The Undead Nazi Horror from Outer Spaaaace!

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

RPTroll
TheBard

Re: The Undead Nazi Horror from Outer Spaaaace!

Post by RPTroll »

Amaril wrote:
RPTroll wrote:OK. Here's the latest with Super Powers included.
CharSheetv6_powers.jpg
As you can see, a character's super powers now show up in the Skills section along with any other arcane skill the character might have. Super powers work differently from other AB powers and get their own skill.

Other updates include adding "- Active" next to a power that is active and a new radio button so that if a power is active the player can deactivate it.
This is amazing work, RPTroll!

Regarding deactiviation, is there a reason why one wouldn't simply have a button that just says "Deactivate", or is that clunky to do in MapTool? Are there cases where there might be other actions that can be taken beyond deactivation?

Another possible solution for indicating active powers is a superscript A (maybe a red A)at the end of the power name using the CSS style {vertical-align: super;}
I'm really not sure about the fine details of the UI design. It is far from my forte. I think having Active out there is obvious to anyone new using the character sheet. Another word might be better like "ongoing". I also need to make is so folks who don't speak English as their first language can easily understand it. Changing colors would be a good idea as well. Preferably this would be something in the CharacterSheet_css macro that is changeable as part of the overall color scheme.

Regarding deactivate button: I had it this way in one iteration but decided to use the radio button in stead. It made the code cleaner but it doesn't' meant its the best choice for the UI. Under the covers, if you use a power again its going to replace the old instance of the active power. So having the radio button allows only one option to be selected. If someone wanted to deactivate and cast the spell they would simply need to use the power twice. Once to deactivate and one to cast it again.

This could be a problem if someone wanted to cast three separate Barriers and maintain them but I decided to go the easy route and allow only one active power of that name. If I were to allow multiple instantiations of the same power the UI coding gets hairier and I really wanted to get SOMETHING out that handled the majority of situations.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

Regarding wording, I wouldn't worry about language. After all, the entire ruleset and framework is in English, which will be a big enough hurdle if English is a hurdle at all. Besides that, the word active is pretty understandable for anyone who speaks only a little bit of English, or at least enough to use the framework.

Regarding formatting, you would simply apply the inline CSS on the label that appears next to the power. It would look something like this:

Code: Select all

<a href="whatever">Invisibility<span style="vertical-align: super; color: red;">A (or Active)</span></a>
By the way, how does one determine if a power is being maintained, and how are the additional power points managed?
Kristian

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Amaril wrote:By the way, how does one determine if a power is being maintained, and how are the additional power points managed?
It automatically kicks into 'maintained' mode. You have to cancel it if you want it off sooner.

The the initiative Next! macro fires it checks to see if a power is active on the token receiving initiative. If so it deducts the power points from the total. If the character doesn't have enough to maintain the power it turns the power off. All the information is stored in the PowersActive token property. It stores the power name, power type (via power skill), and the round it started. When the token recieves init, the above macro compares the current init round with that stored on PowersActive. If its over the max duration it turns the power off.

All the Points to Maintain, Initial Points to Cast, and Max Duration for each power is stored on the Lib:Powers token.
Last edited by RPTroll on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

RPTroll wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:
snikle wrote:That is awesome stuff, good job Troll. Looks totally kick donkey. I think we should talk about 'skinning' that somehow, to make it look like a fancy character sheet or something.

Still wish whispers would just open in a second chat window, so when I am making rude comments to trevor during the game, I wouldn't have to type /rep trevor every time...but I know, that isn't your fault....TREVOR!?!?!!
You can fairly trivially create an input() with all the token names(say a radio button) and set the macro to whisper the entered message text...If you RPTroll will create some type of property for it, you could event store who was the last token you whispered too and have it automatically select that token as the selected radio button item.
I've had problems integrating INPUT() with forms and dialogs. I always hit a quote/double quote issue along the way. I think that might have been fixed but I haven't dipped my troll toe back into the input() water. I'm attempting to integrate three chat lines into the character sheet. I really don't like the way it looks but one line sends an OOC to chat, one sends to chat normally so you can pre-type your action for the round and one whispers to the GM. If you (jfrazierjr) can get something inputy working I'd gladly steal it. :wink:
macro link to a named macro. hmmm I just found the getAllPlayerNames() function....

In theory, you could create a token property to store the message, player or both. If you stored the message(I created a property named 'msg') , you could quickly run the macro multiple times sending the same message to multiple players by just changing the target player.

