RPTools.net

Discussion and Support

Skip to content

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:14 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
Demigod

Post subject: Maptool integration with the Dicenomicon.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:32 am 
What makes this even more amazing it that this guy seems to currently have the MT map viewable on an Itouch/Iphone/Ipad... unless I'm misunderstanding his post.

At any rate, some cross-communication with this site and his might bear some fruit:

http://boards.gandreas.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=590

User avatar  Offline
Cave Troll

Post subject: Re: Maptool integration with the Dicenomicon.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:57 pm 
Daddy like... :P

Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:16 pm 
Well, that's jawdropping. He's a pretty good programmer -- I use his Dicenomicon frequently and it's very flexible.

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:58 pm 
Have him contact us if he needs any information or help. Or perhaps something added to MapTool that would make his tools easier or better? (I wasn't going to register on his forum in order to make one post. ;))

He can use admin-at-rptools-dot-net but that goes directly to Trevor and we know how busy he is! He can also email me directly at sales-at-eec-dot-com and I'd be happy to coordinate.

User avatar  Offline
Demigod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:46 pm 
I'm not registered on his site, nor do I ever intend to purchase an Iphone/Itouch/Ipad (I don't like the software distribution model they use or the closed hardware architecture... no expansion slots, can't change out my own battery, won't support flash or silverlight... etc.) ... so I'm not the one to take point on this. But this looks like a substantial leap forward in someone coming up with a cross-platform interface to a very popular mobile device.

That and the Dicenomicon looks to be a pretty swanky app. ;)

Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:55 pm 
I will post and let him know. Thanks!

User avatar  Offline
Cave Troll

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:28 am 
This seems really interesting... keep us updated if you hear from him.

Dragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:43 am 
He's happily working along. Click through the image for the project page...

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:58 am 
Not much of a project page, eh? ;) I went there and it was empty. Except for this same image.

But it's a cool idea. Having a mobile MapTool platform allows for veritable game store in your hands no matter where you might be.

Dragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:43 am 
Azhrei wrote:
Not much of a project page, eh? ;) I went there and it was empty. Except for this same image.

It's pretty barebones. ;) I'm really curious about what he's doing -- there's no Java on iPhone OS, so he must have reverse engineered the protocol and written his own display layer?

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:17 pm 
Thanlis wrote:
there's no Java on iPhone OS, so he must have reverse engineered the protocol and written his own display layer?

Unlikely. He's probably generating the image in Java remotely and using something akin to "remote desktop" to display it.

Dragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:34 pm 
Azhrei wrote:
Thanlis wrote:
there's no Java on iPhone OS, so he must have reverse engineered the protocol and written his own display layer?

Unlikely. He's probably generating the image in Java remotely and using something akin to "remote desktop" to display it.

Ohh. Yeah, that makes sense.

User avatar  Offline
Deity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:39 am 
Azhrei wrote:
Thanlis wrote:

like ignition...

However I did come accross a java install for the iphone, but I've never got it to work. So its there but (beside a jailbreak which I do have) you'll need some iphone/java related technical skills to get it to work... I hope this is what he's aiming for.

My stuff
Excel Tools: Table and Light editors
MT Tools: Bag of Tricks: Tools for Maptool, Dungeon Builder I, Dungeon Builder II,onMouseOverEvent and
DPI.
Frameworks: Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Only War, SET Card Game, RoboRally
Wiki: Debugging Tutorial, Speed Up Your Macros, Working With Two CODE Levels, Shortcut Keys, Avoiding Stack Overflow, READ THIS

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:05 pm 
wolph42 wrote:
[...] So its there but (beside a jailbreak which I do have) you'll need some iphone/java related technical skills to get it to work... I hope this is what he's aiming for.

You want an iPhone app that requires the jailbreak and a wonky Java install so you can use it with MapTool?

While that's a great goal, I wouldn't be too excited over it myself (of course, I don't even own an iPhone!). The iPhone's processor is no speed demon so I wouldn't expect zooming and panning to be very quick. (And before you say the iPhone's current apps do just fine, remember that MapTool recalculates and rerenders the map viewport for every zoom change and all pans.) And the thing doesn't have a huge amount of memory IIRC, so medium to large maps may be beyond its capabilities.

Of course, I could be wrong about all that. I only know what I've read about the iPhone hardware and I haven't really been paying much attention to it...

User avatar  Offline
Demigod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:51 pm 
Azhrei wrote:
[(of course, I don't even own an iPhone!)

You have a "Pre"? A buddy of mine talks about how it shames his iTouch.

Unfortunately, the market hasn't taken to it all that well. Seems like Verizon is nearly given the "Pre +" away right now... If I wasn't still under contract I'd be tempted.

At least Android is getting some footholds.

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next