Maptools discussed on the Paizo boards

See an article about any RPTools tool ? Post it here !

Moderator: Azhrei

Paradox
Dragon

Maptools discussed on the Paizo boards

Post by Paradox »

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/pa ... Pathfinder

The thread is technically started about Fantasy Grounds, but only a few posts down it turns to a discussion of MapTools. Those that comment on MT are not attacking FG, but are pointing out that MT is also a fine product (and free).
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Maptools discussed on the Paizo boards

Post by Azhrei »

Thanks. I added another voice to the chorus. :)

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

@Azherei

This discussion is continuing and you might one to keep one eye peeled on it.

Someone has asked for those with practical expererience using the tools to make a side by side comparison.

The original poster as announced that he downloaded MT for the first time, tried it, found it complex and confusing, and pretty much declared it great... but for computer programmers/wizkids only.

(I'm paraphrasing)

That might be a valid perspective. Then again it might not. It definitely doesn't seem to be the impression you want to convey or have be conveyed.

I'm a new user myself, and have never tried any of the competing products (Battlegrounds or FG2), so I can't comment in fairness.

But you might want to observe the conversation some more.
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Thanks for the heads up !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Maccwar
Cave Troll

Post by Maccwar »

Paradox wrote:The original poster as announced that he downloaded MT for the first time, tried it, found it complex and confusing, and pretty much declared it great... but for computer programmers/wizkids only.
Saying 'only' is harsh but I thing the current state of things it help if you are a 'computer programmer/wizkid'. What percentage of people are using the 1.3 builds rather than the stable 1.2? What level of programming knowledge does it take to create macros and customise the application for your RPG system?

Once 1.3 is finalised I think we really should put a lot of effort into documentation and publicity and make sure that good user contributions are made easily available instead of all rushing into the 1.4 builds.

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

Macros will definitely be confusing for the uninitiated. Since it's, in essence, a programming language it will automatically turn of a measurable portion of users. Any effort to simplify that for people who aren't used to languages would help MTs appeal a good bit.
I cast firecube! ~4E

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

I think Trevor is aware that MT's interface continues to be one of its biggest weakness. He's indicated that 1.4 will have a larger focus on beautification.

Many of the best things MT can do requires unattractive lines of syntax to achieve desired results. The interface for things like Token Properties, Light, Sight, and "health" bars are screaming for a prettier interface for management and editing. The thing is, people continue to scream louder for features. ;)

More formalized "rule-sets" in the future will be nice for users (and I applaud macro writers on the cutting edge of that movement) but a lot of the power of the macro system needs to be made more accessible through the interface itself. For example, just because super-cool character sheets can be built with macros doesn't mean that people don't want a super-cool character sheet builder and manager inside MT. In fact, the new macro sets show just how much they do want it.

All in good time...
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Full Bleed wrote:
All in good time...
And hopefully short time :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Paizo moved the article and when they do that, it's a pain to find stuff. :( Their forum software uses the title of the first post as the only identifier, which means there is NO WAY to have a permanent link.

Anyway, here is the new link for those that might want to read through the thread: http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/pa ... Pathfinder

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

trevor wrote:
Full Bleed wrote:
All in good time...
And hopefully short time :)
Yeah! Get on that! Jeez, man, wasn't I saying about two years ago the interface, it's the interface man!

:wink:
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Return to “RPTools Sightings”