//macro 1 (caller)

/whisper  [MACRO("whisper@Lib:Token"):""]

//Macro 2 (callee)

[H: playerList = getAllPlayerNames()]

[H: status = input(
  "msg| " + msg + " | Short Message",
  "player  | " + playerList + " | Choose | RADIO | VALUE=STRING"
)]
[H: abort(status)]

{'"' + player + '"' + " " + msg}

Granted, this is a complete hack, but it will work. Alternatly, you could have two text boxes.... one for NEW message which stays blank and a second one for the last message. If the new message box i blank when you hit ok, it sends the old message... otherwise it sends the new message and replaces the existing saved property. I will let you code that up though.... As an another alternate, you could take out the player selection and build up the player list on your sheet and pass that in and have it preset with the player name so the player just enters the actual text.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Now that's using the old noggin'. I had completely spaced on the idea of calling the macro after a /whisper. Up to this point I'd tried calling a function with a whisper in it and kept running into the scope of the macrolink. Maybe I can use "all" for the scope and call the whisper function which, in turn, calls a macro as you have described.

Dang work. I have to get home before I try it.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

RPTroll wrote:Now that's using the old noggin'. I had completely spaced on the idea of calling the macro after a /whisper. Up to this point I'd tried calling a function with a whisper in it and kept running into the scope of the macrolink. Maybe I can use "all" for the scope and call the whisper function which, in turn, calls a macro as you have described.

Dang work. I have to get home before I try it.
Note, I have NOT tried it with a macroLink().... I am assuming the macro link starts a new execution context instead of pickup up the existing one from the frame/dialog... If so, the new macro will start the whisper, else, it's a bad idea and will only work from a pushed token macro button.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

I'm trying to get away from the pushed macro button. I have one of those now I could modify along the lines of what you've done.

My hope is to speed things up a bit by allowing the player to type in chat stuff ahead of time while still allowing them the opportunity to whisper to the gm or make OOC cracks easily. After all, humor is our goal. :-)

One thought was to store the in character chat stuff to a token property that would automagically fire off when the token received init. This would be handy for the GM running NPCs as well.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

RPTroll wrote: One thought was to store the in character chat stuff to a token property that would automagically fire off when the token received init. This would be handy for the GM running NPCs as well.
Hmmm not sure I understand? Are you talking about queueing up one or more thing they player may say and then dumping all of that based on a got init macro?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

jfrazierjr wrote:
RPTroll wrote: One thought was to store the in character chat stuff to a token property that would automagically fire off when the token received init. This would be handy for the GM running NPCs as well.
Hmmm not sure I understand? Are you talking about queueing up one or more thing they player may say and then dumping all of that based on a got init macro?
Yes. Or, from an NPC perspective doing something like "The troll roars and attacks <insert hapless victem's name here>." I'm not sure it would be widely used but I thought it might speed up combat a bit.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

RPTroll, you're a sick, sick man :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

trevor wrote:RPTroll, you're a sick, sick man :)
He says out of admiration... ;)
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Wait until I get javascript and better html/css support. Then you'll see the real magic start. :-)

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

jfrazierjr wrote: In theory, you could create a token property to store the message, player or both. If you stored the message(I created a property named 'msg') , you could quickly run the macro multiple times sending the same message to multiple players by just changing the target player.

//macro 1 (caller)

/whisper  [MACRO("whisper@Lib:Token"):""]

//Macro 2 (callee)

[H: playerList = getAllPlayerNames()]

[H: status = input(
  "msg| " + msg + " | Short Message",
  "player  | " + playerList + " | Choose | RADIO | VALUE=STRING"
)]
[H: abort(status)]

{'"' + player + '"' + " " + msg}

Granted, this is a complete hack, but it will work. Alternately, you could have two text boxes.... one for NEW message which stays blank and a second one for the last message. If the new message box i blank when you hit ok, it sends the old message... otherwise it sends the new message and replaces the existing saved property. I will let you code that up though.... As an another alternate, you could take out the player selection and build up the player list on your sheet and pass that in and have it preset with the player name so the player just enters the actual text.
BTW: This didn't work.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

RPTroll wrote:
BTW: This didn't work.
Errr..huh? I tested and am pretty sure I copied/pasted exactly.... Or are you saying that it did not work when called from a macroLink()?

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Yes. Unless I goobered something up. If run from a button it works fine.

Return to “Session Report-Back”