VGT Blog -- Support your free tables!!!

See an article about any RPTools tool ? Post it here !

Moderator: Azhrei

Duvik
Giant

VGT Blog -- Support your free tables!!!

Post by Duvik »

Here's a blog post I made on Virtual Gaming Tables...

I could use a little support on it in the comments area to let others know that there is no reason to use a paid table when the free ones kick arse.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... tml?cat=15

So, if you've got an extra couple minutes, please get yer butts over there and comment.
Get Paid to Run Games! Check out The Elite Array at The Tangled Web

The Tangled Web A community for players and DMs that prefer to play online pen and paper style rpgs using freeware Virtual Gaming Tables like MapTool. Connect with Game Masters that need players or else recruit for your own game. Now offering pay to play games in addition to our free games! Run with a professional GameMaster and you can rest assured that the show will go on week after week.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I couldn't post a comment for some reason. I tried and it looked like the entire comment was put into the URL! (The form method is apparently set to GET instead of POST! Ugh!) I'm not sure if that's indicative of the problem or not, though.

So I'll put it here instead. :) If someone wants to post it there and forge my name (please use Azhrei), I'd be grateful. :)
I took a look at the links posted by heruca (the author of BattleGrounds).

In looking through the list of apps, I decided to make a list of qualities that are important to me in a VGT. I came up with the following: platform-neutral, easy to use, as inexpensive as possible, sophisticated feature set, availability of addons/plugins, and configurability.

I won't go through my rant of *why* I consider those things important, as you the reader will likely have other priorities. But given that list of requirements I find MapTool to be the best application for me. OpenRPG is a contender, but I find the UI to be ... hm, perhaps "amateurish" is the best word?

Many of the others on the list of apps just are not serious contenders. ScreenMonkey, for example, looks very attractive because it runs in a web browser. But use ScreenMonkeyLite for more than a few minutes and you'll find that's it's quite cumbersome. It's possible that the pay-for version is better and actually usable, but I'm not going to spend money to find that out.

YMMV.

Return to “RPTools Sightings”