in on a token with an image overlay. Specifically, zooming too far in causes a memory leak, zooming too far out causes exceptions to be thrown, which makes MT look like it's frozen.

So fixing the memory leak also fixed the issues with the campaign :) This will be in 1.3b50
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “Session Report-Back”