First Time Use of Maptool

Tell us how you are using our gaming tools and how your sessions are going.

Moderator: Azhrei

Delgar
Cave Troll

First Time Use of Maptool

Post by Delgar »

Okay, so last night was my first time using Maptools and having people get connected. It was just a trial run, to get the players familiar with the tool and show them the framework were going to be using.

It went fairly well, much better than I expected. We only had one issue with one of the players on an older laptop freezing up when I switched maps and forced the players to the new map. But a restart and we were back on the way.

I made a simple little map with an inn on the side of the road, complete with VBL and Fog of War to demonstrate what the game would look and feel like once we start playing. Of course the inn was filled with dead bodies, gore and a few fell taint creatures (including one that burst out of the chest of one of the bodies, alien style).

Just want to say I love the tool, and look forward to using it in the future for my 4th edition eberron game that will hopefully be starting soon. I only wish I could make really nice maps. :)

heyes
Giant

Re: First Time Use of Maptool

Post by heyes »

Delgar wrote:
I made a simple little map with an inn on the side of the road, complete with VBL and Fog of War to demonstrate what the game would look and feel like once we start playing. Of course the inn was filled with dead bodies, gore and a few fell taint creatures (including one that burst out of the chest of one of the bodies, alien style).

Nice!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Sounds like fun!
Delgar wrote:It went fairly well, much better than I expected. We only had one issue with one of the players on an older laptop freezing up when I switched maps and forced the players to the new map. But a restart and we were back on the way.
Did you have all of the players use the same memory configuration as the server? Did his old laptop even have enough memory to do that? Basically, if the server has a larger memory configuration than the players, it's conceivable that the players could run out of memory.

One way to ensure all players use the same memory configuration is to use the Web Start approach available via the Launch page of the main web site. Save the file generated by clicking on the link and send it to the players -- now they can store it on their desktop and just double-click it to get the same settings. :)
[...] I only wish I could make really nice maps. :)
Heh, me too. :) I just scavenge them from other people's work!

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Sounds like fun, thanks for the report back !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “Session Report-Back”