Rite Publishing Considers Maptool Module

See an article about any RPTools tool ? Post it here !

Moderator: Azhrei

torstan
Great Wyrm

Rite Publishing Considers Maptool Module

Post by torstan »

Rite Publishing - one of the companies I do maps for - has started speculating about the possibility of creating and selling a commerial maptool module. This is still, by their own admission, wild speculation. However it is the first hint by an established company that there is an interest in this. Here's the thread (I have already chipped in a little and will continue to keep an eye on it).

http://ritepublishing.com/forums/viewto ... ?f=3&t=271

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Rite Publishing Considers Maptool Module

Post by Azhrei »

Sounds like a great start, especially given that the folks at Rite opened the dialog themselves.

If they are going to pursue this, I'd be happy to discuss with them any perceived deficiencies in MapTool with an eye towards correcting them before 1.3 goes final. I won't promise anything (and a large feature obviously won't get added this close to Final) but I'd certainly be willing and eager to hear their perspective.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

That's pretty cool :)

I'd be happy to field questions they may have as well.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

I've passed those offers on to the Head of Rite. As I said, I think this is a speculative project right now, so probably well after 1.3 goes final.

From my point of view, being able to have working hyperlinks in the notes field of an object token would be the most useful feature for a self contained module as that would allow direct access to the srd from a room description token - making it very easy to reference monster stats, trap rules, relevant rules for the conditions in a room. That would be a huge aid - and they already show up underlined in blue! Surely it's only a short step away from working ...... :)

Qwilion
Kobold

Post by Qwilion »

At this point its an idea about a future patronage project and nothing more, I have 4 patronage projects going right now and I want to get at least one of them off my plate before I decided to do another one. In the end it would depend on what the patrons wanted to pay for.

My initial concept was either an adventure or mini sandbox setting using a virtual tabletop, with a hands on tutorial being able to teach the paying patrons how to use and run a game over the internet, and making an effort to meet the needs of this small group of people (no more than 30).

What I have found with most patrons of these types of projects is that they have more money than time, and anything that cuts down on the time spent on a learning curve they may be willing to pay for.

Though I do think with the Demipllane in a Bottle style that Coliseum Morpheuon is that it would work well as a test bed.

Goes back to pondering.
Steve "Qwilion" Russell
Rite Publishing

"There is no wrong way to game....

But there is a Rite Way!"

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

I don't imagine it'll be an overnight thing, but the fun part is that it's being considered by people outside the rptools community :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Brigand
Read-only User

Post by Brigand »

I still do not want external hyperlinks opening webpages in MapTool. I would much rather have an internal database.

Qwilion
Kobold

Post by Qwilion »

yeah the funny thing is that me and jonathan love the maptool

Alot of my patrons are paizoians and they love TToprpg because one of thier own created it, and i have to go where the patrons point me.
Steve "Qwilion" Russell
Rite Publishing

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Well this project is progressing through the early stages of discussion. There's certainly interest. At this point it's an open discussion on the Rite forums:

http://www.ritepublishing.com/forums/vi ... ?f=3&t=323

If you would like to chip in with ideas or opinions then please feel free.

Qwilion
Kobold

Post by Qwilion »

What Jonathan does not know is that the admin has to activate the account (we were having a spam problem at the time) which makes it pretty exclusive to Patrons only :lol: , if you would like to register for our boards please contact me with your registered username, at steve (at) ritepublishing (dot) com
Subject Line: Maptool Patronage Project
Steve "Qwilion" Russell
Rite Publishing

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

I'm not going to register over there for one little post.

However, the discussion of the level of automation did catch my eye.

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=10015

That's my "Quick and Simple 4E" framework.

It's pretty stripped down in terms of automation. The most complex bits are the state manager. It's quite functional, but all the same it's also very simple, and very easy to just cut out and replace by savvy end users who want a different framework, while the more involved frameworks would not be.
jonroberts wrote:Now that's a good deal more complex and a lot of the coding in that case would have to be bought and paid for by Rite.
My framework is free to use. Some credits would be nice, but that's all.

torstan
Great Wyrm

Post by torstan »

Yep, I've been keeping an eye on your framework. That's very close to the level of automation that I use in my own game. Core functionality covers most of those things. Yours is an excellent example of that. I'll have a proper play with it and see how it goes. If we do end up using it I'll certainly credit you. I might have to edit sections as we go, but I'll get in touch beforehand if I do. Thanks very much for the offer.

Qwilion
Kobold

Post by Qwilion »

Thank you very much,

If we do end up using it, you will get some form of compensation, even if its just a royalty, we don't take no handouts :!:

Though it is very nice to know that if we need to we can have a very low threshold goal to start production.
Steve "Qwilion" Russell
Rite Publishing

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

torstan wrote:Yep, I've been keeping an eye on your framework. That's very close to the level of automation that I use in my own game. Core functionality covers most of those things. Yours is an excellent example of that. I'll have a proper play with it and see how it goes. If we do end up using it I'll certainly credit you. I might have to edit sections as we go, but I'll get in touch beforehand if I do. Thanks very much for the offer.
Quite a compliment, and thank you.
It's very simple, so anyone decent with macros should be able to extend and adjust it easily. Mind you, the level of simplicity it has is so much that there are no properties for Ability scores. You're supposed to do the math first, and just punch in final numbers. :)

On the flipside, if you need anything specific for it, just drop me a line and I'll hammer it out for you. Knowing what's under the hood makes it easy to extend.

I know what to do. I'll post a bunch of monster tokens!
Including ones with area attacks and recharges, which provide a base to edit and create from.

OK, I've updated the post in User Creations.

The framework hasn't changed, but I added a "Token Box" map with all my pre-existing tokens on it, ready for use.

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

Qwilion wrote:If we do end up using it, you will get some form of compensation, even if its just a royalty, we don't take no handouts :!:
Well if you're going to be like that... I am easily bribed with free product :)

Return to “RPTools Sightings”