First session across split monitor

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

Ghiolekk
Giant

First session across split monitor

Post by Ghiolekk »

Well only one word can describe my first session as a DM using Maptools.
Awesome!!!
The set up was dual boxing Maptools DM & player over two screens. A monitor of 21 inches (DM's view) and a monitor 42 inches (Player's view).
The game session lasted 8 hours. The campaign was homemade 1st level D&D 4E.
I used Rumble's framework 4.08 edition. The whole campaign created and tuned around August, though played during X-mas vacations.
I will describe here all the merits and flaws using MapTools instead of traditional pen and paper.

Merits:
1. Using Rumble's framework we experienced automated combat. No more buzzing in my head and my players' heads about tracking down everything.

2. Illustrated maps and fog of war setting. No more copying and in game drawing of what my players can see ( and tbh I am the worst art drawer).

3.Smooth movement and pace of the game.

4. Player interaction with many many "colourful" NPCs. My experience in Dming art is vast. Though it is the first time that my PCs have roleplayed with so many NPCs. imagine a whole keep-town, full with NPCs, ready to interact with every PC in any giving moment. The true merit of using maptools is that the DM can have already built in scripts and little background story for every NPC. You can't have that polished option in pen and paper by any means.

5.A DM token (DM visible only) helped me a lot to organise and run a flawless session. Basically in each designed room or area I have a serial numbered token named e.g. as "DM (2-Laboratory). This neat token is filled with read aloud texts, descriptive macros, treasure, skill challenges, skill rolls and special scripts for nearly every possible circumstance in a given area. No more browsing in a book turning pages and trying to find skill DCs in the books. Again this option facilitated a smooth and fast play.

6. Day and Night campaign. Easily to set it with Maptools and gives out a realy natural occuring world.

7. No more 2-3 encounters per session.Actually this thing is prolly one of the top features of using Maptools and especially Rumble's automated combat framework. All those years I was playing either 3rd or 4th edition the max encounters that we could play during a given session were 3 in average. The progress was slow and as a DM that likes to build his adventures I couldn't introduce a large dungeon crawl in my campaing since my players would kill themselves from boredom. Let us just say that I wouldn't dare to imagine how many session would take to finish up deluxe adventures e.g ToEE, RttoH, Dragon Mountain, or any other published campaign that included heavy encounters. In that first session my players finished 11 encounters! Tbh I laugh back at my old days as a DM in traditional pen and paper. Colossal dungeon crawls incoming.

8. The session was a total success as I said and during that we had some spectators, some persons that were old D&D veterans, but couldn't spare any more time in D&D with their busy- married lives. Well you can imaging the outcome, once I told em that Maptools is designed for net gaming. End of story, they rolled their characters. Next session will run with 12 players online including me. If it is fast enough will be awesome. Raid option like in MMOs :wink:

9. I am bored to think of any other merit of my first session using Maptools, but there should plenty more. :D

Flaws:
1.Well none.

Once, I get some free time I will polish every detail of my custom campaign in Maptools and share it with you guys. Again my respect to every developer of Maptools and to Rumble for his 4.15 nowadays framework. You guys rock!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: First session across split monitor

Post by Azhrei »

Wow, that's great to hear, Ghiolekk! Such glowing praise is sure to have the contributors blushing. 8)

Would you mind a few questions? For example, which version of MapTool were you using? Did you take advantage of the vision-blocking layer (VBL)? Since you had two monitors on a single computer, how did you handle having the PCs move about -- did you move for them or did you pass around a mouse or some other technique?

And for the UI details: what are your thoughts on the creation of the map? the creation of VBL? Did you run the Player view in full-screen mode (that would be awesome at 42"!)?

Again, thanks for posting. It's reports like this that provide the encouragement to continue development. :)

Ghiolekk
Giant

Post by Ghiolekk »

Well if you blushed once, my players along with me were amazed 10 times back.
As i said i run two applications in a single PC. One was the DM and the other one the player. During the development of my campaign and around last August i recall that I was using 1.3 b61, though we played using the latest 1.3b63. I split the monitor and moved only the player's application in the big monitor. My group was simply sitting on the couch, eating pizza and pointing at the monitor via a laser pointer :P
(great slackers :D). I was coordinating the whole thing with one mouse and since I had ownership in all tokens I was executing the macros both from PCs and NPCs. All I can say is that my veteran players (believe me we play since 1995 2nd edition) did not seem to miss rolling dices.
As for VBL, well all I can say is that they rock. As soon as I finished mapping my campaign, I put them into test, after I watched the tutorials over youtube.
Drew them in the maps applied some more fogs in the areas and "voila" nearless breathtaking atmosphere if you place around 30 columns in one corridor :D
And the day broke and my mates went home to sleep happily ever after!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Excellent! Thanks again for telling us your story. :)

Return to “Session Report-Back”