The Undead Nazi Horror from Outer Spaaaace!

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

RPTroll
TheBard

Re: The Undead Nazi Horror from Outer Spaaaace!

Post by RPTroll »

I'm in the furor of beating my Powers macros into submission. I'll do a more formal writeup next week sometime. You can find the chat log here.

Foo Dog showed up and took over Dash Savage
Snikle was able to make it and took over Shark Bait
Trevor continued to play SharShar
RPMiller played the Nazi Doctor Stephan

In brief, Shark Bait made the Lunch Lady explode. Dr. Stephan the RatBastardNazi controlled a goo man. Dash Savage showed a lot of teeth even in the face of Mr. Radiation.

We had some errors related to the latest build where the FOR loop changed and some modifications I made to the Init system (although they really rock and allow me to do time specific functions) so the first quarter of the chat log is me taking care of that.

It was a great session overall. Foo Dog really knows how to turn on the whitening power of pepsident.

We're going to play again in two weeks. I'll try to have the session written up by Monday.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

The Powers system will be awesome especially if it integrates with time since my Puppet power has the duration, and I noticed a few others did as well.

It was a fun session even with the technical issues. I was just glad to finally play Stephan. :D
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

I had a good time, and heck, I.MADE.THE.LUNCH.LADY.EXPLODE.

WIN!
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

OK. Powers = done (except for formatting and finding bugs)

Here's the new character sheet screen shot. You'll not that the Derived row now has entries detail power points. In the case of Weird Science, you have to keep track of each device.
CharSheetv5_powers.jpg
CharSheetv5_powers.jpg (47.76 KiB) Viewed 974 times
All the other Arcane backgrounds will just have "Used" as below.
CharSheetv5_powers2.jpg
CharSheetv5_powers2.jpg (44.29 KiB) Viewed 973 times
You'll note that on the first shot, there's an asterisk by one of the powers. That means its active. If you click on the power you get a list of active powers and have the opportunity to turn them off via this interface. Unclick and submit and its off.
CharSheetv5_powers3.jpg
CharSheetv5_powers3.jpg (3.55 KiB) Viewed 974 times
Must sleep now.

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Oh, and one last thing. Here's the new OOC dialogs. You just enter, hit return and you're done.

OOC.jpg
OOC.jpg (14.06 KiB) Viewed 976 times

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

That is awesome stuff, good job Troll. Looks totally kick donkey. I think we should talk about 'skinning' that somehow, to make it look like a fancy character sheet or something.

Still wish whispers would just open in a second chat window, so when I am making rude comments to trevor during the game, I wouldn't have to type /rep trevor every time...but I know, that isn't your fault....TREVOR!?!?!!
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

A couple of suggestions regarding powers.

1) instead of using an asterisk, make the text red instead of blue. It's much more visually noticeable at a glance and matches with the convention of a clicked or active link being red as per default web hyperlink colors.

2) Instead of general points used, I'd like to see points remaining. That's more critical when managing your resources during combat. Ultimately what the player or GM wants to know is "Do I have enough points left?"
Kristian

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Amaril wrote:A couple of suggestions regarding powers.

1) instead of using an asterisk, make the text red instead of blue. It's much more visually noticeable at a glance and matches with the convention of a clicked or active link being red as per default web hyperlink colors.

2) Instead of general points used, I'd like to see points remaining. That's more critical when managing your resources during combat. Ultimately what the player or GM wants to know is "Do I have enough points left?"
1) I'll look into it. That shouldn't be hard.
2) I'll think about it.

Also, I realized I have to do a bit more coding in skills since super powers get a skill for each power.

Oh, and FYI, Weird Science is a pain to code. :-)

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

OK. Here's the latest with Super Powers included.
CharSheetv6_powers.jpg
CharSheetv6_powers.jpg (81.77 KiB) Viewed 956 times
As you can see, a character's super powers now show up in the Skills section along with any other arcane skill the character might have. Super powers work differently from other AB powers and get their own skill.

Other updates include adding "- Active" next to a power that is active and a new radio button so that if a power is active the player can deactivate it.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

snikle wrote:That is awesome stuff, good job Troll. Looks totally kick donkey. I think we should talk about 'skinning' that somehow, to make it look like a fancy character sheet or something.

Still wish whispers would just open in a second chat window, so when I am making rude comments to trevor during the game, I wouldn't have to type /rep trevor every time...but I know, that isn't your fault....TREVOR!?!?!!
You can fairly trivially create an input() with all the token names(say a radio button) and set the macro to whisper the entered message text...If you RPTroll will create some type of property for it, you could event store who was the last token you whispered too and have it automatically select that token as the selected radio button item.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

Yeah, I am sure we can find a way to make it less painful. If you ever used IRC, you know what I mean when I say a separate window that stay with the person you are whispering too.

Looking good RPTroll, I was able to skin the character sheet, however due to the flexibility of the way you made it (so it expands or contracts as needed based upon the data and things listed on the sheet), I cannot make it truly static like I was hoping. Additionally, since java doesn't appear to fully support css and advanced html, we are limited on our capabilities. I will keep messing around with it though, see if I can figure anything out.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

That is looking great Troll! I can't wait to try it out!
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

snikle wrote:Yeah, I am sure we can find a way to make it less painful. If you ever used IRC, you know what I mean when I say a separate window that stay with the person you are whispering too.
This really should be a feature of the basic MapTool interface. You should be able to right-click a user in the Connections panel and open a chat window that explicitly sends whispers to that individual.
Kristian

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

jfrazierjr wrote:
snikle wrote:That is awesome stuff, good job Troll. Looks totally kick donkey. I think we should talk about 'skinning' that somehow, to make it look like a fancy character sheet or something.

You can fairly trivially create an input() with all the token names(say a radio button) and set the macro to whisper the entered message text...If you RPTroll will create some type of property for it, you could event store who was the last token you whispered too and have it automatically select that token as the selected radio button item.
I've had problems integrating INPUT() with forms and dialogs. I always hit a quote/double quote issue along the way. I think that might have been fixed but I haven't dipped my troll toe back into the input() water. I'm attempting to integrate three chat lines into the character sheet. I really don't like the way it looks but one line sends an OOC to chat, one sends to chat normally so you can pre-type your action for the round and one whispers to the GM. If you (jfrazierjr) can get something inputy working I'd gladly steal it. :wink:

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

RPTroll wrote:OK. Here's the latest with Super Powers included.
CharSheetv6_powers.jpg
As you can see, a character's super powers now show up in the Skills section along with any other arcane skill the character might have. Super powers work differently from other AB powers and get their own skill.

Other updates include adding "- Active" next to a power that is active and a new radio button so that if a power is active the player can deactivate it.
This is amazing work, RPTroll!

Regarding deactiviation, is there a reason why one wouldn't simply have a button that just says "Deactivate", or is that clunky to do in MapTool? Are there cases where there might be other actions that can be taken beyond deactivation?

Another possible solution for indicating active powers is a superscript A (maybe a red A)at the end of the power name using the CSS style {vertical-align: super;}
Kristian

Return to “Session Report-Back”