How HTML sites might be configured to support MapTool C.F.'s

See an article about any RPTools tool ? Post it here !

Moderator: Azhrei

Paradox
Dragon

How HTML sites might be configured to support MapTool C.F.'s

Post by Paradox »

In the subject line, "C.F.'s" means campaign frameworks.

There has been some work by campaign framework authors to utilize links to srd20.org.

With the advent of Pathfinder RPG, new html sites are popping up to fill the same role that for Pathfinder RPG. Both in the Beta Stage, and in the upcoming final rules version that is coming out in August.

Our own Toyrobots has been over at the Paizo boards trying to explain to one prospective html SRD author, why the design of his site could impact campaign frameworks that might be written to support Pathfinder RPG in MapTools.

And consequently MapTools is getting mentioned all over the place.

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/pa ... ndComments

Toyrobots might have things well in hand, but this is indicative of how as technology increases, we find more ways to use it. If campaign framework authors are so inclined, it might be cool to see even more emphasis on the fact that you can make an online reference tool that can be used just by the face to face tabletop crowd, OR.. you can make an online reference that also services the VTT community.
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: How HTML sites might be configured to support MapTool C.F.'s

Post by Azhrei »

Do you know if jreyst is a user here?

In that thread there are some comments about having each spell on a separate page and given the format that is currently being used on the above site, it should be simple to create a Perl script that separates each spell onto its own page. I'd be more than happy to work on that and it wouldn't affect his ongoing effort since it could be executed only when he's completed all of the spells.

Anyway, I'll be keeping this in mind for future use. :)

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

Azhrei wrote:Do you know if jreyst is a user here?

In that thread there are some comments about having each spell on a separate page and given the format that is currently being used on the above site, it should be simple to create a Perl script that separates each spell onto its own page. I'd be more than happy to work on that and it wouldn't affect his ongoing effort since it could be executed only when he's completed all of the spells.

Anyway, I'll be keeping this in mind for future use. :)
I don't think he is.. There's no way to contact him directly through Paizo's board.. but obviously there is through his website.

I don't think he understands MapTools, or is aware of it more than in just conceptual terms.

Perhaps I'll shoot him a note with a link to this thread and we can explain it to him. That is, this is an opportunity to have his site be used and enjoyed by an even broader base.
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

I shot him a note via e-mail and invited him to review this thread, join the board if he'd like to, and said that maybe we can explain it to him.. as well as your offer to help, Azhrei.

jreyst
Kobold

Post by jreyst »

Hey guys! Ok, here's the deal. I have not used Maptools, but I think I get the idea of what it is. I am appreciative of the offer to help with the site in anyway and would happily make anyone a collaborator on the site if you think you can help in any way. Just so everyone knows, the site is a Google Site, which means it is somewhat more limited than a "standard" site, in that I do not have the ability to upload or import actual html/asp/jsp/whatever pages, I have to use the Google design tool for making the pages. With that said, I'm not sure how much help it would be stripping the spells into individual pages in a "standard" (ie, scripted) way, because most likely the output would be a big pile of html pages that I couldn't really upload. The way I am going to have to do it is something like

1) Create new page in Google Sites
2) Name page <spellname>
3) Copy formatted spell details from page where they are now
4) Paste formatted spell details to newly created page
5) Save page.
6) Repeat

A long, tedious, process. I'm more than happy to have anyone here help and I'd even highly promote Maptools if we could make sure that it works with the site well.

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

EDIT: I have edited my last post. I completely forgot that new members of the board require their first posts to be reviewed by a moderator before they are visible. (Because if the SPAMBOT PLAGUE)

I thought he was either confused, or worse, disinterested in speaking to us on this board directly- nothing could be further from the truth.

He has replied, and is just waiting to have his posting rights approved.

The misunderstanding was mine, and I sincerely apologize if I mischaracterized him.

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

I just approved his post. Approvals can take a while because there's only a couple of us, and we do have lives, sadly.

jreyst
Kobold

Post by jreyst »

Wow this thread died moments after I arrived. I must have the touch of death. For everyones information, I registered the domain name www.d20pfsrd.com and that resolves to teh google site now... in case that makes anyones job easier.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

jreyst wrote:Wow this thread died moments after I arrived. I must have the touch of death. For everyones information, I registered the domain name http://www.d20pfsrd.com and that resolves to teh google site now... in case that makes anyones job easier.
Yeah, unfortunately real life intervenes sometimes and hobbies have to sit on the back shelf. For me, I have a three day business meeting next week in another state so I'm working long hours to get as much done with it as possible. I've been purposefully avoiding visiting this forum so that I can get some work done!

Regarding uploading HTML, there doesn't seem to be any way to do that. :( So you're right in that splitting them into separate pages is not going to be easy. It may require a little bit more work on my end, but I can probably still create a Lib: token with PF spells on it, I'll just have to split them apart on my end instead of downloading them already split (sch as the 3.5E SRD). No biggie.

Return to “RPTools Sightings”