Maptool integration with the Dicenomicon.

See an article about any RPTools tool ? Post it here !

Moderator: Azhrei

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Maptool integration with the Dicenomicon.

Post by Azhrei »

Bah! I have a Motorola V3m. Yep, that's right -- a phone that really all it does is make phone calls! Imagine that!? 8)

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Azhrei wrote:
wolph42 wrote:[...] So its there but (beside a jailbreak which I do have) you'll need some iphone/java related technical skills to get it to work... I hope this is what he's aiming for.
You want an iPhone app that requires the jailbreak and a wonky Java install so you can use it with MapTool?

While that's a great goal, I wouldn't be too excited over it myself (of course, I don't even own an iPhone!). The iPhone's processor is no speed demon so I wouldn't expect zooming and panning to be very quick. (And before you say the iPhone's current apps do just fine, remember that MapTool recalculates and rerenders the map viewport for every zoom change and all pans.) And the thing doesn't have a huge amount of memory IIRC, so medium to large maps may be beyond its capabilities.

Of course, I could be wrong about all that. I only know what I've read about the iPhone hardware and I haven't really been paying much attention to it...
well... (writing this from my iPhone :D) i like to experiment with it, but no ts not my goal to run a game from my iPhone. Still I can thnk of some nice uses for it in comb with mt.

Amaril
Great Wyrm

Post by Amaril »

OK, I was a little jealous that gandreas didn't want to produce a Dicenomicon app for Android (and nothing like it exists for Android yet), but this is probably the only thing that makes me jealous of iPhone/iPad owners.

RPTroll, what are you doing with that Android development book you bought! If it's not this, you're wasting your time! (Kidding!) :P
Kristian

sushi
Kobold

Post by sushi »

FYI - Gandreas is now opening up for beta testers

http://boards.gandreas.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=642

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

Post by JonathanTheBlack »

I want the dice rolling in MapTool!

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Trevor was planning that for 1.4. He wanted the dice to roll on the map, pushing and scattering the tokens in the process (option of course). He said the animation process was crazy simple since I already made all those dice images. I think the hard part came with the other headaches that came along with rolling dice.

Anyway, I am uncertain where our stance is with 1.4 today.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Heh, pretty sharp. :)

gandreas
Kobold

Post by gandreas »

For those keeping score at home, MaPnakotic 1.0 has been submitted to the App Store, but it is still sitting at "Waiting For Review".

The basic client will be free, with the ability to connect to a server over WiFi (or 3G if you are masochistic), or be able to do simple "battle mats" (just an empty map that you can place pc/npc tokens and object on)

There's an in-app purchase for the virtual 3D dice (same technology as is used in The Dicenomicon) and another separate purchase to enable the "local files editor" (can access a campaign file you copy onto the device with iTunes, or you can make a simple campaign that including "painting", tokens in any layer, as well as set up line of sight blocking). Eventually there will be another one to enable server mode when I get that working (which will hopefully support both WiFi as well as "Game Kit" bluetooth to other nearby iOS devices).

Scubba
Cave Troll

Post by Scubba »

gandreas wrote:For those keeping score at home, MaPnakotic 1.0 has been submitted to the App Store, but it is still sitting at "Waiting For Review".
Looking forward to the announcement here when it is available!

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Gandreas, you should put up a video of this in action.

Do the dice results output to the chat window in MT?

And, just thinking out loud...

But it might be kind of cool if there could be some kind of custom MT function/feature (for macros) that would prompt a MapNakotic user for a Die roll instead of just using the randomizer. It could be some kind of generic flag to look for devices that can provide a Dicenomicon type roll. Mapnakotic would be the first to use it, but it could be open enough that other apps could use it too.

Maybe a flag on a macro that says something like, "Use External Die Roller if Present." And then have dice rolls in that macro poll clients for external roller support and wait for input (would be good to use a timer here.)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Gringoire
Cave Troll

Post by Gringoire »

There is an SDK that convert java to objective C.
You can develop your APP In jave, than you can compile it for iphone. i don't remember how it was called.

Just like flash CS5. :D
La nuova Era - Sito italiano dedicato a MapTool e D&D 4th edition.
Gringoire's FrameWork Il primo e unico FrameWork completamente italiano, sviluppato da un italiano.

gandreas
Kobold

Post by gandreas »

It is now available in the iTunes app store: <itms://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mapnakotic/id373314417?mt=8>

Yes, the dice results output to the chat window - it basically hooks into the standard roll mechanism. Just like if you did a macro [ x + y ] it would prompt you first for the value of x and then the value of y and then spit out the sum of the two, [ 3d6 ] will roll the dice and spit out the result (and "/roll 3d6" just gets mapped to that). It is smart enough to be able to combine rolls, so [ 3d6 + 2d4 ] will roll all 5 dice at once, instead of just the 3d6 and then the 2d4.

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

I'd download it right now, but my iPad is busy watching a product announcement. Heh. ;)
Reed (halfling sorcerer P3) // Collin (human fighter P2) // Cine (eladrin psion H2)
Sirath (deva shaman H1) // Alesk (dragonborn cleric H3) // Kevin (halfling barbarian H1)

Scubba
Cave Troll

Post by Scubba »

OK, downloaded, pretty darn neat.

Does it support hexes? I haven't connected to my game server yet to find out, but the settings doesn't look like it is supported.

Gringoire
Cave Troll

Post by Gringoire »

I've tested it, and it seems to have a lot of problems...
First, it doesn't work with frameworks... it's like it doesn't support [macro()] command.
Campaign panel, i don't know why, but it is always empty on iphone.
VBL doesn't work great, and vision is false.
Lights are good, and there is an improved light support (just a graphic improvement). With inApp purchase there are 3d dice roll, and possibility to edit, create, and store your own campaign...

Well, for now it is nothing special. better than nothing of course, but there are a lot of things that needs a debug/update.

In my honest opinion, if frameworks doesn't work with this application, this is simply unusefull.

With a tiny map on iphone 4 it works good, but with a lightly larger app this will become VERY slow.

It doesn't support LAN connection, and it doesn't support the list of maptool server. you have to provide the IP of server opened.

I hope that this project will become better.
La nuova Era - Sito italiano dedicato a MapTool e D&D 4th edition.
Gringoire's FrameWork Il primo e unico FrameWork completamente italiano, sviluppato da un italiano.

Return to “RPTools Sightings”